Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 01:37 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,454,932 times

Advertisements

I think Trump is toast in 2020.

I don't think it has anything to do with Russia or obstruction or impeachment efforts.

3 words.

Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Michigan

Those are the states that won Trump the WH. Those states have historically voted D. They are not conservative strongholds. I feel like in 2016 Trump barely eeked out a win in those states which relied heavily on moderates many of whom only took a chance on him because they hated Clinton more.

Trump's governing style has been to appeal to ONLY the conservative base in places like West Virginia or Alabama. He has never tried to be the president of everyone and doesn't care what moderates think, he only wants to hear the screaming adulation of his far right base, so that's all he focuses on.

I don't think that has appealed much to the voters in these 3 states who just put him over the edge. I think there are lot of people that he has turned off in those states, but would come home to the D party for a sane center-left choice like Biden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM

14,488 posts, read 6,131,639 times
How has he not appealed to them?

Old 05-23-2019, 02:45 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,454,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
How has he not appealed to them?
He sold them a lie that his election would change things on the ground for those that have been left behind by economic changes.

The fact that it didn't isn't out of step with classical GOP positions though. They've always been more about the bootstraps.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:42 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,252,657 times
Presidential elections are not just a referendum on the incumbent running for a second term. They are about choices, and realistically, a choice between just two options - and Trump is very effective at demonizing the opposition. Ultimately he will receive votes from a significant number of people who don't condone his conduct or his party's policies, but are convinced the Democratic nominee is unacceptable.

Will that be enough votes for him to win re-election? Hard to say, but incumbents don't usually lose when the economy is relatively strong and the nation isn't mired in unpopular wars. Trump will stop at nothing to win and high turnout from his base certainly is going to get him pretty close given how they are distributed geographically.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,739,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with Russia or obstruction or impeachment efforts.

3 words.

Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Michigan

Those are the states that won Trump the WH. Those states have historically voted D. They are not conservative strongholds. I feel like in 2016 Trump barely eeked out a win in those states which relied heavily on moderates many of whom only took a chance on him because they hated Clinton more.

Trump's governing style has been to appeal to ONLY the conservative base in places like West Virginia or Alabama. He has never tried to be the president of everyone and doesn't care what moderates think, he only wants to hear the screaming adulation of his far right base, so that's all he focuses on.

I don't think that has appealed much to the voters in these 3 states who just put him over the edge. I think there are lot of people that he has turned off in those states, but would come home to the D party for a sane center-left choice like Biden.
Clinton also was too stupid and completely ignored any politicking in those states. The new Dem nominee won’t take those states for granted.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 AM

114 posts, read 91,347 times
I think he will win Independents as well if economy holds. Dems dont have a candidate that can beat him. I dont see another politician taking him out.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,714,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
I think he will win Independents as well if economy holds. Dems dont have a candidate that can beat him. I dont see another politician taking him out.
Sanders can beat tRump, even Ben Shapiro (who hates Sanders) admits that

Old 05-24-2019, 01:29 PM

25,726 posts, read 17,490,788 times
Quote:
Why Trump's strategy of only supporting his base could cost him reelection
That's dumb.
What came first, "His Base" or Trump? Low information Left babbles on about "His Base" as if it described something. But it doesn't. Trump got over 60M votes and there were many different reasons for voting for him.
Now there are many have different reasons for supporting him.

"His Base"....

Old 05-24-2019, 01:34 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,714,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's dumb.
What came first, "His Base" or Trump? Low information Left babbles on about "His Base" as if it described something. But it doesn't. Trump got over 60M votes and there were many different reasons for voting for him.
Now there are many have different reasons for supporting him.

"His Base"....
Only among the far right, there aren't to moderates or the left

Old 05-24-2019, 01:39 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,904,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

3 words.

Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Michigan

Biden is sane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections