Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 05:56 AM

17,716 posts, read 6,972,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Greece's centre-right opposition party has won the country's parliamentary elections, as Golden Dawn, the far-right anti-immigrant party who were previously Greece's third-largest, lost each of its 18 seats.

With more than 99 per cent of votes counted, Kyriakos Mitsotakis' New Democracy had 39.85 per cent of votes, compared to 31.5 per cent for Syriza, the leftist party led by prime minister Alexis Tsipras.
Link: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8992906.html

Good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 02:03 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,755,438 times
Yeah because the leftists bankrupted Greece and jacked up the unemployment rate. No wonder why right wing movements are becoming more popular in Europe

Old 07-10-2019, 04:01 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,698,674 times
They are dropping like flies. People are sick and tired of the globalists.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130531..._front_big.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/20130531...k_back_big.jpg

Old 07-10-2019, 05:51 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,834,398 times
Many (or all?) left, right and just Greek are responsible for Greece’s recurring bankruptcy. Including purportedly Mitsotakis' father and former prime minister, friend to the crony capitalists and international forces. Try to blame everything on one side and you are probably wrong.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:01 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,103,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Many (or all?) left, right and just Greek are responsible for Greeceā€™s recurring bankruptcy. Including purportedly Mitsotakis' father and former prime minister, friend to the crony capitalists and international forces. Try to blame everything on one side and you are probably wrong.
I always find it funny when Americans try to paint all world elections as Left vs Right, when the reality is that those terms do not mean the same around the world as they do here.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:04 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,834,398 times
Explain how they differ in Greece if you are knowledgeable of that theater.

I see radical left, center left, center right, far right and independent in their political history. It may be more complicated but I doubt they transcend left - right. I have had no reason to pay close attention though.

I see New Democracy described as center-right, "liberal-conservative" and Christian Democrat. How do you described them and why?

They want tax cuts and growth instead of austerity to pay back loan bailouts? Or new concessions that the EU and the banks say are not going to come?

That is a complicated stance but just as hypocritical as a lot of America's so called fiscal conservatives.

Relief from austerity may be popular cry to get votes but it also makes the masses complicit with the problems and the lack of exit from the problems.

Will the center-right actually solve the problem or just use the problem for votes and then the power for gains for the elites?

In a bankrupt or near bankrupt country, there is lots of blame to go around.

Syriza was only in power for 4 years. Greece has had huge problems for decades previously and presumably longer than that.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-10-2019 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,103,463 times
Quote:
Explain how they differ in Greece if you are knowledgeable of that theater.

I see radical left, center left, center right, far right and independent in their political history. It may be more complicated but I doubt they transcend left - right. I have had no reason to pay close attention though.

I see New Democracy described as center-right, "liberal-conservative" and Christian Democrat. How do you described them and why?

They want tax cuts and growth instead of austerity to pay back loan bailouts? Or new concessions that the EU and the banks say are not going to come?

That is a complicated stance but just as hypocritical as a lot of America's so called fiscal conservatives.

Relief from austerity may be popular cry to get votes but it also makes the masses complicit with the problems and the lack of exit from the problems.

Will the center-right actually solve the problem or just use the problem for votes and then the power for gains for the elites?

In a bankrupt or near bankrupt country, there is lots of blame to go around.

Syriza was only in power for 4 years. Greece has had huge problems for decades previously and presumably longer than that.
My response was to the OP. And I agree with you the problems in Greece transcends Political Parties, you have a country who is basically bankrupt and the population won’t put up with austerity measures. So there will be a bounce back between parties as 5he one before it fails to solve issue and loses support.
My point is that to try to infer a American Left vs Right definitions to other countries is just being naive about those countries history and problems they face.
For example in most Western European Right govt. abortion,guns, religious rights and gay rights etc are not an issue as they may be here. Government issued Health Care is NOT a Left issue in Europe as it may be here.

Last edited by Beach Sportsfan; 07-10-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 08:55 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,451,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They are dropping like flies. People are sick and tired of the globalists.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130531..._front_big.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/20130531...k_back_big.jpg
syriza is not globalist.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,698,674 times
Quote:
Many (or all?) left, right and just Greek are responsible for Greeceā€™s recurring bankruptcy. Including purportedly Mitsotakis' father and former prime minister, friend to the crony capitalists and international forces. Try to blame everything on one side and you are probably wrong.
Nah. It's the crooks at the IMF and ECB.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,130,765 times
No co-incidence that since Italy cleaned up its backyard, Greece is now the #1 entry point for immigrants.

Spain is #2...once Greece goes full Italy, watch Spain follow suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections