Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 AM

37,846 posts, read 41,209,489 times

Advertisements

You remember the Clinton/Sanders superdelegate brouhaha from 2016. I thought they already took care of this problem more than a year ago but apparently not:

Quote:
"Members of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) are gearing up for a potentially bitter fight this weekend over the role of superdelegates in their presidential nominating process...In 2016, there were more than 700 superdelegates out of the 4,763 total delegates at the Democratic National Convention, meaning that they accounted for nearly a third of the 2,383 delegates needed to win the party’s presidential nomination."

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...ter-2016-fight
Currently, superdelegates are not bound to a candidate and can vote the way they please.

On one side, they have DNC Chairman Tom Perez who wants to reduce the influence of superdelegates in the Democratic presidential nomination process. He has Bernie Sanders' support.

On the other side, they have the Congressional Black Caucus that doesn't want to disenfranchise the powerful. (Why do I think this has something to do with who gives them money?)

Read article to see where Democrat politicians line up.

If you are a Democrat voter what's your opinion of superdelegates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 01:21 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,680,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You remember the Clinton/Sanders superdelegate brouhaha from 2016. I thought they already took care of this problem more than a year ago but apparently not:

Currently, superdelegates are not bound to a candidate and can vote the way they please.

On one side, they have DNC Chairman Tom Perez who wants to reduce the influence of superdelegates in the Democratic presidential nomination process. He has Bernie Sanders' support.

On the other side, they have the Congressional Black Caucus that doesn't want to disenfranchise the powerful. (Why do I think this has something to do with who gives them money?)

1. Every Federally elected Democrat, every Dem governor , every Dem state chair , vice chair , former president and vice President is a superdelegate

That accounts for about 400 of the seats, then you get democratic state wide elected cabinet chairs( State attorney generals, auditors, sec of state) and their vice chairs , then local level Dems( Municiple Dem chair, vice chair) , President and Vp of college Dems, high school Dems, Young Dems

All in all there are about 600 elected Democrats serving as superdelegates

The other 120 is are made up if former congressmen. Former cabinet members, former high profile candidates , big time donors , activists .

I personally have no problem with superdelegates, removing them doesn't mean anything as those people will simply run in the primary as regular delegates win and still get to vote for their candidate as the democratic primaries are not winner take all and you are voting for delegates, not for the presidential candidate themselves.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:16 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,814,473 times
Democrat Super Delegates
  • Picked Obama over Hillary even though Hillary won the popular vote.
  • Was Hillary's insurance that Bernie, nor anyone else, would receive the 2016 nomination.
  • Are why the Democrat party is not Democratic. Voters are deplorable, Hillary even said so.
And they won't be going away. Couple the Super Delegates with the crooked Democrat caucus rules in many states and it's always the party bosses who decide it, not the voters.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:18 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,574,937 times
They are deeply undemocratic, as are the Democrats.

They should be retained.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:57 PM

24,229 posts, read 15,293,780 times
Somebody came up with superdelegates after the McGovern rules. IIRC, each senatorial district delegation to the state convention had to be the same demographic as the senatorial district. That was also how delegates were selected for the national convention. Lots of elected and party bigwigs. didn't get selected, hence the superdelegate category.

Imo, one should appreciate the honor of being a party bigwig. It should not entitle them a spot at the national convention. They can go and watch and smooze, just like the rest of the people who didn't get elected a delegate.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrat Super Delegates

obama won the popular vote

Quote:
  • Was Hillary's insurance that Bernie, nor anyone else, would receive the 2016 nomination.
Hillary won by 4 million votes
Quote:
  • Are why the Democrat party is not Democratic. Voters are deplorable, Hillary even said so.
nope, she said racist trump voters are deplorable .

Quote:
And they won't be going away. Couple the Super Delegates with the crooked Democrat caucus rules in many states and it's always the party bosses who decide it, not the voters.
What is crooked about the caucuses ?

Old 08-25-2018, 12:45 AM

23,855 posts, read 13,861,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I don't really care one way or the other. To me, it's like the 3-second shot clock in basketball. It encourages some tactics, discourages others, but doesn't really make a fundamental difference.

BTW, I was a local Bernie delegate. He wasn't cheated, he just didn't get enough votes where it counted.

I like Bernie - A LOT - but the fact remains that the people who do the grunt work, year in and year out, may have negative feelings about someone who comes in from the outside and joins the party just in order to run, and then promptly unjoins when the race is over. He didn't convince quite enough regular Ds to vote for him.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:52 AM

23,855 posts, read 13,861,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrat Super Delegates
Can't speak for other states, but the caucus in my state was completely fair. I was a Bernie delegate, and he was the state's nominee, even though most of the superdelegates voted for Clinton. Because the superdelegates simply don't outnumber the regular delegates - they don't even come close.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:07 AM

4,662 posts, read 4,155,200 times
Anything that allows me to point to Democrat hypocricy is great.

They don't trust your vote because they neither trust nor like you. They want to maintain the appearance of a democratic process and give lip service to your wishes, while in the end forcing you to accept poison toads that you wouldn't want to lick. I think we all know who I am talking about.

When will you wake up and dump this elitist ****bag party that hates you? Take the red pill.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Anything that allows me to point to Democrat hypocricy is great.

They don't trust your vote because they neither trust nor like you. They want to maintain the appearance of a democratic process and give lip service to your wishes, while in the end forcing you to accept poison toads that you wouldn't want to lick. I think we all know who I am talking about.

When will you wake up and dump this elitist ****bag party that hates you? Take the red pill.
The Republican party primary rules allows for the state party to override the results of your delegate primary and appoint delegates to your national convention

As well as your primaries being winner take all after a candidate gets a certain percentage or wins a congressional district.

The Republican primary is far more corrupt than the democratic primary.

It is possible for a candidate to win 20% of the popular vote in the Republican primary and get 90% of the delegates

That wouldn't happen in a democratic primary as it is proportional and state parties can only send substitute delegates if someone just doesn't show up, and even then they usually pick the losing delegate who runs for the same candidate.

So please stop with the red pill argument, because if you want to discuss a flawed primary, yours is far worse, it just got less media attention .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections