Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:14 PM

8,885 posts, read 4,614,074 times

Advertisements

Voting age should be raised to 40. Maybe 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM

19,914 posts, read 9,475,247 times
Well, yeah, having 16-year-olds vote would make sense . . . for DEMOCRATS!

16-year-olds are still in school and therefore still being indoctrinated into liberal attitudes. (And, yes, I am a moderate, but I have NO doubt that liberalism is being pushed in public schools much more often and much harder than conservative attitudes are. And although I almost always preface or end statements like these with "imo", in this case, I truly do think that I am stating a fact.)

Old 08-14-2018, 06:07 PM

1,018 posts, read 514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
They are better off with conservatives in charge as long as they are white, heterosexual, and fundamentalist Christian and believe everyone else should be treated as second class citizens.

I don't agree with lowering the voting age to 16, but I've seen numerous conservatives want to raise it to 21. It's very telling that it's the GOP that typically wants less people voting and to make it harder for those who can vote to actually do so.

And if you are a minority, LGBTQ, Female, Muslim, etc. They are better off with liberals in charge and they attack and beat up Conservatives and riot in the streets. It goes both ways.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,375,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Voting age should be raised to 40. Maybe 50.
And cut off at 70.

I’m tired of all the responsibility, like choosing between Cankles and Cheeto. It was one of those contests where you felt bad because one of them had to win.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:40 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,593,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
When more and more adults figure out the Democrats have nothing to offer America, they have to create "other" voters.

One way is through illegal immigration. Here's another way...

Let 16-year-olds vote, says House Democrat

Rep. Grace Meng, D-N.Y., has put forward a joint resolution to amend the Constitution so that 16-year-olds can vote.

Meng's resolution would repeal the 26th Amendment, and create a new amendment that says the right to vote of anyone who is 16 years or old "shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State."

And in typical Democrat fashion...

As of this week, Meng had not released a statement explaining why 16-year-olds should be able to vote.

Sounds like she is following orders - because there is no reason 16 year olds should be allowed to vote.
Idiots! The 26th Amendment just says that they can't block you due to age if you are 18 or older. It never says that states can't make it under 18. Of course, perhaps they want it imposed on all 50 states, so maybe that's why they want a Constitutional amendment.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
We definitely don't need 16 year old's voting! Many of the 18 year old voters are clueless. In my opinion, that was a huge mistake.

It might be different if they were being taught civics, and were learning something in H.S. ...but they're not.
The reason that they did it was because they were drafting people aged 18 to go fight (and possibly die!) in Vietnam and yet they couldn't even legally vote yet! How is that fair?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't want them to own guns either and I certainly don't think they should be married under child-bride laws but certain states allow them to do both legally
So if they can do those two significant events, maybe they should be able to vote...
My Grandma (on my dad's side) was age 16 when she got married and had my father at age 18. My Great-Grandma (on my mom's side) had my Grandma at age 18 (and presumably was married earlier, possibly before age 18).

I don't think it happens as much now, though.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:51 PM

501 posts, read 304,455 times
Wild in the Streets

the trailer

Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,009,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
They are better off with conservatives in charge as long as they are white, heterosexual, and fundamentalist Christian and believe everyone else should be treated as second class citizens.

I don't agree with lowering the voting age to 16, but I've seen numerous conservatives want to raise it to 21. It's very telling that it's the GOP that typically wants less people voting and to make it harder for those who can vote to actually do so.
I guess neither of you have kids or anyone who teaches in your family
School curricula is driven by national standards supposedly but believe me in towns that are already conservative, plenty of what is taught is conservative and actually detrimental to the kids

If they are in a conservative area they get it from their families and their churches anyway
And any more liberal education is going to have a hard slog uphill to make any inroads...

Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 AM

1,663 posts, read 882,175 times
These are the people who in the past year have been:

Eating laundry detergent

Snorting condoms

Stepping out of a car while it's going down the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFqbVqBV6hM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections