Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 PM

11,361 posts, read 16,727,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
From a young registered Democrat who is of an "Independent" mindset (meaning I could care less about party labels).

If Senator Sanders somehow manages to win the nomination (which I highly doubt that he will), what would you do? Would you vote for him, would you stay home or write in, say, Beto O'Rourke or Joe Biden or whomever your current choice is? The reason why I ask this is because the Twitterverse is populated with ardent Democrats who LOATHE Bernie Sanders and some have threatened to pack their bags and leave this country if he gets nominated.

Is this the general consensus of Democrats? That you would rather Trump have 4 more years in the WH, than allow Senator Sanders to aspire for anything more than local dogcatcher? I don't know about you, but I'm voting Blue no matter who. If Biden gets nominated, who is at the bottom of my list, I will suck it up and vote for him (or against the GOP). Because I care about my country's future. And to clarify, Sanders is not my #1 choice, that would have to go to Warren or Inslee.
Oh Pleazzze. We're stilling waiting for the Dems to leave from 2000.

Speaking about "your independent mindset", obviously you don't since you're committed to voting blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
I'm voting Sanders in the primary, so of course I'd also vote him in the general

Old 06-17-2019, 09:52 PM

260 posts, read 324,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Oh Pleazzze. We're stilling waiting for the Dems to leave from 2000.

Speaking about "your independent mindset", obviously you don't since you're committed to voting blue.
"Independent mindset"; I vote Blue when push comes to shove, and under times like these when it's imperative to protect my country from the Far Right. But I am not too crazy about the Democrats' strategies in recent years. I do not proudly tout my Democratic Party membership like a badge; it's just a last line of defense against right-wing authoritarian demagogues.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 PM

260 posts, read 324,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I’m voting blue to get rid of the current squatter. Period.

Sanders is absolutely dead last on my list, but, yes, he gets my vote over Trump.
Good. If you don't mind my asking, why does he rank so low on your list? Policies? Personality? Lack of legislative accomplishments? I'm not some militant "Bernie Bro", he's not my current choice, I just want to further understand why some folks are so turned off by his presence (though I do VAGUELY get why).

Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 PM

16,114 posts, read 10,779,224 times
I'm an anti-Trump and anti-Republican voter first and a Democrat second. Any possible way to get Trump out is fine with me so any Democrat will be better. Any.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:36 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,295,808 times
Quote:
Good. If you don't mind my asking, why does he rank so low on your list? Policies? Personality? Lack of legislative accomplishments? I'm not some militant "Bernie Bro", he's not my current choice, I just want to further understand why some folks are so turned off by his presence (though I do VAGUELY get why).
I feel like Bernie is running for himself. Period. He’s not running for any real interest in doing good for the country. He’s like Trump in that way. I think his behavior in 2016 is a major reason why Trump won, and I’m completely disgusted that Bernie decided to run again. He’s incredibly selfish.

And, yes, even with that, he’s a better candidate (and person) than Trump...barely.

If Bernie wins the nomination despite so many better options, I will be so disappointed, but I’d vote for him.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:23 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
I was a Bernie supporter in '16 figuring the country needed a real change president on the left. I think there are better candidates than him this time. But now, quite simply, it's Anybody but Trump. We could not possibly do worse.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,572,093 times
I voted for Bern over Hill in '16.

I've always admired his fighting spirit and consistent stand on the issues. That said, I think his place is in the senate.

If he becomes the 2020 nominee, I'll vote for him. But there are too many better alternatives this time around.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:08 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,223,341 times
Quote:
I think that tends to be a comparative/relative statement. I think Bernie tends to fall 'lowest on the list' of the 5-6 candidates who appear viable at the moment as opposed to all 25 (or however many.) So its not that Gabbart, Moulton or the like are better- they are simply nonentities.

I think 2016 was his moment- after four years of proving unable to move the needle, further scrutiny of his record/lack of a record, and not evolving, I am just not seeing someone who looks presidential. His foundation hiring family members and his wife's failed term as a college President with no obvious qualifications would also blow up into Hillary 2.0 in terms of general election mockery. By contrast I had written off Warren earlier in the year but she is firing on all cylinders. I had originally thought she would winnow away at Bernie's support because she is much better versed in policy and brighter but at this moment I think she is expanding her base simply by providing a level of specificity the others lack and acknowledging that even pie in the sky schemes have to be based on capitalism.

I think there is also a certain frustration that Bernie receives so much attention when he has never been a heavy lifter and does not seem to have some key area of expertise. This criticism is equally appropriate for Booker, Beto, and a raft of others. Since Bernie is higher in the polls and has spent the last 4 years with the most recognition he is the one that gets discussed/criticized most. And in all honesty, the Berners and Bernie or Bust crowd simply wore out their welcome with some folks.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:39 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,101,840 times
I’m an Independent and won’t be able to vote in my States Pr8mary but will vote for whoever the D winner is.

The debates will be big in seeing if any of the younger candidates can make a dent in Biden’s support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections