Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times

Advertisements

To win the WH, Dems need tons of deplorable, wwc, Rust Belt votes. The inverse is not true.

It will be entertaining watching them grovel for them as the election nears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 09:35 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,305,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Misadventures? Almost 60,000 died due to JFK/LBJ Vietnam "misadventures".

https://www.militaryfactory.com/vietnam/casualties.asp
More died under Nixon than LBJ. LBJ told Ev Dirksen that he considered Richard Nixon a traitor because he sent Anna Chenault to torpedo his peace talk efforts during the 1968 campaign. Four years later, Nixon cut a deal to get us out of Nam with the same deal we should have gotten in 1968 if Richard Nixon hadn’t played politics with servicemen’s lives.

LBJ is a great President for if nothing else the passage of the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, while it should be acknowledged with the help of a very different Republican Party that at that time had virtually no Southern members and was not yet corrupted by the South.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
To win the WH, Dems need tons of deplorable, wwc, Rust Belt votes. The inverse is not true.

It will be entertaining watching them grovel for them as the election nears.
We shall see. There will be more deaths among white working class voters between 2016 and 2020 than Trump’s victory margin in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. With every election the percentage of the electorate composed of WWC falls about 2%. Over time the R base has to expand or pray that the D’s just don’t vote.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:43 PM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

LBJ is a great President for if nothing else the passage of the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act.

It was terrific that the GOP held an incredibly high % of votes to pass the CRA, I agree. 80% plus in both chambers got it through despite filibustering by Long-time KKK member & Democratic Senator Robert Byrd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

https://www.conservapedia.com/index....le=Robert_Byrd

Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,678,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
That’s not racist and you know it. For a party to continue to succeed in America, it has to continue to look like America. That was the opinion of a long time Republican operative, not me.

And still you play your damned games. You’re the one who longed for Trump to get rid of “the Jungle Junk” at the White House. You’re not denying that because you can’t. You posted it. You’ve outed yourself for what you are. If that’s not racism, then what is? Certainly not a lifelong Republican stating the obvious over the long term direction of the Republican Party.
Yes it is.

You still make the claim here that the Black man or ANY non-White person is so one dimensional that they couldn't possibly vote for a Republican. i.e. Void of critical independent thought. That's the most racist statement of all.

And the rest of you post is a personal attack which simply proves that you don't have an argument.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yes it is.

You still make the claim here that the Black man or ANY non-White person is so one dimensional that they couldn't possibly vote for a Republican. i.e. Void of critical independent thought. That's the most racist statement of all.

And the rest of you post is a personal attack which simply proves that you don't have an argument.
It’s not a personal attack to note that you have made overtly racist statements on this very forum. Everyone who reads your stuff knows exactly what you are by reading your own words.

What the article said is that it would be in the long term best interest of the Republican Party to be forced to make more attempts to broaden its coalition to include more persons of color and urban white college grads. The base that Trump depends upon are predominantly white non-college and it’s the only demographic that’s shrinking like a rock. They are also fearful and resistant to the demographic change that is coming regardless of what actions are taken now. Depending on slipping through to wins in the electoral college based on WWC voters in key states while getting crushed by larger and larger numbers in the national popular vote is a short term solution and a long term disaster. Over the course of time it won’t work. It’s like the old Fram oil filter commercial. “Pay me now or pay me later” and the longer you go the more damage is done to the car, or in this analogy, to the GOP brand with an electorate that will continually be more diverse. There’s nothing to say the minorities might turn more Republican in the future, but not with a GOP that caters to white resentment over that demographic change. There’s nothing racist in saying that at all. It’s just the cold, hard facts.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:00 AM

19,833 posts, read 9,398,479 times
OR the Republican party can become more centrist (which is what I personally would like to see).

Many people are very, very tired of the far left's influence, but they don't like pandering to the wealthy elites and bigotry or racism of any sort, either, and neither are they are all fundamentalist Christians. Most people are pro-choice to at least some extent.

If the Republicans would start trying to appeal more to the working and middle classes of ALL ancestries and religions, it would go a long way to regaining its popularity and health, I think.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
OR the Republican party can become more centrist (which is what I personally would like to see).

Many people are very, very tired of the far left's influence, but they don't like pandering to the wealthy elites and bigotry or racism of any sort, either, and neither are they are all fundamentalist Christians. Most people are pro-choice to at least some extent.

If the Republicans would start trying to appeal more to the working and middle classes of ALL ancestries and religions, it would go a long way to regaining its popularity and health, I think.
At this point and I am talking the 2020 election it is unlikely the left or left Dem candidates will appeal to enough voters to defeat Trump. I have a gut feeling a lot of voters will just not show up at the polls and that is really sad. I can remember when everyone looked forward to being old enough to vote: Election day was so exciting and people were proud to cast their votes.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,293,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Yeah, rather than calling for silly gimmicks that will never happen (abolishing the electoral college) or talking about how terrible Trump is, the Never Trumpers should focus on actually building out a policy agenda that people will vote for.
One of the basic problems with the GOP is their preTrump agenda on foreign policy (Iraq war), economic policy (tax cuts and pro big business regulations, middle class entitlement cuts) and social policy (outsource to conservative evangelicals) were fairly unpopular and didn't move voters.

For all of Trump's racism and demagogory, he has (rhetorically) moderated the party by criticizing the Iraq war, big business, drug prices, and deemphisized LGBT issues and Paul Ryan style entitlement cuts. Now in practice he hasn't substantively changed policies and is mostly ruining on white grievance politics, but he at least put an alternative message forward.

Never Trumpers will never take back the party if they just write opeds in the NY Times about how Trump is destroying the country.

Last edited by jpdivola; 07-17-2019 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 AM

2,984 posts, read 1,169,646 times
Default MEUSER: Federal Court Deals Serious Blow To The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact

https://www.dailywire.com/news/50915...ign=benshapiro ( On Tuesday, the Denver-based U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit ruled that the Colorado secretary of state violated the Constitution when he removed an Electoral College delegate who had chosen to vote for John Kasich instead of Hillary Clinton. The secretary of state nullified the vote of the delegate and installed a new delegate who voted in accordance with the popular vote of the state of Colorado.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections