Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 10:00 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

When the various states show their first count (like 2 percent is in, 1 percent is in, etc.) on primary night or the general election night are those the mail in ballots and/or early voting ballot counts? I'd really like to know if mail in counts and early voting counts represent that first number reported to the news media or are those votes the last counts done and reported? Is it done (counting and reporting) the same way in all non-caucus states?

I'm asking because early voters and mail in voters may not know some candidates dropped out after they cast their ballot. I'd like to know how the dropouts did with the early voters and the mail in ballot voters.

Unrelated, are you surprised the news media announced some results before the polls were closed? I thought that was no longer done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 12:10 PM

6,968 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When the various states show their first count (like 2 percent is in, 1 percent is in, etc.) on primary night or the general election night are those the mail in ballots and/or early voting ballot counts? I'd really like to know if mail in counts and early voting counts represent that first number reported to the news media or are those votes the last counts done and reported? Is it done (counting and reporting) the same way in all non-caucus states?

I'm asking because early voters and mail in voters may not know some candidates dropped out after they cast their ballot. I'd like to know how the dropouts did with the early voters and the mail in ballot voters.

Unrelated, are you surprised the news media announced some results before the polls were closed? I thought that was no longer done.
I don't think they are counted at all unless the race is under 1% difference between the candidates.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:11 PM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I don't think they are counted at all unless the race is under 1% difference between the candidates.

They are counted in my county, which was mail in only, for yesterdays election. I think they are always counted.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:16 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
My husband and I both voted early for John Delaney (protest votes although he was listed on the Colorado early voting ballot), but so far the Colorado shows zero votes for him with 70% of the vote in. So, after all the votes are counted and it still shows that Delaney received NO votes, then I won't know what to think!

Old 03-04-2020, 12:17 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
My understanding is that early ballots are counted and released in the order that they were received. That’s why there was a sharp difference in the first votes being reported generally being more pro-Bernie than the later vote reported. Biden surged nationally after those early ballots were submitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections