Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 04:25 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,824,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If Buttigieg is the nominee, I expect an even easier path to victory for President Trump. Black voters won't up their turnout for him. And I don't see how he wins over white working class voters from President Trump.
I think he'd win non-evangelical white working class voters. Buttigeig as the nominee however will really drive evangelical turnout for Trump. As far as the black vote, I think they would come around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 04:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear. I'm glad you are interested in my positions. Maybe you will take lesson. I have not sold myself out to a single party. You know this.

Pete Buttigieg is the Democrat's dream candidate on paper. His only issues seems to be with Black Democrats. Likewise they seem to be the only ones here posting against him.

The actions speak for themselves.
Should I take lesson, you think?

It's truly AHHMAZING how you are able to discern the race of all the posters here on CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Honestly, the nonplussed reaction of centrist liberals on here when it comes to Pete's deception reveals their hypocrisy and partisanship, and in that sense proves many of the right wingers on here right about how often the left is equally biased and partisan as the right. We're all happy to point out what a lying flip-flopper Mitt Romney is, and to go after Lindsey Graham for speaking out of both sides of his mouth. But we don't hold Pete to the same standard?

Why, because he has a nice personality? Is it because he happens to be advocating for at least some positions that some people like, so if you currently agree with him, you're just not going to think about the fact that he might change it again at any moment? Just because a candidate flops to a position you currently hold doesn't make him trustworthy.

***I'll add that this is all notwithstanding the fact that his campaign as is merely represents a continuation of the corrupt crony capitalism that plagues our political system.
I'm ok with his position change because it happens to be the policy I want. I don't want radical overthrow of our insurance system. I want a Medicare option and IF that works . . well, then let's take another look at Medicare for all.

So why should I beoytch and moan about it?

Old 11-22-2019, 05:13 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,430,472 times
The right continue to bring up Mayor Pete's sexual orientation but he won't fit the bill if he was a woman, minority, immigrant, Muslim etc. They believe their party should continue on the majority older, white male path. The left welcomes diversity. The debate stage shows it.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:25 PM

853 posts, read 337,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think he'd win non-evangelical white working class voters. Buttigeig as the nominee however will really drive evangelical turnout for Trump. As far as the black vote, I think they would come around.
In the primary most of the white working class vote is going to Biden or Sanders depending on voters age. Buttegeig's rise is mostly driven by older white professionals. What makes you think it will be different in the general?

Old 11-22-2019, 05:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,824,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
In the primary most of the white working class vote is going to Biden or Sanders depending on voters age. Buttegeig's rise is mostly driven by older white professionals. What makes you think it will be different in the general?
Because most Biden/Sanders voters will vote for whoever the D nominee ends up being and if it's Buttigeig, they will vote for him.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:51 PM

853 posts, read 337,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Because most Biden/Sanders voters will vote for whoever the D nominee ends up being and if it's Buttigeig, they will vote for him.
In 2016 some of the white working class voters in the upper Midwest who had voted for Obama went for Trump because they couldn't bring themselves to vote for a Wall Street centrist. You really think Buttigieg is the one to get them back?

Old 11-22-2019, 05:52 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,058,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
do you really want a status quo candidate?
I'm with Valhallian on this one. I will vote for Pete if I must, but he is the 37 year old male version of Hillary Clinton. He's a money follower.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Should I take lesson, you think? .
You are making multiple posts in a topic I created. I think it speaks for itself.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,226,596 times
Quote:
In 2016 some of the white working class voters in the upper Midwest who had voted for Obama went for Trump because they couldn't bring themselves to vote for a Wall Street centrist. You really think Buttigieg is the one to get them back?
It’s all about building coalitions. Someone like Bernie or Warren would equally struggle bringing over moderates. They inspire some people, but they also don’t inspire a lot of others at all. Why do you think people wouldn’t just sit at home and not vote the same way they did for Hillary?

Old 11-22-2019, 06:10 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't white working class voters of the mid-West identify with a white working class man from Indiana? They are a lot closer to Pete Buttigieg than they would be to any leftist elite from either coast. And especially one who has gotten rich by selling them out for the last 40 years.

If Democrats are REALLY interested in winning back parts of the electorate, Pete Buttigieg stands a chance of it. Else they are going to be left with block voting African Americans (not that I didn't say all Blacks) and the truly crazy fringes on the left. This won't win them the Presidency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections