Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 07:29 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,992,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Or... you just want to see a better organization take its place that can both enforce laws without committing human and constitutional rights violations. It's a shame so many people think that is not worth trying for. Actually, it's more like a g-d tragedy. Issues like this really separate people into who they really are.
Oh please. There's nothing stopping anyone from making changes at ICE. And any organization that takes its place will either be exactly the same, or useless.

Face it, libs are using the "get rid of ICE" to paint conservatives as racists, fill their campaign coffers, and pander to their base.

You're right, it does show people as who they are. Me, personally, I'm someone that expects laws to be followed, and if you do not, steps must be taken to make sure that the violator is removed and/or punished. I'm someone that puts American citizens before any criminals sneaking into our country. I'm someone that is disgusted with those criminals using children as shields to avoid the consequences of their actions. I'm someone that knows human trafficking and open border goes hand in hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:40 AM

24,021 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Oh please. There's nothing stopping anyone from making changes at ICE. And any organization that takes its place will either be exactly the same, or useless.

Face it, libs are using the "get rid of ICE" to paint conservatives as racists, fill their campaign coffers, and pander to their base.

You're right, it does show people as who they are. Me, personally, I'm someone that expects laws to be followed, and if you do not, steps must be taken to make sure that the violator is removed and/or punished. I'm someone that puts American citizens before any criminals sneaking into our country. I'm someone that is disgusted with those criminals using children as shields to avoid the consequences of their actions. I'm someone that knows human trafficking and open border goes hand in hand.
When are the laws going to be enforced? We are years into the Wall controversy. Lawsuit regarding land acquisition are still pending.

Only a handful of the 11 million have been deported. When is anybody going to get serious about deporting illegals? I have been waiting 40 years to see it.

IMO, it will never happen because employers want cheap labor and bleeding hearts think they can save the world. We can stop it today by jailing employers and not doing business with known businesses that hire illegals.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
A president is elected for a 4-year term. There is no such thing in the Constitution or anywhere that says a president cannot nominate someone to the SC in his final year. There is nothing that supports what the Republicans did. They refused to adhere to their sworn duties as members of Congress. They were obligated to give the man a hearing. They could've easily done that and rejected Garland, but they had to give him the hearing. They chose not to at all. Republicans always do things like this, failing to realize that they're undermining their own position when power inevitably changes. Not only that, but failing to adhere to constitutional duties and long-established norms only further damages the system. What happens when the severe partisanship shown by Republicans becomes the norm? Do the parties simply refuse to confirm anyone nominated by the other party? How does the judicial branch not end up collapsing in that scenario? Republicans are doing serious, lasting damage.
did I say or even indicate a president was not allowed to nominate a person for the supreme court even up to the last day in office? O f course I didn't. You might want to re-read what I said before making such a comment Now, would you tell me, did the Republicans make any serious effort to stop the nomination of the other two supreme court justices Obama nominated? No, they did not. Talk about being so biased you can't think straight, you just showed that is what you are.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:54 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,735,546 times
Undocumented workers are not going to be shipped out of here. Americans want their produce and they don't want to pick it. Farmers are not going to hire Americans at minimum wage to pick it. Plus, Americans won't pick produce for minimum wage; they could go to work in an air conditioned fast food restaurant for the same money.

It's not going to happen. Luckily, you still get your avocados and oranges and they're not taking your job (unless you are an unemployed migrant produce-picker). They also pay sales tax that goes into programs you enjoy.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So Trump will not get a third if a SCJ leaves eleven months before the end of Trump's term, correct? Because I'm really looking forward to seeing the GOP try to justify otherwise, especially someone like Cruz.
and you know what? I happen to agree with you. Would the GOP try? Of course they would, should they be successful? i would think not. Of course it would depend a lot on the balance of the house at the time. More than saying what is right or wrong, I am simply saying what the difference in the two situation are. I din't even say I agree, one way or the other. I am saying I understand.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
We're probably closer to the end of the Trump administration now, versus Mar 2016 when Obama had 10 more months in office.

Chew on that for awhile. It's real.
Again, there is a huge difference. Even if Trump were to be out of office, which there really is not much to suggest he will be, we would still have a Republican President and probably a Republican congress. We can't just look at something based on what might happen.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:24 AM

24,021 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Undocumented workers are not going to be shipped out of here. Americans want their produce and they don't want to pick it. Farmers are not going to hire Americans at minimum wage to pick it. Plus, Americans won't pick produce for minimum wage; they could go to work in an air conditioned fast food restaurant for the same money.

It's not going to happen. Luckily, you still get your avocados and oranges and they're not taking your job (unless you are an unemployed migrant produce-picker). They also pay sales tax that goes into programs you enjoy.
Read up on what illegals do. Those who work crops are already protected. And they are a very small percentage of the 11 million here.

I know a guy who has been doing remodeling in Houston for years . He makes 50 bucks and hour, easy. If you want him, the wait is at least 6 weeks. Just found out he was illegal. They ladies who clean houses in my neighborhood make 125 for5 hours work.

The ones who work in the packing plants, hospitality industries and construction for builders are the ones getting screwed. But we like our cheap houses and restaurant meals. Bet if you asked the 'throw the bums out' crowd it meant prices would go up, you get a different answer. Those who want illegals gone are just not thinking clearly. Some of us want those people brought here as kids to have at least a green card so they do not have to spend a lifetime in the shadows. And some think if this would get resolved, illegals would talk to the cops when something happens.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:52 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,736,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you know what? I happen to agree with you. Would the GOP try? Of course they would, should they be successful? i would think not. Of course it would depend a lot on the balance of the house at the time. More than saying what is right or wrong, I am simply saying what the difference in the two situation are. I din't even say I agree, one way or the other. I am saying I understand.
Why shouldn’t the same rules apply? How could it possibly be justified otherwise? How could a GOP Senate justify electing a SCJ in Trump’s last year after denying Merrick Garland even a hearing?

Old 09-06-2018, 11:00 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,050,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Why shouldn’t the same rules apply? How could it possibly be justified otherwise? How could a GOP Senate justify electing a SCJ in Trump’s last year after denying Merrick Garland even a hearing?
It's easy, they would be doing it for the good of the country. We elected them to protect and service this nation, there's no better way to serve and protect Americans than to prevent democrats from making progress with their agenda.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:12 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,224,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IMO, it will never happen because employers want cheap labor and bleeding hearts think they can save the world. We can stop it today by jailing employers and not doing business with known businesses that hire illegals.
I'm towards the other end of the political spectrum but this is absolutely spot on. One thing that never gets mentioned is that people who are here illegally do not get the benefit of the $ they have to funnel into the tax system, have no legal right to most protections provided citizens and are easy victim for a host of scams and crimes because they cannot report them.

I would be all for a quest worker program that at least let us track who was here. And guaranteed some semblance of fairness to both them and citizens who would often (but far from always) like more employment options. Its funny because illegal immigration has become a lot like prostitution- everyone blames the hooker not the john. It takes two people to accomplish the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections