Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 04:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Great OP ED in the Chicago Tribune about how Sanders has no idea how capitalism works and how to pay for his grand plans.
What difference would that make? We aren't paying for things now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 08:06 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,091,016 times
To say healthcare is free means that no money has to change hands in any step along the way to providing it. In that case there is no way healthcare can ever be free. Somewhere along the way, money had to change hands. Where it comes from is where people disagree. Most people who espouse “free” healthcare want that money to come from “other people”.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
To say healthcare is free means that no money has to change hands in any step along the way to providing it. In that case there is no way healthcare can ever be free. Somewhere along the way, money had to change hands. Where it comes from is where people disagree. Most people who espouse “free” healthcare want that money to come from “other people”.
Wrong. The vast majority know that they will pay in some way also.

I have advocated for UHC for years. I have never once argued that it would mean I would not have to pay something for it.

The majority who are poor today and pay little will also pay more in the future.

But all the same I will continue to ask that since we are not paying for other things, why must people pay for this one particular thing?

Old 06-29-2019, 08:31 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
All the Democrats are PROMOTING "FREE" stuff for NON CITIZENS (Illegal Aliens). College, Healthcare, and next will be Universal Basic Income for ILLEGALS. The Democrats hate the American Citizen that PAYS for everything.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:46 AM

1,705 posts, read 539,094 times
Free at the point of service... Paid for by taxes.

I guess that is difficult to understand, when the Republicans keep lying and missquoting.

You could call it : Prepaid Healthcare

Old 06-29-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Free at the point of service... Paid for by taxes.

I guess that is difficult to understand, when the Republicans keep lying and missquoting.

You could call it : Prepaid Healthcare
I don't even know if it would be free at the point of service as we have no plan. It might be for some, there may be co-pays. We simply don't know yet.

People continue to fight this but the facts are, we are going to have to do something. I find it hard to understand how it is that so many are not able to grasp that pre-emptive health care is less expensive than addressing issues after they become a real problem.

If a poor person gets cancer, we pay now. It's far cheaper to see that they get a colonoscopy before we get to that point.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:53 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't even know if it would be free at the point of service as we have no plan. It might be for some, there may be co-pays. We simply don't know yet.

People continue to fight this but the facts are, we are going to have to do something. I find it hard to understand how it is that so many are not able to grasp that pre-emptive health care is less expensive than addressing issues after they become a real problem.

If a poor person gets cancer, we pay now. It's far cheaper to see that they get a colonoscopy before we get to that point.
When routine check-ups become free or close to free, preventative medicine will take root.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:08 AM

1,705 posts, read 539,094 times
pknopp: We pay a co-pay for visiting our doctor. $15-20*
* (depending on currency valuation.)

But, if your are really sick, and need to see them often, after spending $250-300*, everything else is "free".

Need a surgery??
Meet at hospital, sign in, get surgery, stay in hospital, leave. Never see a bill..

Old 06-29-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
pknopp: We pay a co-pay for visiting our doctor. $15-20*
* (depending on currency valuation.)

But, if your are really sick, and need to see them often, after spending $250-300*, everything else is "free".
No it isn't free.

Quote:
Need a surgery??
Meet at hospital, sign in, get surgery, stay in hospital, leave. Never see a bill..
For fewer and fewer all the time.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No they don't.
Yes, they do.

They get treatment, and when the bill collectors come, they don't pay (since they don't have the money). And unlike us, they don't use credit, so aren't worried about their credit score
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections