Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 05:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,449,579 times

Advertisements

It's a low priority on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:25 AM

19,959 posts, read 9,521,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. And the boomers won't be around long enough to fix most of the messes we have made. I'm a boomer, and I just learned another friend from my generation tipped over recently. And learned his boomer bride died before he did.

I profoundly regret the mess my own generation has made of my beloved country. For the life of me, I don't know why it happened, either. When we were young, we rejected our father's ways of making messes and fought for change and a better nation. And then we turned around and made even bigger messes of our own.

At least, my father's generation didn't leave their messes for us to clean up. They took care of most of them before they passed on. But not us. We are quite happy burdening our own kids with our messes. We are quite proud saying "We got ours. So go out and get yours, kids," while giving them nothing they can get.

The Greatest Generation may not have been all that great, but at least they gave the boomers a fair shot at getting ours. We don't have that generosity. We want to keep it all until it's pried out of our cold dead hands.
I don't think it is fair to blame the entire Boomer generation. Most of us just went to work and raised our families, and we had very little to do with the current troubles, except for (possibly) the rise in materialism. There are bad and good in every generation, but what determines how things go are the leaders of that generation. Of the POTUSes born between 1946 and 1964, we have had Clinton, Bush II, and Obama. When we were young, we had Nixon and LBJ (among others).

We have not had a truly great president, imo, since FDR (although, yes, he had many faults, he was a leader who got the U.S. through both the Great Depression and World War II; and his wife, Eleanor, was a crusader for many social causes).

Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 AM

11,522 posts, read 14,704,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
It's a low priority on my list.
I think it's a lower priority than a person's mental health status, which is a much higher priority to me personally.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:12 AM

1,013 posts, read 732,515 times
It’s pretty high on my list of factors. I’m in my 70’s and while I know there are people who still function well when elderly, almost everyone declines in some way. Consider that it’s a 4-year term and how stressful it is, I’d prefer someone under 70 as president.

It’s always a shock to see a photo of a president at inauguration next to a photo taken 4 years later. The job ages most people faster than a normal job.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,079,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Here is a quick rundown of the current candidate ages.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...es/3643967002/

Historically, only Ronald Reagan, William Harrison and James Buchanan were over 65 when they took office, although George H.W. Bush was 64.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._States_by_age

I am 65, but I personally would not vote for anyone who is 70 or older at the time of taking office -- and that would eliminate Trump, Sanders, and Biden. In today's world, imo, the office of President should not be some kind of reward for political longevity and/or party loyalty, but it needs someone young and healthy in both mind and, hopefully, in body, too -- although being in a wheelchair did not stop FDR!
I am 82, was a strong Reagan supporter and think until the last couple of years of his presidency his age played no part in his ability of govern. However, like you, age has to be considered. I can't say I would not vote for anyone over 70, but I would have to take a very close look at the situation and pay close attention to how and what they say. I am not sure there are many that can handle the job and pressures after 70. I would not be as likely to be swayed by someone over 70 that was already in office I would be more inclined to back away from someone seeking the job for the first time and pay close attention to his or her running make.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 1,183 times
Not being open borders is, and they are all for it

Old 06-28-2019, 04:04 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,308,611 times
I’m going to be brutally honest here: Both Biden and Bernie seemed old and crotchety last night. Age is absolutely a factor.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 6,370,272 times
Both Bernie and Biden would be in their 80's during their Presidency. Way too old. Warren would be in her early 70's. Still old, but maybe.

Purely from an age perspective, Harris is probably the best age for the Presidency being in her 50's.

Edit: I am 70 myself.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:26 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,040,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

I disagree, if not voting for someone because of their age is based on sound reasoning. Would you vote for someone who is 18 for POTUS, if the laws were changed?

(I do know that some would.)
Of course not. There is only so much of life that an 18-year old could possibly have seen or experienced at that age. For the vast majority, their life perspective is shockingly limited at age 18. 150 years ago...it might have been possible to find 18-year olds who possessed the requisite maturity and experience to serve as president. However, I know how we'll agree that such a thing is nearly impossible now, given today's tendency for young folks to extend their adolescence into their late 20s or early 30s.

The minimum age for presidential candidates is there for a reason, obviously.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:57 PM

6,650 posts, read 4,366,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I’m going to be brutally honest here: Both Biden and Bernie seemed old and crotchety last night. Age is absolutely a factor.
And Harris seemed very immature and inexperienced (which she is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections