Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 01:52 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You have no way of knowing what's motivating the interest in this guy
Neither do you, so you negated your own point.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, Mitch Landrieu and Seth Moulton have also been floated as running in 2020. Are they getting the same attention?

Of course not.
Well, I actually follow politics and know for a fact there is buzz around both, but level of Buzz also has to do with performance and actually announcing a candidacy in one form or another, which neither of them have.

Pete, with an announced exploratory committee is actually doing the rounds. Going to the major events, TV interviews, Podcasts, Youtube videos, selling merchandise, building a brand/following.

You comparing Pete to Mitch and Seth isnt a realistic comparison even though you would still be wrong since both are talked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 02:41 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
so define what i means then.

this is what Google Dictionary link says

so based on this, the phrase "virtue signaling" is the equivalent of yelling "know-it-all"

Virtue signaling may be annoying, but it isnt in and of itself wrong, so it means exactly what I said.

Im sure there are people doing that, but the context here is viability since many have previously said they would never vote for a candidate who wasnt straight.

You cant argue everything in a vacuum or pretend everyone you dislike is only mentioning something because of "identity politics"
I like this one better from Urban Dictionary

Virtue Signaling
To take a conspicuous but essentially useless action ostensibly to support a good cause but actually to show off how much more moral you are than everybody else.
Fred: I see George has changed his profile picture to show his support for refugees.
Barbara: Has he donated money or time? Is he giving English lessons? Is he making a room available?
Fred: No, no, he's just virtue signaling.

And it more accurately reflects the reality of this guy's popularity

Class dismissed

Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I like this one better from Urban Dictionary

Virtue Signaling
To take a conspicuous but essentially useless action ostensibly to support a good cause but actually to show off how much more moral you are than everybody else.
Fred: I see George has changed his profile picture to show his support for refugees.
Barbara: Has he donated money or time? Is he giving English lessons? Is he making a room available?
Fred: No, no, he's just virtue signaling.

And it more accurately reflects the reality of this guy's popularity

Class dismissed
So you arent arguing that he is virtue signaling(because you havent actually named anything specific), you are arguing that people who like him are ????

But even so, there is nothing wrong with virtue signaling. As I said, its annoying, but thats just your opinion, and you have every right to have it, but its not exactly a good attacking point.

by the way, isnt Barbara the one virtue signaling in that example by arguing there are "more moral" things George could be doing? LOL

Old 04-09-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251;54894409[B
]So you arent arguing that he is virtue signaling(because you havent actually named anything specific), you are arguing that people who like him are ????[/b]

But even so, there is nothing wrong with virtue signaling. As I said, its annoying, but thats just your opinion, and you have every right to have it, but its not exactly a good attacking point.

by the way, isnt Barbara the one virtue signaling in that example by arguing there are "more moral" things George could be doing? LOL
I can see that this is a little too complicated for you. No, Pete is not virtue signaling, it is the folks that support him simply because he is gay. It is a false front. A charade. Condescending. And ultimately insulting to, in this case, gay people.

Also, if you need help with the example in the Urban Dictionary, go find an adult to explain it to you.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I can see that this is a little too complicated for you. No, Pete is not virtue signaling, it is the folks that support him simply because he is gay. It is a false front. A charade. Condescending. And ultimately insulting to, in this case, gay people.
except the only one making this claim is you. So its insulting that you assume people only support him because he is gay.

bigotry of low expectations and all.

Quote:
Also, if you need help with the example in the Urban Dictionary, go find an adult to explain it to you.
Says the person who thinks urban dictionary is an official source of definitions and examples LOL.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
except the only one making this claim is you. So its insulting that you assume people only support him because he is gay.

bigotry of low expectations and all.

Says the person who thinks urban dictionary is an official source of definitions and examples LOL.
Sorry, but I'm not the one doing the virtue signaling, I'm just calling you and others our for it. The bigotry of low expectations is on you, not me.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not the one doing the virtue signaling, I'm just calling you and others our for it. The bigotry of low expectations is on you, not me.
You cant call someone out for something they didnt do You can only make baseless internet rants, LOL

not a single person has said " im only voting for him because he is gay", you did however, make that assumption of others, proving my point of your bigotry of low expectations.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
You cant call someone out for something they didnt do You can only make baseless internet rants, LOL

not a single person has said " im only voting for him because he is gay", you did however, make that assumption of others, proving my point of your bigotry of low expectations.
God bless your heart, I can see that the this topic is simply over your head.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
God bless your heart, I can see that the this topic is simply over your head.
I believe we already confirmed that of you seeing as you needed urban dictionary to help you and it backfired LOL.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:58 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
America is not putting a gay couple in the White house.
You really never know when someone runs for President if the PBT (Power Behind The Throne) was doing the pushing!

Perry, of Texas, when he was running for President said of his PBT: She forced me to run! Ditto for Bill Clinton!

When he was in Little Rock, he was tired of being Governor, and didn't even want to run again for Governor, but Hillary said he'd have a better chance of making it as a candidate as a standing Governor. And she said to Bill: One more time, and then next time next year, we'll be in the White House!

I want to know more about Pete's PBT! Tell! Tell! Tell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections