Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 06:03 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times

Advertisements

And, so it goes. Any child can predict it. The left will call for the ABOLISHMENT OF LIFETIME JUDICIAL APPOINTMENTS!, at some point during the confirmation of President Trump's Supreme Court nominee.

After all, is it coincidence that Senator Reid's reaction to difficulty in getting President Obama's Supreme Court nominees was the NUCLEAR OPTION!

The lesson? That mature, well-adjusted adults, don't throw a tantrum and cry, [i]It's not fair![i] at every set back.

There is a definite pattern here. Can't get what you want? Throw a tantrum, literally or figuratively. Argue differently if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 06:07 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
And, so it goes. Any child can predict it. The left will call for the ABOLISHMENT OF LIFETIME JUDICIAL APPOINTMENTS!, at some point during the confirmation of President Trump's Supreme Court nominee.

After all, is it coincidence that Senator Reid's reaction to difficulty in getting President Obama's Supreme Court nominees was the NUCLEAR OPTION!

The lesson? That mature, well-adjusted adults, don't throw a tantrum and cry, [i]It's not fair![i] at every set back.

There is a definite pattern here. Can't get what you want? Throw a tantrum, literally or figuratively. Argue differently if you can.

Concur

Dems must win at any cost to America...even if it means turning it into Mehico.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:08 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:

Or change the rules and don't give Obama's nominee a hearing until "after the election".

Written by a Republican:

"The GOP knows XXXX well if this were a Presidential year, McConnell would be rushing through a nominee before the election regardless of his prior statement. You know he would. Stop pretending the Garland obstruction was anything other than preventing Obama from getting an appointment."

Can We Stop Pretending?
https://www.themaven.net/theresurgen...EeFWFB2RBVwHA/

Old 06-29-2018, 06:26 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:

I will try, but I am sure my arguments will be discounted as leftist whining.

I have never liked the EC. There's no need to explain to me how it works, I understand that. The issue I have with it is that it renders so many votes irrelevant. If you live in a solidly blue or solidly red state, the outcome of most presidential elections is regarded as a foregone conclusion. Do you honestly think that encourages voter turnout? I don't, and I am just crazy enough to think that voter turnout is a good thing.

The counter-argument, I am sure, will be that in a popular vote, candidates would campaign only in big cities and ignore the rest of the country, and that those cities would have an unfair advantage. I don't believe that. It may be that more campaign events would be held in major population centers, but do you not realize that there are conservative voters in such places, just as there are liberal voters out in the country? I am a liberal in a very conservative state, and right now I feel voiceless. I suspect that conservatives living in NYC feel equally voiceless. Why is that okay with you?

Lastly, supporters of the EC will say that a popular vote would lead to mob rule. Is it really more desirable to leave the whole outcome in the hands of a few voters in key swing states? Unless we somehow manage to govern by consensus, there will always be those who win and those who lose, in an election. Do you really believe it is better for the few to override the many?

As for lifetime judicial appointments, I have only one thing to say: we can talk about it when people on the right stop saying they want RGB to be put out to pasture, or worse, saying they wish she would hurry up and die.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:54 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
We have seen one outrage of a tantrum after another from the Left. They are sore losers.

They have cried wolf so many times over Trump that most of us are getting weary of it. Now we have the media puppets telling us that if Trump picks another judge it will be the end of Roe V Wade and shortly after that America will follow.

When Trump was elected they told us we were all doomed. When Trump was talking tough about Kim Jong Un we were all doomed to die in a nuclear fire. There has been so many dire predictions yet here we are and doing well.

The sign carrying people that march to abolish need to realize that the Left is playing them and keeping them in a constant state of panic. This is exactly what Russia wanted when they were trying to cast confusion into our election. The actions of these "sheeple" must be pleasing Putin.

Obama once told us that there are consequences to elections but that was when he expected to be consoling the Right and wishing them better luck next time.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:00 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
My team loses to last second TD pass.

Outlaw passing...

Old 06-29-2018, 07:16 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I will try, but I am sure my arguments will be discounted as leftist whining.

I have never liked the EC. There's no need to explain to me how it works, I understand that. The issue I have with it is that it renders so many votes irrelevant. If you live in a solidly blue or solidly red state, the outcome of most presidential elections is regarded as a foregone conclusion. Do you honestly think that encourages voter turnout? I don't, and I am just crazy enough to think that voter turnout is a good thing.

The counter-argument, I am sure, will be that in a popular vote, candidates would campaign only in big cities and ignore the rest of the country, and that those cities would have an unfair advantage. I don't believe that. It may be that more campaign events would be held in major population centers, but do you not realize that there are conservative voters in such places, just as there are liberal voters out in the country? I am a liberal in a very conservative state, and right now I feel voiceless. I suspect that conservatives living in NYC feel equally voiceless. Why is that okay with you?

Lastly, supporters of the EC will say that a popular vote would lead to mob rule. Is it really more desirable to leave the whole outcome in the hands of a few voters in key swing states? Unless we somehow manage to govern by consensus, there will always be those who win and those who lose, in an election. Do you really believe it is better for the few to override the many?

As for lifetime judicial appointments, I have only one thing to say: we can talk about it when people on the right stop saying they want RGB to be put out to pasture, or worse, saying they wish she would hurry up and die.
You seem to ignore (or perhaps oblivious to) the fact that the high population states also have more electoral votes proportionally to their population. And last time I checked, the electoral college is the sum of all the electoral votes a candidate gets.

As for your gripe about being voiceless. That is how democracy works. The majority rules. You being a liberal in a conservative state means you are a minority.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:26 AM

182 posts, read 331,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
... That is how democracy works. The majority rules.
The majority of people did not vote for Trump. The majority of people did not vote Republican for their house member. The US is a republic, not a democracy. What is being suggested to change how the republic works to better reflect the majority.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:30 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
The majority of people did not vote for Trump. The majority of people did not vote Republican for their house member. The US is a republic, not a democracy. What is being suggested to change how the republic works to better reflect the majority.
Beat me to it.... Spot on!

Old 06-29-2018, 07:39 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
At the center/bottom of the center/left ("majority") coalition which is the bulwark of the Democratic Party is an unmotivated, un-thinking component who are essentially no good -- incapable of the discipline of a steady job and a useful, productive role; they need to be identified, isolated, and kept busy, quiet, and hopefully, until they learn, demonstrate, and respect responsible behavior -- out of a voting booth. Mandatory drug testing would be a huge step in the right direction.

Quote:
Good you can show your true colors but scary for the rest of us.

I sure plenty of anti-Trumpers feel they same way about those who voted for him.
And if you want to identify with the abusive, destructive, parasitic minority, you need to be identified and shunned as such.

I voted for Johnson, BTW, and the combined Trump/Johnson/McMullin/Castle vote exceeded the Clinton/Stein vote; Clinton would likely have lost a 2-candidate runoff.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-29-2018 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies