Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:50 AM

856 posts, read 707,246 times

Advertisements

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/harr...ry?id=64092090

Despite the media obsession with one debate that people will forget about in a few weeks, Former Vice President Joe Biden still is the front-runner for the 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination.

I think the debate is actually an epic failure on the part of Senator Harris. She attacked Biden on an issue that was resolved decades ago, an issue even black voters don't seem to care about, and did so months before the Iowa Caucuses. She should have brought this up in December, not June.

Don't believe me on the busing thing? Well, some black leaders actually opposed busing in the 1970s:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1616659001/

Now, in Harris's defense, I think the one thing she did score points on was getting Biden to look bad in a debate, which certainly could hurt his electability argument. To me, Biden's problem isn't the actual criticism on busing, but rather his response. However, as this poll indicates, it hasn't hurt him with actual voters.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:02 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,729,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Despite the media obsession with one debate that people will forget about in a few weeks, Former Vice President Joe Biden still is the front-runner for the 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination.....
Bad Assumption.

They admit it's not a scientific poll. It was based on 1023 people called at random and only the ones who said they were Democrat or left leaning Independents were counted.

As far as the busing thing goes, the NAACP was behind the lawsuit that integrated the schools.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:13 AM

6,644 posts, read 4,350,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/harr...ry?id=64092090

Despite the media obsession with one debate that people will forget about in a few weeks, Former Vice President Joe Biden still is the front-runner for the 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination.

I think the debate is actually an epic failure on the part of Senator Harris. She attacked Biden on an issue that was resolved decades ago, an issue even black voters don't seem to care about, and did so months before the Iowa Caucuses. She should have brought this up in December, not June.

Don't believe me on the busing thing? Well, some black leaders actually opposed busing in the 1970s:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1616659001/

Now, in Harris's defense, I think the one thing she did score points on was getting Biden to look bad in a debate, which certainly could hurt his electability argument. To me, Biden's problem isn't the actual criticism on busing, but rather his response. However, as this poll indicates, it hasn't hurt him with actual voters.
I agree completely with your assessment. Biden is a much bigger threat to Trump, and Democratic voters will (and are already) realize this. Biden may not be a great debater, but many would rather have him than what we have in office now. Harris made a serious error in making race a central focus of her campaign. Plus, when people have had time to reflect on it, they are not going to respond well to her attacking an elder statesman. The new ABC poll has her in third place, which is about where I see her ending up (or perhaps fourth place).

Old 07-03-2019, 09:39 AM

12,971 posts, read 13,721,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Bad Assumption.

They admit it's not a scientific poll. It was based on 1023 people called at random and only the ones who said they were Democrat or left leaning Independents were counted.

As far as the busing thing goes, the NAACP was behind the lawsuit that integrated the schools.
The NAACP was in decline those years after 1969. Stokely Carmichael referred to integration as "subterfuge." The NAACP was criticized for being too white and too moderate to find common ground with the ideals of the new Black Power Movement, MLK's criticism of the Vietnam War, and black Nationalism. Busing was no doubt something that the African American elite wanted for their children like Kamala Harris.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The NAACP was in decline those years after 1969. Stokely Carmichael referred to integration as "subterfuge." The NAACP was criticized for being too white and too moderate to find common ground with the ideals of the new Black Power Movement, MLK's criticism of the Vietnam War, and black Nationalism. Busing was no doubt something that the African American elite wanted for their children like Kamala Harris.
Incorrect. It went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Leftists are simply trying to make excuse for the War monger and racist they try not to run as President.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swann_...d_of_Education

And as far as Biden goes, he was against ALL Civil Rights legislation. Here's your boy telling us how he really feels about it.
“I do not buy the concept, popular in the ’60s, which said, ‘We have suppressed the black man for 300 years and the white man is now far ahead in the race for everything our society offers. In order to even the score, we must now give the black man a head start, or even hold the white man back, to even the race. I don’t buy that,” Biden said to a weekly newspaper in Delaware in 1975. "I don’t feel responsible for the sins of my father and grandfather. I feel responsible for what the situation is today, for the sins of my own generation. And I’ll be damned if I feel responsible to pay for what happened 300 years ago.”

Old 07-03-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. It went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Leftists are simply trying to make excuse for the War monger and racist they try not to run as President.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swann_...d_of_Education

And as far as Biden goes, he was against ALL Civil Rights legislation. Here's your boy telling us how he really feels about it.
“I do not buy the concept, popular in the ’60s, which said, ‘We have suppressed the black man for 300 years and the white man is now far ahead in the race for everything our society offers. In order to even the score, we must now give the black man a head start, or even hold the white man back, to even the race. I don’t buy that,” Biden said to a weekly newspaper in Delaware in 1975. "I don’t feel responsible for the sins of my father and grandfather. I feel responsible for what the situation is today, for the sins of my own generation. And I’ll be damned if I feel responsible to pay for what happened 300 years ago.”
It seems odd that you use a statement Biden made that many conservatives agree with today to show how unfit he is for office. I guess liberals will have to fight fire with fire and go with Biden.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:14 AM

34,294 posts, read 18,671,820 times
Why are people believing in ANY POLLS after what happened to Hilary?

Old 07-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It seems odd that you use a statement Biden made that many conservatives agree with today to show how unfit he is for office. I guess liberals will have to fight fire with fire and go with Biden.
You don't know how "many conservatives" feel. Care to try again, like actually address what was posted.

But I'm sure you don't. Because you can't. The old exhausted out of touch man has a racist past. He even referred to himself as a "White Knight" during that speech. This in a party that his now calling Betsy Ross racist.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:27 AM

8,514 posts, read 8,866,933 times
Only the ones who said they were Democrat or left leaning Independents should be counted for a primary election poll.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
You don't know how "many conservatives" feel. Care to try again, like actually address what was posted.

But I'm sure you don't. Because you can't. The old exhausted out of touch man has a racist past. He even referred to himself as a "White Knight" during that speech. This in a party that his now calling Betsy Ross racist.
see thread on reparations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections