Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm excited about Bernie's run as it will cause more division within the Dem Party (just like in 2016), increasing President Trump's chances of being reelected.
I don't think it will cause more division than 2016.

2016 was supposed to be a coronation. But Bernie exposed a sort of previously unknown deep split within the party over the kind of candidate that Dems want.

In 2020 that faction of the party is now mainstream and Bernie's chances for the nomination are real and people are taking that wing seriously.

Also the allegations of favoritism and tampering by the DNC should be very much in mind this time and I think we will see a cleaner contest in which the Bernie wing has a fair shot.

In the end, a fairer process will make it easier for the party to unify around the eventual nominee, whoever that is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 02:06 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Warren is the Indian lady.

She’s from India?

Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
It's going to be interesting to see which of all these predictions pan out or not.

Of all of the folks who have announced, I think only Bernie can match Trump head to head in the ability to sway voters.

He entered late and half-prepared in 2016, and within a few weeks swamped the glistening Clinton campaign machine like a tsunami.

And he did it using the same devices Trump used with even less organization than Trump's. This time, he's coming prepared, while Trump has been busy picking off his targets for him.

Is Bernie a one-time flash in the pan? That's the real question. I tend to doubt he is if he's able to match his funding in a half-day when it took Kamala Harris months for the same level of funding.

Since the money usually flows the easiest to the best prospect, especially the early money that always counts the most, it makes me think Bernie stands a pretty good chance of winning the nomination, but it's far too soon to make any projection anything more than that.

Trump blew it twice before he finally got it, and Obama quit his first attempt almost as soon as it started. They both fine-tuned later and won. Bernie's doing his own fine-tuning right now, for sure. He has 20 years of this behind him, so it won't take him very long.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:37 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yeah unlike Trump he wants to help the American people not hinder them, wait I take some of that back. Trump does want to help the RICH people.
Yet RICH people sure love voting for Democrats. Something like 19 of the 20 wealthiest voting districts voted for Hillary.

It's the Democrats who look down on and secretly hate poor people, specifically lower income white people. They are the "bad whites" who think all the wrong things, are racist, religious and gun nuts...the deplorables as Hillary calls them. No wonder non-college graduate white people vote Republican in droves...they know who their friends are or at least who their enemies are.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:41 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I don't think it will cause more division than 2016.

2016 was supposed to be a coronation. But Bernie exposed a sort of previously unknown deep split within the party over the kind of candidate that Dems want.

In 2020 that faction of the party is now mainstream and Bernie's chances for the nomination are real and people are taking that wing seriously.

Also the allegations of favoritism and tampering by the DNC should be very much in mind this time and I think we will see a cleaner contest in which the Bernie wing has a fair shot.

In the end, a fairer process will make it easier for the party to unify around the eventual nominee, whoever that is.
Yup. The Democratic political machine of 2016 has been cut up and scrapped and sent to the junk pile. The Clintons had a lot to do with that machine's design, but have next to none in the new one that replaced theirs.

The problem with them all is they all seem to only function like narcotics; the first high is the best high, and it's all downhill from there.

The biggest takeaway for both parties from 2016 I see is to beware of hubris. Every election of the 21st century has defied expectations, and every one of them brought a truck load of hubris with them. At least half of us ever since have believed the next time around, they'll be the final winners forever and a day.

Once anyone is so sure their guy will win against all odds, the odds will always nail them in the end.

All I really know is I've had my fill of gloat sandwiches, and I've also had my fill of dead crow. I hope to avoid both in 2020. Neither is good for my digestion.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:47 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
She’s from India?
The other Indian, also known as Pocahontas.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:56 PM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times
About a year ago I was driving along side this little car with a Bernie bumper sticker. I had to catch up to him to see what the idiot looked like.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:24 PM

1,015 posts, read 786,892 times
When you ask the Bernie supporters why they are voting for him they mentioned all the free stuff he's offering.

I said it before if the democrats want a chance at winning or coming close they need to get Joe Biden in he's still popular.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Bernie will not make it out of the primaries. The Democrat who wins will end up losing to President Trump. This won't be the close race we had in '16.
What alternate universe are you living in that thinks Trump is going to win in a landslide?

Old 02-20-2019, 03:36 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Bernie has made it clear he's running as a Democrat.
Has he said whether he will change his registration to Democrat first? Or does he plan to "run as a Democrat" without actually being a Democrat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections