Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes
I know some other Texans who moved to Colorado because it is more liberal in some ways than Texas

Beto reminds me of Jimmy Stewart w/that earnest, stalwart persona--
Remember "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "It's a Wonderful Life", "Winchester 73", "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance"?
On the other hand, Cruz reminds me of Lionel Barrymore's Mr. Potter-- the lying, miserly curmudgeon in "It's a Wonderful Life"--
George Bailey won out over Mr. Potter--
Maybe we can have a Frank-Capra designed Senate election...
Same here, Beto has an earnestness that is rare to see these days. Cruz was even willing to overlook Trump insulting his wife and father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 06:41 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:

Why are you calling/assuming Beto O'Rourke who is like 4th generation Texas less "Texan" than Ted Cruz born in Canada, whose parents certainly aren't Texan.
I see you missed both my point and the Texas History Lesson on Politics.
That is OK - it's not an unusual thing. Missed that I'm not a Cruz fan also.
I'm going to give it ONE more shot -
Washington D.C. is absolutely clueless about Texas Politics and it's History.
It's exactly why Texan Battleground (with all it's Millions failed).
We know we are the Brass Ring (for the Leftists), but we just want to be Texas[/quote]

Quote:
How long have you been a Texan? Or your family?
My better half doesn't consider me a "real Texan" at all - one of my parents was born North of the Red River. My grandparents came from Eastern Europe on one side and were Native Americans in the Oklahoma Territory on the other side. Better Half (the true Texans ) moved up from Mexico in the 1800's to settle(also originally from Eastern Europe), but made a serious mark in the areas they settled in. Texas History Books type of stuff. We also still own Land right on the Rio Grande and fully understand the unique Symbiosis of Mexico and the USA ...... which NONE of the CongressCritters (right or left) appear to do.

All that said -- how long you lived in Texas is not the point. Texas is (and always has been) a Land of Immigrants and many of them began in Mexico. Where you came from is never as important as what you did after you arrived and whether you understand what being a Texan is.

Trust me ...... It's not for everyone. Some come and would never leave the freedom and get-along-ability. Some come and want to "change it" to something or the other. Some want to be Texans and some want Texas to be them. Lot of money and power in Texas and some use their power to corrupt or grease the skids for their kiddos. Texas cleared the decks of a lot of that Corruption by the 90's, they are unlikely to invite it back in.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Really, some of you need to get rid of the 'Texas used to be Blue/Democrat' idea.

Texas, where I have lived all of my 63 years, has always been 'conservative'. While the two parties switched identities after the 1960s, the basic conservatism of Texas has not changed.

Sure, you had some outliers over the decades, but if you look at the political philosophy of most of our elected leaders, and ignore the party label, you will see this is true.

George Wallace was a 'Democrat', but only a nut would say that he was 'liberal'.

As LBJ truly said when signing the Civil Rights Act into law, "We have lost the South for a generation".
By 'we', he was speaking of the Democratic party as it then existed in the south.
Absolutely True -- Texas Democrats were a different type of Democrat. Some of them still around.
Washington D.C. and the "New Leftists" moved on. The Legislature actually stays pretty Purple - Texans prefer Balance ...... they look at what is going on in the rest of the Nation and say to themselves.
"I don't think so". Only a few Statewide Offices have real power in Texas, even fewer Officials know how to wield that power. Rick Perry certainly did - it's why he was Governor for 14 years.
Not even close to as stupid as the Leftist Media portrayed him ... and I voted against him more than once.

Four main things that make Texas work well. A few others are important, but these are the best.
1. Comptroller has to approve all laws. (spending & can we afford it).
2. Only let the CongressCritters assemble for 140 days - every other year.
3. If they can't work together and produce for the people - replace them.
4. Sunset Law - every Agency, every Program has a review to prove their effectiveness every 10 years - or it's abolished.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Even though I know there are many people who think Beto has a chance because of how hard he has worked and how compelling his presence is, I admit that Cruz has the weight of numbers since many Texans are just numb from the neck up
Beto has a chance - elections can be unpredictable. He has a LOT more money than Cruz and appears more likable. Cruz had a good resume, but he apparently decided that if a 1st term Senator from Illinois could blast his way into the White House .... how hard could it be? He concentrated on that goal for 4 years and fell flat on his face. Texans didn't like it - even though they barely supported him in his Presidential Primary. He is lucky he wan't primaried by a Top Name in the Texas GOP - and I think he is aware of that.

Leftists tell us History says - it's a Blue Wave and odds are that the opposition party will win big.
As I posted before -- you have to dig down in the polls, check out the questions and look at all the figures and not just the "Headline" which is Up/Down.

Beto's biggest hurdle is the "I don't know enough about him" ...... at around 45% of the electorate with 100 days from Election Day. That's in a State of 254 Counties. It's a high hurdle

We know your opinion of Texans - "numb from the neck up" i.e. ..... Stupid-Ignorant-Racists.
Not much of a Campaign slogan for any Candidate -
....... but the Leftists just can't help but insult the voters.

That actually could have a lot to do with Losing over 1,000 seats in the last decade.
Beto is in favor of Abolishing Ice and said he would vote for Impeachment - neither will fly well down here.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:15 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. Oh, Cruz isn't taking any chances, which is smart. And he'll campaign as if its a real race to ensure that his voters don't stay home. But, let's get real here: even in a year where Dem enthusiasm has outpaced GOP enthusiasm by a lot, over 500,000 more Republicans voted for the GOP as opposed to the Dems during the primaries in Texas this year. I highly, highly doubt that Cruz thinks he's in trouble.
Statewide elected Repubs generally don’t agree to debates unless they think that they are in trouble. The fact that cruz is agreeing to debates with a Dem in beet-red Texas tells you all that you need to know.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:34 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,548 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I see you missed both my point and the Texas History Lesson on Politics.
That is OK - it's not an unusual thing. Missed that I'm not a Cruz fan also.
I'm going to give it ONE more shot -
Washington D.C. is absolutely clueless about Texas Politics and it's History.
It's exactly why Texan Battleground (with all it's Millions failed).
We know we are the Brass Ring (for the Leftists), but we just want to be Texas

[/quote]

Battleground Texas had a 10 year plan, and we are only in year 6. And Considering Hillary Clinton gained 500,000 votes over Barack Obama,which outpaced the actual percentage of new voters comparatively, it would seem Battleground is working just fine.

I dont think the point is even to win Texas( which probably wont be possible 2024), its to make Republicans spend money in Texas.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Beto has a chance - elections can be unpredictable. He has a LOT more money than Cruz and appears more likable. Cruz had a good resume, but he apparently decided that if a 1st term Senator from Illinois could blast his way into the White House .... how hard could it be? He concentrated on that goal for 4 years and fell flat on his face. Texans didn't like it - even though they barely supported him in his Presidential Primary. He is lucky he wan't primaried by a Top Name in the Texas GOP - and I think he is aware of that.

Leftists tell us History says - it's a Blue Wave and odds are that the opposition party will win big.
As I posted before -- you have to dig down in the polls, check out the questions and look at all the figures and not just the "Headline" which is Up/Down.

Beto's biggest hurdle is the "I don't know enough about him" ...... at around 45% of the electorate with 100 days from Election Day. That's in a State of 254 Counties. It's a high hurdle

We know your opinion of Texans - "numb from the neck up" i.e. ..... Stupid-Ignorant-Racists.
Not much of a Campaign slogan for any Candidate -
....... but the Leftists just can't help but insult the voters.

That actually could have a lot to do with Losing over 1,000 seats in the last decade.
Beto is in favor of Abolishing Ice and said he would vote for Impeachment - neither will fly well down here.
You apparently for someone who "hates" Ted Cruz manage to repeat two of the canards he is using against Beto O'Rourke

Beto is not in favor of ending ICE--
He said he would work with ones who want to do that to achieve a BETTER, more just, version -- which should be any true Americans' point of view--
Case in point the woman and her child that were spirited away, out of the country Wed by ICE (and likely other DHS admins) despite a COURT ORDER they remain in the country for adjudication---the court ordered the plane to return immediately when he found out how his orders were disobeyed... Stephen Miller and others in the WH are showing their alt-right roots and views with their heavy-handed and overt attempt to white-wash America just like Laura Ingraham yesterday on FoxNews...

And he doesn't want to "impeach" Trump like it is a foregone conclusion and a frame up by Mueller and the Dems--he wants to have a fair, accurate assessment of the EVIDENCE and let the facts determine the acts of the Congress--apparently that possiblility scares many GOP and they have every intention to remove Rod Rosentein to get to Mueller...

https://www.politifact.com/texas/sta...ll-donald-tru/

You apparently missed my qualifier "MANY"
Many Texans are racist
Many Texans do vote against their own self-interest by voting GOP
Many Texans think their rights as a worker are respected and protected by being in a right-to-work state when they are really MORE vulnerable in such conditions...

Many Texan educators have voted GOP their entire adult lives and now are realizing the GOP run legislature for the past 2 decades has no interest in protecting public education in Texas or protecting educators' retirement or health care--unlike how they protect the benefits of the state's other employee system where their retirement/health care come from

Yes--Beto has gained a large war chest w/o resorting to super PACs and he has made a determined attempt to cross the state and interact with as many Texans as he can
but an incumbent usually has the benefit of history...
Beto's being from El Paso area doesn't help since it is about as far from the larger metro centers like Houston/DFW/SA that you can get in Texas
But some western counties have fewer voters than a Ward in Houston so not ever voter has to know him
I will be watching the debates with lot of interest

Texas has been hibernating in some ways--
my local area (FTW) has seen some Democratic/liberal groups pop-up and become active --
have friend who is over 70, living in Sugar Land, who is now the chairman of his local Democratic precinct--even though he has always voted Dem, he has never been active in politics because he felt it wouldn't really make a difference...
It will be interesting to see if Beto can awaken many people who have felt disenfranchised literally and figuratively because of the GOP crush...

Last edited by loves2read; 08-10-2018 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
I would really like to know how many posters on this thread are Texans by birth or lived here in college or moved here for work or just follow politics...
Is there anyway to separate wheat from chaff?
To be fair, a transplant from another state living in Texas has the same 1 vote as a "born and raised native Texan."

Old 08-10-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Statewide elected Repubs generally don’t agree to debates unless they think that they are in trouble. The fact that cruz is agreeing to debates with a Dem in beet-red Texas tells you all that you need to know.
And most of Cruz's ads are trying to show a "kinder, gentler" Cruz w/how he helped w/money after the hurricane
But Cruz's persona has lot of negativity
He is pretty much hated in the Senate even by other GOP
And I think many, many people really thought how he talked so hard against Trump and his abilities in the campaign and then when Trump dis'ed his father and his wife, Cruz ignored those personal attacks and it was business as usual...that gave people a negative impression--

In an informed electorate the fact that Cruz was bankrolled and supported in the presidential nomination campaign by Robert Mercer and his daughter Rebekka and had the help of Cambridge Analytica would be a REAL negative
CA has been shown to be involved w/Russian hacking of the election, illegal gathering of personal info from Facebook members, and dirty tricks in various elections Cambridge Analytica "helped" in other countries as well as the US
I am sure Cruz will attempt to shed all that history and not address his past connections w/the dark side
He has "name recognition" but that name carries lot of negativity

Old 08-10-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
To be fair, a transplant from another state living in Texas has the same 1 vote as a "born and raised native Texan."
If this is your primary residence, you are so right
And I encourage everyone to register to vote and to vote in every election--
It is the responsibility of Americans to participate in their representational democracy---
We have too many eligible voters who DON'T make their voices heard---and the GOP seems intent on keeping many of those voices silent...

And some of those transplants are much more liberal than people with 4 generations in Tx so MY personal agenda is improved by having those voters come in to the state...

we have 2nd home in Florida--but because we are Texas residents and claim that for voting purposes we can't vote in FL even though we pay property taxes and school taxes and are affected just as much by laws voted by the FL Legislature and the local city/county boards---yet we have no ability to vote to determine an agenda we would prefer...
writing letters, making calls aren't as effective when representatives find out you are not a registered voter, I have discovered...Most of the time you can't even sign a petition if you are not considered a "resident" legally...
That is taxation w/o representation in some ways which was the flash point for the American Revolution

But I understand how fractured the electoral system would be if people were allowed to vote in states where they owned property or had temporary residence even if it was half the year...
Which apparently Steve Bannon did with his residence in FL and other states
And Dick Cheney did when he was running for VP on Bush's ticket
And others do
I am sure some of the seasonal residents in my neighborhood vote in both states they have homes from their comments -- that's their business even if it is illegal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections