Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 06:43 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,476,434 times

Advertisements

To an extent, it could matter. Like I wouldn't vote for an 85 year old running for the office. But 70ish is not too old where I'd be seriously concerned about mental capacity to do the job. Hell, look at DJT. He's hardly aged since taking office. Its clear the job isn't stressing him like it has stressed other presidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 07:50 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,924,293 times
I look at their mobility... Trump and Sanders moves around with ease... Biden looks like he is about to die....

Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 PM

29,239 posts, read 22,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I look at their mobility... Trump and Sanders moves around with ease... Biden looks like he is about to die....
Mobility doesn't matter very much. FDR was paralyzed and he was elected 4 times. Kennedy and Nixon were both close to crippled, one with a bad back, the other with bad legs.

Mental acuity is what counts.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,643,733 times
Default Does age factor at all into which POTUS candidate you will vote for?

The presidency requires someone at the top of their game.

As we've seen with tRump, a guy in his 70s isn't there.

So, yes. Age matters.

I like Bern, Biden and Warren, but their time is past.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The presidency requires someone at the top of their game.

As we've seen with tRump, a guy in his 70s isn't there.

So, yes. Age matters.

I like Bern, Biden and Warren, but their time is past.
Yup. Me, too.
We are both old enough to know age takes the edges off of everyone in some way or other.

It's not so important when it isn't the President; everyone else in government has some built-in group support of some kind that can be relied on to help make critical decisions.

But every President has to be able to fly solo on occasion, and sometimes a quick decision has to be both correct and reached quickly or the entire nation is imperiled.

The finger that hits the big red button can be arthritic, but the mind that runs the finger has to be as sharp as a razor.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:45 AM

8,324 posts, read 3,968,850 times
It's a good question. Whether you like it or not, age is a factor. This is a biological reality.

Younger brains are excellent for innovation, mathematical capability and problem solving. Mature brains are good for system thinking and making connections between knowledge centers acquired over a lifetime. Ultimate solution would be the pairing of an experienced older President with an innovative clear thinking Vice President.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,334,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's a good question. Whether you like it or not, age is a factor. This is a biological reality.

Younger brains are excellent for innovation, mathematical capability and problem solving. Mature brains are good for system thinking and making connections between knowledge centers acquired over a lifetime. Ultimate solution would be the pairing of an experienced older President with an innovative clear thinking Vice President.
Except that the Vice President has no actual authority to make decisions and govern the country.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:29 PM

39,177 posts, read 51,480,403 times
I would prefer someone younger - someone who has skin in the game in the sense that they will still be around to realize the consequences of policy decisions. In general too, boomers have made such a mess of things they ought not be allowed to run or hold any office in the land.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I would prefer someone younger - someone who has skin in the game in the sense that they will still be around to realize the consequences of policy decisions. In general too, boomers have made such a mess of things they ought not be allowed to run or hold any office in the land.
Yup. And the boomers won't be around long enough to fix most of the messes we have made. I'm a boomer, and I just learned another friend from my generation tipped over recently. And learned his boomer bride died before he did.

I profoundly regret the mess my own generation has made of my beloved country. For the life of me, I don't know why it happened, either. When we were young, we rejected our father's ways of making messes and fought for change and a better nation. And then we turned around and made even bigger messes of our own.

At least, my father's generation didn't leave their messes for us to clean up. They took care of most of them before they passed on. But not us. We are quite happy burdening our own kids with our messes. We are quite proud saying "We got ours. So go out and get yours, kids," while giving them nothing they can get.

The Greatest Generation may not have been all that great, but at least they gave the boomers a fair shot at getting ours. We don't have that generosity. We want to keep it all until it's pried out of our cold dead hands.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 PM

5,301 posts, read 5,278,951 times
I think age has to factor in somewhat...but it's not the end all be all to me. If I feel the best candidate is the oldest one, I'll vote for that person...If I feel it's the youngest one, I'll vote for the candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections