Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 12:54 PM

7,494 posts, read 7,179,877 times

Advertisements

So the current president previously had voted by mail but now is adamantly against it indicating that there'll be too many problems and is not handled appropriately.

To satisfy all parties why don't they just implement for all states in absentee ballot at least for this presidential election and that would alleviate any concerns.

https://www.vote.org/absentee-ballot/

Already requested my absentee ballot for the upcoming November election and you should do yours today as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 12:59 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
I always vote this way...to hard to take time to go to a polling station and wait in long lines.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:00 PM

1,361 posts, read 553,056 times
We already vote by mail here in Washington state. In the recent primary we had to declare on the OUTSIDE of the envelope our party affiliation.

Something new here on the left coast... common sense says it should go on the inside along with my vote... but rest assured I'll be hand delivering my ballot so my Democratic postman won't see my Republican ballot and toss it.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:17 PM

Agree it's a no-brainer and especially with the current state of the country and the midst of this Coronavirus pandemic it makes much more sense for people's safety to minimize any further deaths than to have people stand in line all day.

In addition, more people will vote contributing to a better and more accurate depiction of the country.

Even states that previously did not offer absentee ballots I just found out that for Virginia they're now offering it and when you need to indicate a reason why you're unable to vote in person that day they tell you to select illness due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

For your own health and safety, I encourage everyone to get involved and register now for your absentee ballot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I always vote this way...to hard to take time to go to a polling station and wait in long lines.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
We already vote by mail here in Washington state. In the recent primary we had to declare on the OUTSIDE of the envelope our party affiliation.

Something new here on the left coast... common sense says it should go on the inside along with my vote... but rest assured I'll be hand delivering my ballot so my Democratic postman won't see my Republican ballot and toss it.
Cite please? That does not seem right.

Although maybe primaries have different rules.

We vote by mail in Colorado as well. Works great.

It apparently worked well enough for Trump to vote absentee in Florida; has worked for military, other expats, college students etc for quite some time. Pretty sure I voted absentee in my first presidential election 40 years ago and no one had an issue then. Leaves a paper trail and no "hanging chads" . Seems pretty straightforward.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:46 PM

That's the hysterical part of it it's okay for the president to do it but not for everyone else to do it talk about setting a good example.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Cite please? That does not seem right.

Although maybe primaries have different rules.

We vote by mail in Colorado as well. Works great.

It apparently worked well enough for Trump to vote absentee in Florida; has worked for military, other expats, college students etc for quite some time. Pretty sure I voted absentee in my first presidential election 40 years ago and no one had an issue then. Leaves a paper trail and no "hanging chads" . Seems pretty straightforward.

https://crosscut.com/2020/03/your-vo...ty-thats-wrong

Pathetic eh?

Old 04-17-2020, 02:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
Yeah that's just wrong.

In CO we have a 2 envelope system which seems to work well. Outer envelope is for privacy.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yeah that's just wrong.

In CO we have a 2 envelope system which seems to work well. Outer envelope is for privacy.
Yep. I don't mind voting by mail at all... as long as BS like this is left out. I do think that fraud is definitely possible... especially when the mailman knows what party the voter sides with.

Lets not forget the closest governor's race in US history right here in WA in 2004... the R was declared the winner after the initial count and then the D was awarded the victory by 100 something votes after like 5 recounts. Apparently they were finding boxes of uncounted ballots in the trunks of people's cars.

On a side note the $30 car tab initiative that was voted for by the people in Nov. was blocked by a judge to prevent lost revenue and I had to pay my $400 car tab anyway. This proves IMHO that the left will get what they want here in WA either from a judge or from multiple recounts.

It's not enough to make me leave though... politics aside I am happy here on the left coast.

Back on topic, one can only hope this party affiliation on the outside of the envelope garbage is resolved by the November election... because it's a 100% violation of voter privacy. The fact it's happening here doesn't surprise me though. Additionally, I had a roommate move to Missouri 7 years ago. The same King Co. elections that you saw on the envelope in the linked article keeps sending him ballots to my address. I've emailed and called telling them he is no longer a resident of the state and I've been told that only he can remove himself from the voter rolls.

I mean WTF? Another example of how fraud can occur. All I have to do is choose a vote, sign his name, and mail it in... (after I choose my party affiliation on the outside of the envelope)

Old 04-17-2020, 02:39 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
It’s a state issue, not a federal one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections