Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:49 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe that is because many of us no longer fill our cars with bumper stickers?I know we do not see nearly as many on either side anymore. The bumper sticker is no indication as to how an entire community will vote. Most of us have outgrown the bumper sticker game.
Oh, I know. It was just my little throw in to the conversation ....something that I noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
I just saw this on the MSN homepage and thought I'd post it (the 'under the headline' shows it's from the Houston Chronicle's Austin bureau from 5 hours ago).....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...OoG?li=BBnb7Kz

^^^^^ Title of the link:

Ted Cruz asks Trump to campaign for him in Texas

Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,740,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
not really. Most show Cruz comfortably ahead

but I keep hearing Texas is turning blue every year so maybe the libs prediction will finally come true lol
Texas hasn't been blue since LBJ.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Yep. Oh, Cruz isn't taking any chances, which is smart. And he'll campaign as if its a real race to ensure that his voters don't stay home. But, let's get real here: even in a year where Dem enthusiasm has outpaced GOP enthusiasm by a lot, over 500,000 more Republicans voted for the GOP as opposed to the Dems during the primaries in Texas this year. I highly, highly doubt that Cruz thinks he's in trouble.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe that is because many of us no longer fill our cars with bumper stickers?I know we do not see nearly as many on either side anymore. The bumper sticker is no indication as to how an entire community will vote. Most of us have outgrown the bumper sticker game.
And some of us in TX who support liberal candidates have too much common sense to put that on our cars and have them keyed, trashed, or whatever if they are parked in large public lots or even in our driveways
Houses in my area (Tarrant county) have had signs for candidates in their yards -- totally legal to do that--
And had their homes graffiti sprayed by vandals--
Not to say from their neighborhood--but from somewhere close to know they were there...

Having political advertising overtly displayed can be seen as a challenge by some who support the other side

Make your preference known in the voting booth, at rallys if you want to do that, donating, volunteering--
But some areas and people aren't that great at respecting others' opinions...

Old 08-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. Oh, Cruz isn't taking any chances, which is smart. And he'll campaign as if its a real race to ensure that his voters don't stay home. But, let's get real here: even in a year where Dem enthusiasm has outpaced GOP enthusiasm by a lot, over 500,000 more Republicans voted for the GOP as opposed to the Dems during the primaries in Texas this year. I highly, highly doubt that Cruz thinks he's in trouble.
Then why is he so afraid to hold an open house in Texas -- open to all his constituents--even Democrats?
Cruz is a wuss
He knuckled under to Trump after Trump lied about his dad and dissed his wife--
And face it--in some primaries there were no Democratic candidates running--comparing numbers of voters in primaries is meaningless
I voted in GOP primary trying to get a decent GOP choice vs the clown that is my state representative
But I would never vote GOP if there was a Democrat running for the same office in the general election...

Old 08-08-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
TX had a Democratic govenor 91-95--Anne Richards
Bob Krueger was Democratic Senatior about that time

Are you a Texan or a transplant?

Old 08-08-2018, 06:08 PM

17,447 posts, read 9,285,984 times
Quote:
Sigh ........ Not True.
Why post incorrect things are readily available to check for veracity?

Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 PM

17,447 posts, read 9,285,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Then why is he so afraid to hold an open house in Texas -- open to all his constituents--even Democrats?
Cruz is a wuss
He knuckled under to Trump after Trump lied about his dad and dissed his wife--
And face it--in some primaries there were no Democratic candidates running--comparing numbers of voters in primaries is meaningless
I voted in GOP primary trying to get a decent GOP choice vs the clown that is my state representative
But I would never vote GOP if there was a Democrat running for the same office in the general election...
I have no idea how long you have lived in Texas/Voted in Texas .... BUT, when Texas was TOTALLY dominated by Democrats .... I always voted Democrat. How else do you have a vote that actually counts ? The Democrats dominated Texas politics for almost 100 years. Texas was BLUE

Until their corruption caught up with them (Sharpstown) and Ann Richards let herself get talked into going "progressive" over GUNS. That was the the final nail in the Democrats coffin.

We stumbled around a bit in the 1980's with a Republican here or there -- but it all came crashing down on what was left of the Texas Democrats in 1994, when Democratic Governor Ann Richards lost her bid for re-election against Republican George W. Bush, ending an era in which Democrats controlled the governorship for all but eight of the past 120 years. Republicans have won the governorship ever since. In 2002, Texas Republicans gained control of the Texas House of Representatives for the first time since Reconstruction.

Think about that for a minute. Texas has essentially had only control of the Governors House since 1994 and ONLY 3 Texas Governors - George Bush, Rick Perry & Greg Abbot. The Democrats became extinct in Texas - and often didn't even bother to field candidates in State Wide Elections ... which are notoriously difficult to win.

Texans are a different breed - historically Democrat, but a different type of Democrat and they no longer exist. Some would call them "moderate" - but I just remember them as TEXANS.

When being a TEXAN is more important than "Turning Texas Blue" ....... perhaps they will return.
I'm not a fan of Ted Cruz, many Texans aren't -- BUT the majority of Texans have no interest in Gun Grabbers, Fake Texans, Washington Battleground Texans, those that throw Tampons and wear Pink Tennis Shoes or those that few Texans even know.

Ted Cruz really wee-wee'd in his tortillas - BUT, he is correct to ask for help from the President - because Texans are pragmatic, more Texan than Partisan and even willing to give another chance to those that make mistakes and make attempts to make it right.

I predict that Trump understands Texans better than Yankee/Left-Right Coast Yankees do and he will campaign in Texas to help Ted Cruz hold a Senate Seat. We believe in 2nd chances, but not 3rd chances.

It will be interesting to watch in both 2018 and 2020. Texas is more than some sort of "prize" or Brass Ring Trophy. It's a way of life that we revere and will protect. Davey Crockett said it best and it still holds ...... You may all go to (hades), I'm going to Texas. Free and always will be.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

I predict that Trump understands Texans better than Yankee/Left-Right Coast Yankees do

Isn't Trump what you call a "Yankee/Left-Right Coast Yankee"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections