Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:15 AM

20,184 posts, read 23,942,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I really don't know. With the election and 1 1/2 years away, all we have now is our best guess. But I still have to ask.....

A lot of people -- directly or by ripple effect -- are adversely affected by the current gov't shutdown/furlough situation. As for the presidential and Congressional races:

-- Do you think voter affected will be more likely to vote out their incumbents. Will there be a change in the dynamics of voters think other politicians are bad, but their incumbent is OK?

-- Is there no way in hell Republicans will hold on to the WH? .... no matter who the Democratic candidates are?

-- A year-and-a-half from now who will voters blame (punish) more?
-- Might any politicians now involved be rewarded with more support?
-- Are there any incumbents who have solidified their support?

Evn as I ask these questions...for me the answer is "I just. don't. know."
The American people don't remember the last ten shutdowns, why would one more be any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 PM

20,996 posts, read 9,718,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The American people don't remember the last ten shutdowns, why would one more be any different?
Because the last 10 shutdowns only lasted a couple weeks at the most.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM

29,253 posts, read 22,556,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Why, it's happened a lot of times and nothing changes.
None of them has lasted half this long. The last long one, back in 1990, was certainly well remembered, and it ended after 20 days.

Folks today think Bush #1 was defeated because he raised taxes after pledging he wouldn't.

That's true, but in 1990, the year that the Reagan recession seemed to have finally been broken up at last, the summer shutdown dropped the country right back into a recession that wiped out all the economic gains of the previous months and the year before.

And it wasn't until 1992 that the U.S. finally recovered fully from that second recession. There were a lot of workers who had struggled for a long time before steady work finally came again in 1989, and they sure remembered 1990 in 1992.

Oddly, Bush's popularity also peaked in 1990 during Desert Storm. He was highly admired for the way he conducted that war by everyone.

If not for that recession, I think his tax increase would have been ignored in 1992. But 1990 bit our domestic industry very hard, and put the stock market into a solid, stagnant decline that persisted all the way into 1993.

The 1990 recession was also the pivotal year when many of our largest heavy industries began moving their production overseas or across the borders for the first time.

It was the year Bin Ladin started the Al Quida movement, and the year that set the stage for the rise of radical Islam's spread throughout the middle east.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 AM

20,377 posts, read 9,254,995 times
nope, once this is over, it will soon be forgotten just like every other time its happened.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,732,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Because the last 10 shutdowns only lasted a couple weeks at the most.
It doesn't affect me or anyone I know. It is a complete non-event for almost everyone in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections