Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Someone posted this in another thread-

James Richard "Rick" Perry
Gregory "Greg" Abbott
Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower
Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
Rafael "Ted" Cruz
the list is a mile long including our last two Texas governors and the opponent of the guy your criticizing.
totally different, you are comparing very common nick names with names that are neither common or even used for the most part.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. Hispanic is heritage, not race.

Being Hispanic is like being Southern. Technically, Beto is Hispanic and so is Mitt Romney for that matter.

2. What you meant to say is Latino, something he has never claimed.
Hispanic or Latino: you are only part correct, Talk to 10 different people who are of Mexican or latin heritage and you will get different answers. I have tried it many times and each has a reason why they consider themselves what they do. Some will tell you they are American of Mexican background or Mexican Americans: some say they are Hispanic and others say they are latino.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What was honest about it?

The pump was primed for Republicans to hold the Senate and even gain a few seats. They didn’t have many seats to defend in this midterm. And that WAS absolutely predicted. No one prognosticated that the Republicans would lose the Senate. At best, the Democrats needed to hold the fort and not bleed too badly, which they did.

So you’re being intellectually dishonest here.
nope!!! they were not expected by anyone who is honest to pick up seats. Yes, as I said, but you must not have read it correctly they were expected to hold the senate. A few may have predicted a senate seat or 2 would be gained but for the most part this was not what was expected.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
totally different, you are comparing very common nick names with names that are neither common or even used for the most part.
Not different at all.

They are all (still) childhood nicknames that persisted into adulthood.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Except they were wrong. It was not predicted from the beginning that Democrats would win the House, or that they(republicans) wouldnt gain seats in the senate.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0de3a08fab52f

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8b4bcd438cab

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...rms-right-now/
Find an honest middle of the road reference that would agree with you: don't depend on HP or even the Wash Post. That is like saying it was predicted such and such cause FOX said so.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not different at all.

They are all (still) childhood nicknames that persisted into adulthood.
But most are short for their given names like Teddy for starters, and Rick for Richard.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Hispanic or Latino: you are only part correct, Talk to 10 different people who are of Mexican or latin heritage and you will get different answers. I have tried it many times and each has a reason why they consider themselves what they do. Some will tell you they are American of Mexican background or Mexican Americans: some say they are Hispanic and others say they are latino.
Nothing you said backed up your argument of calling me partially right, LOL

Old 11-27-2018, 05:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
But most are short for their given names like Teddy for starters, and Rick for Richard.
"Ted" is a common nickname for "Edward."

Nothing in the name "Edward" has ever suggested "Ted" to me.
It's certainly can't be considered "short" for Edward, since there is no "t" anywhere to be found, and yet people accept it without question.

They even accept people using their middle names instead of their first names, like a particular someone commonly referred to as "Ted" when he could have been "Rafa" or some other variant instead.

Things that make you go "hmmm..."

Anyway, interesting history of some common, but not "short for" nicknames here:

The Origins of 10 Nicknames | Mental Floss

Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Which nicknames are common and which ones are not. Is Ted a common nickname from Edward in modern times at least compared to Beto? Please explain or Ike is any more or less common than Beto. I know more Beto's than Ike's alive period. Even Teddy is not a common nickname, and I only mentioned the ones of the top of my head in that post. How is Beto a nickname any different from more than a dozen candidates and if I looked it up probably a hundred in America lone that went by various nicknames instead of their actual name. Your argument is who goes by their childhood name, I answered well literally everybody it seems in politics, such as our last to governors and Beto's opponent who people straight up think his firs name is Ted.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Ted" is a common nickname for "Edward."

Nothing in the name "Edward" has ever suggested "Ted" to me.
It's certainly can't be considered "short" for Edward, since there is no "t" anywhere to be found, and yet people accept it without question.

They even accept people using their middle names instead of their first names, like a particular someone commonly referred to as "Ted" when he could have been "Rafa" or some other variant instead.

Things that make you go "hmmm..."

Anyway, interesting history of some common, but not "short for" nicknames here:

The Origins of 10 Nicknames | Mental Floss
No point in arguing, I wonder if the poster will admit it but their essentially saying others are allowed to do it but modern democrats can't. Again for those out there what is the difference between "Beto", common "Border of Texas-Mexican" (pointing this out so we can get the protests out of Hispanics around me don't use that name so it mustn't be common for those who live mostly around Cubans, Dominicans or Puerto Ricans) nickname for Robert, is different from Ike, Teddy, Greg, Rick, Ted, Abe, Joe (Biden), Bill (Clinton) that literally probably a hundred American politicians used because nicknames are more personal than formal names. Someone actually said who goes by their nickname, like it wasn't a well known strategy that politicians have been utilizing for decades to feel closer with constituents.

I especially connect with this, because I have a long winded hard to pronounce African Name and just go with a nickname that is pretty common in America (my name happens to include a similar sounding string of letters to a common biblical name, allowing me to just go by that name instead), going with nicknames doesn't make you a panderer or fake, in fact to me it allows me to connect more with people, my fellow American people. That is why politicians take nicknames on because it feels closer than a basic less personal first name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.