Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 06:41 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times

Advertisements

I think her chance was 2016. I think Jeb's shot was 2012 and Hillary's was 2004. The reality is that you need to seize the moment because the world will not wait til you are completely ready.

That said- I think being a Democrat from Massachusetts or Republican from Alabama will always proceed the actual candidate- preconceptions are built in. She's also very intelligent but has a sort of professorial bearing that does not play well in big events. She would be a better candidate than Kerry or Clinton (and probably Gore) but I'm not sure she's the best match up for Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 07:12 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
When one considers the two major sects of Christian religion in the USA believe woman can teach but not preach, she's not wrong. It is part of who Catholics and Southern Baptists are. Women cannot be leaders in their church.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:26 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You are right, I guess "unlikeable" is only important when it comes to women. If a man is unlikeable, that makes him strong and assertive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
No, it just makes him unlikeable.
Exactly. Just like Ted Cruz is unlikeable. Or creepy. Whatever.

Today's feminists need to get past this idiotic idea that anything negative someone says about them is because of their gender. Applies to other SJW constructs as well.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You are really making a mountain of a freaking molehill here...you know that right?

No, he isn't.

Quote:
Try this on for size...

So you supported a slimy creature who said he would drain the swamp? Why would he endanger his own habitat? lol

Whereas Warren actually has done good for the average American and will likely do much more so your gripe is such a nothing burger in the scheme of things.
That poster you were replying to is a Trump supporting Republican, but there are plenty of people who can't stand Warren who aren't Trump supporters, nor even Republicans.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:36 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Sadly, she has a good point.

I was just talking about this problem with someone last week. You know how this works, right? Men are "confident," but women are "pushy." Men are "assertive," but women are "bitchy." Men are "knowledgeable," but women are "opinionated.

Hm, there aren't any really powerful women among Republicans, are there? Elizabeth Dole was an anomaly, for instance.
She wasn't THAT powerful. She still acted like the "little woman" and pulled the Scarlett O'Hara card to try to make herself seem charming to the men around her.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:19 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Sadly, she has a good point.

I was just talking about this problem with someone last week. You know how this works, right? Men are "confident," but women are "pushy." Men are "assertive," but women are "bitchy." Men are "knowledgeable," but women are "opinionated.

Hm, there aren't any really powerful women among Republicans, are there? Elizabeth Dole was an anomaly, for instance.

Senators Joni Ernst (R-IA) and Susan Collins (R-ME), U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao.

In the recent past (or also 'Elizabeth Dole era past), Nikki Haley and Condoleezza Rice.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:16 PM

16,595 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019...hes-unlikable/

And that we don’t like powerful women or something. Of course Dems eat this up and it will help her in the fundraising. Nothing but good news for Republicans though as it already looks like they are making the same
Mistake they did with Hillary
I listened to an NPR feminist trying to peddle this absurd notion as well. She asked " when have you ever heard of a male candidate being called unlikable?"
Obviously someone like Ted Cruz came to mind, and also (D) nominees like Al Gore & Michael Dukakis.

As much as women want to be equal to and treated like men, they still come up with the emotion based excuses that are not only inaccurate, but expose their own self doubts and shortcomings.

`

Old 01-06-2019, 03:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
As a counterexample, I would say Tulsi Gabbard is very likable.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:35 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Senators Joni Ernst (R-IA) and Susan Collins (R-ME), U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao.

In the recent past (or also 'Elizabeth Dole era past), Nikki Haley and Condoleezza Rice.
Susan Collins is not powerful. She simply receives attention because she constantly goes on talk shows in opposition to Republican policies before voting for them in the end. Olympia Snowe who was a female Senator from Maine for three terms concurrent with Collins was much more of a heavy lifter..

Chao has her her job because she is married to McConnell- and before anyone claims that bias against an R woman, I felt the same way about Clinton.

Ernst is a great narrative but has not shown much heft. And Haley was once my governor but is a bit of a do nothing camera hog.

I think Rice was truly powerful. She was a great role model for women and men in the way she owned her positions and spoke from strength as opposed to emotion or pandering.

Of the current female R Senators I would peg Moore Capito who could best handle higher positions. In the House I think Cheney is elbowing her way to the top- she is not my cup of tea but she certainly has no problem assuming/using power.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM

255 posts, read 69,303 times
She's a fraud and downright silly; why doesn't she start wearing a clown suit to her Senate office---perfect fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections