Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 02:54 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times

Advertisements

I'm an outsider looking at the race from a distance, but I know a little about Texas. It's full of small little towns and communities that never get the attention that goes to Dallas/Ft.Worth or Houston or Austin.

Beto has been visiting all those little towns, and listening and talking to their people. One thing I know about small towns is the folks who live in them are used to being ignored by politicians, but being used to it doesn't mean they like it. They want to be heard just as much as the big-city folks.

There aren't enough of them to ever win an election over the big cities, but in a tight race, they could make all the difference. Beto knows that.

Shaking a person's hand is a hell of a lot more effective than seeing a candidate on television any day of the week.Especially when the candidate who shakes your hand looks you straight in the eye and says he's on your side.

That's all I know. I think Cruz has his work cut out for him if he intends to keep his job. Texas is a big state. Cruz doesn't have the time to cover it like Beto did now.

The real unknown is whether or not the conservatism of rural Texans will prevail when a lot of folks don't ever see anything in their lives changing for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 03:14 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,598,365 times
If ever I doubted my vote should go to Ted Cruz even though I kind of, sort of don't like him, the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings put that to rest.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:27 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,736,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
If ever I doubted my vote should go to Ted Cruz even though I kind of, sort of don't like him, the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings put that to rest.
Texans deserve that Grandpa Munster face that could crack a mirror.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:13 PM

24,021 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The chicken chit way the Rs have handle court appointments is reason enough for me to never vote R again. Ever.

If a year remaining in a POTUS's term is not long enough to consider a nominee, the pitcher umping the game isn't either. Trump shouldn't get to appoint anybody to anything until this Mueller investigation is over. He may have not know anything about Russians, but it clear most around him was taking bribes and laundering Russian money.

Now comes Cruz to bless it with his votes?

Old 09-04-2018, 06:37 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Texans deserve that Grandpa Munster face that could crack a mirror.
And a voice to go with it. Did you hear him speak at the Supreme Court nominee meeting today? He sounded like a fake scripted politician. You can't believe a word he says because he has sold his soul to politics. It doesn't even seem like Lyin' Ted believes what he's saying. That's how fake he sounds.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 PM

1,733 posts, read 950,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm an outsider looking at the race from a distance, but I know a little about Texas. It's full of small little towns and communities that never get the attention that goes to Dallas/Ft.Worth or Houston or Austin.

Beto has been visiting all those little towns, and listening and talking to their people. One thing I know about small towns is the folks who live in them are used to being ignored by politicians, but being used to it doesn't mean they like it. They want to be heard just as much as the big-city folks.

There aren't enough of them to ever win an election over the big cities, but in a tight race, they could make all the difference. Beto knows that.

Shaking a person's hand is a hell of a lot more effective than seeing a candidate on television any day of the week.Especially when the candidate who shakes your hand looks you straight in the eye and says he's on your side.

That's all I know. I think Cruz has his work cut out for him if he intends to keep his job. Texas is a big state. Cruz doesn't have the time to cover it like Beto did now.

The real unknown is whether or not the conservatism of rural Texans will prevail when a lot of folks don't ever see anything in their lives changing for the better.

Cruz is very popular, despite the left's contention otherwise. And btw, Cruz was in Llano, a small Texas town just this weekend, talking to the townspeople and answering questions.

https://www.cityofllano.com/

Many Texans do see their lives improving, particularly small business owners like my husband and I. The optimism is palatable these days.

Beto has had the privilege of using his family name to get out of trouble several times. And as Kibby noted, his body language in the old video speaks for itself.

Beto is a handsome man, but that is the last thing I consider when considering who to vote for.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,690,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If you follow Rep. O'Rourke on FB, as I do, there is a terrific video up today showing a town hall in Big Cedar Park this morning.

Very big, enthusiastic turnout in the Texas heat.
Cedar Park, is basically Northwest Austin. A blue dot in the Sea of Red.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,400,043 times
Contrary to what some people have said, Beto does NOT support open borders.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
And a voice to go with it. Did you hear him speak at the Supreme Court nominee meeting today? He sounded like a fake scripted politician. You can't believe a word he says because he has sold his soul to politics. It doesn't even seem like Lyin' Ted believes what he's saying. That's how fake he sounds.

I watched Ted today, and concisely laid out the facts about the large number of documents released regarding Kavanaugh's opinions in over 300 cases. Frankly, the democrats came across as childish, immature, fools.

Per Durbin, the dems had a conference call over the w/e to plan for a staged protest at the hearing, and the protests by "random" citizens were certainly pre-planned and ridiculous.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Contrary to what some people have said, Beto does NOT support open borders.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018...gration-policy

For months, Cruz has portrayed O’Rourke as out of the mainstream. A Cruz campaign jingle claimed O’Rourke favors open borders and taking people’s guns — claims a leading fact-checking service found to be mostly false. More recently, Cruz said O’Rourke “is open to abolishing ICE,” the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency. Politifact Texas found that to be mostly true.
At Laredo’s North Central Park on Saturday morning, O’Rourke was heckled for emphasizing President Donald Trump’s zero-tolerance policy. Until Trump suspended it recently, the policy required ICE to separate children of unauthorized immigrants from their parents.
Former Webb County sheriff’s department Capt. Jerry Carmona, a Trump supporter, allowed O’Rourke to finish a pep talk to block-walkers, people who volunteer to knock on doors to help generate higher voter turnout. The two then huddled.
Afterward, Carmona, 56, said of O’Rourke, “He’s a real good guy.” But Carmona said Trump is “righteous” in cracking down on illegal immigration. He said O’Rourke underestimates security risks caused by a porous U.S.-Mexico border. So do far too many residents of Laredo, who as Democrats “are one-party minded,” he said with evident disapproval.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/07...s-abolish-ice/

Politically, the issue has already flared up in the U.S. Senate race between Republican incumbent Ted Cruz and U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso. Asked about abolishing ICE Friday at a town hall in San Antonio, O'Rourke discussed the need to eliminate fear in immigrant communities under Trump and to find a better way to enforce immigration laws. “And if that involves doing away with this agency, giving that responsibility to somebody else, changing how this agency performs, I’m open to doing that,” O’Rourke said.
Yet he went on to flatly answer no when directly asked if he would abolish ICE, explaining that he does not currently know enough about how immigration law would be enforced without the agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections