Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 AM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times

Advertisements

Eight governorships went blue last night. Trump ally Kobach was crushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 07:39 AM

14,488 posts, read 6,133,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
In states that held senate elections last night, the Dems won the popular vote by 10%. The writing is on the wall for the GOP.

There is no such thing as a Senate popular vote. Each Senate race is its own election

Old 11-07-2018, 07:40 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,036,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
There is no denying the fact that the economy is booming under Trump. Historically, the House flips, but I think the Republicans will maintain the majority. Key races with Dem incumbents are loosing ground to Republicans already! Don't see a "blue wave".
Good grief. Stop with the party line already. The economy is booming in spite of Trump not because of him. He entered office with a 4% unemployment rate. He seem to forget that every time he speaks of it, however. Anyway, the races went pretty much as expected. House flipped to Democrats, and the GOP maintained control of the Senate. I'm looking forward to seeing Trump's tax returns

Old 11-07-2018, 07:41 AM

32,874 posts, read 19,582,425 times
Quote:
It doesn't. The GOP gain was to be expected. What is surprising, if anything, is how small it was considering the number of dem seats that were in play this time. But it is significant in that it shows how strongly the country is shifting away from the GOP demographic. It is just another data point showing that the GOP is finished.
the libs were saying the GOP was finished in 06

Old 11-07-2018, 07:41 AM

14,488 posts, read 6,133,144 times
Quote:
Republicans are trying their best to put lipstick on this pig, but it was a huge victory for the Democrats last night. I am especially pleased to see the blue wall return to the upper midwest. The demographics going forward are younger, more women, more diversity. The GOP has had its last hurrah.

Trump can win those states again when he is in the top of the ballot. Just like how Obama won states his party lost in 2010

Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 AM

18,951 posts, read 43,846,798 times
Everybody assumes all of these races were about Trump, but I suspect many were not. I voted for Walt Maddox (D) over Kay Ivey here in Alabama because I believed he’d make a better governor, but that decision was purely local and had nothing to do with Trump.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:45 AM

25,743 posts, read 17,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That's true, but it does give an indication to the overall ideological bent of the nation at the time of the election. In yesterday's election, there were more people pissed off at Trump than there were people pissed off at Obama in 2010.
I actually have to agree on this one.
Since all congressional districts have about the same number of people - 700,000 - adding up the popular vote does say something.
Last night there were several comments about how educated women have no tolerance for neither Trump nor The Republicans. Trump brought that on himself. Maybe he'll tone down the rhetoric, because that's what he needs to do.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:46 AM

20,974 posts, read 9,685,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
There is no such thing as a Senate popular vote. Each Senate race is its own election
It indicates that, essentially, the dems are a "silent majority." Trumplings are a much smaller percentage of the population than they think they are. 10-11 million more people voted for democrats in senate races than republicans. While that has no bearing on the individual races, it *does* tell you that republicans are a minority.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 AM

25,842 posts, read 20,785,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I guess I was surprised at how close the races in the Senate were in Florida, Texas, and Georgia. While Dems didn't win, they got very close. I know "almost winning" doesn't count but if I were a GOP strategist, I'd find those margins a little uncomfortable. And while people may scoff that the "wave" didn't occur--I think it did. Those "blue" votes were significant in those republican strongholds.
I agree with this.
Those races were very close, close enough to have to give GOP leadership pause.

Democrats should feel like some very sound groundwork has been laid for 2020.
I’m certainly very encouraged by the likes of O’Rourke, Abrams and Gillum among others.

Congratulations to Lamb, Crow - my new congressman - Ocasio-Cortez and the rest!

And way to go Colorado!
Great results all around.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 AM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Trump can win those states again when he is in the top of the ballot. Just like how Obama won states his party lost in 2010
He could. But this was a nationwide referendum on Trump. Trump made it that. He went to those states. The people he backed lost. Trump lost there and in the nationwide vote by a lot. It is way too early to speculate about 2020 as we have no idea who will be running (including Trump). One thing for sure, those states will not be ignored again by the Dems like they were by Hillary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections