Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 02:59 PM

101 posts, read 127,600 times

Advertisements

Win or lose in 2020, the Trump name will still be around in 2024 as major players in the election.

It's also very possible that whomever wins in 2020 or at worst 2024 will likely get to nominate not one, but two Supreme Court Justices. If by some miracle Ruth Bader Ginsburg was still around in 2024, she would be 91 years old. Nobody ever talks about Stephen Breyer who will be 82 in August. This is huge for shaping the Supreme Court.

I think however for 2024, the field has some early favorites on both sides to emerge as front runners.
What I will say however is that will predict that even if Joe Biden wins in 2020, I do not suspect he will run for a second term at age 82 in 2024 if that were the case. There are also some who think Trump will try to do everything possible to get a third term. I do not think that will happen because I think at that point in his life, it will be more about building a brand/ legacy, and pushing forward the Trump name for his family, and I think Trump will be all for grooming Don Jr. to succeed him in 2024, or to run against the Democrat incumbent.

GOP

1.) Donald Trump Jr.
2.) Nikki Haley
3.) Mike Pence

Im predicting the final three will come down to Trump jr, Pence, and Haley. Even if Trump were to lose in 2020, his base will remain loyal and it will be tough to win in the GOP if you are not tied to the current administration.

Democrat

1.)Pete Buttigieg
2.) Kamala Harris
3.) Andrew Cuomo
4.) Stacey Abrams
5.) Gavin Newsom

I think all signs are pointing to Andrew Cuomo making a presidential run in 2024, and potentially being the front runner, and If Kamala ends up becoming Biden's VP Pick, I don't expect her to go away any time soon as well as Mayor Pete.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:04 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
I doubt it. I think Trump will have a similar impact as Obama had for the Democrat Party. Personally popular within the party, his presence and influence won't be as great when he isn't on the ballot himself.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:30 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,896,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post
1.) Donald Trump Jr.
Not a chance. Maybe Ivanka? Nah, doubt it. Even Steve Bannon called her "dumb as a brick" in his book.

Remember when conservatives were against political dynasties in 2016? I do and hope they don't turn into hypocrites yet again on this issue.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:40 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post
Win or lose in 2020, the Trump name will still be around in 2024 as major players in the election.
I think Trump's name will be around in 2024, but not the way some think. He'll be running for President to reclaim it from Biden. Maybe he'll be the second President to serve non-consecutive terms.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:15 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Trump may not even be alive after 2024.

https://twitter.com/TomJChicago/stat...10932300709890

Old 05-12-2020, 08:13 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,749 times
Trump values loyalty. Pence has been loyal, and by my read, Trump has been grooming him and letting his VP strut his stuff. If Trump survives into 2024, Pence will likely be the most visible, experienced, and well known VP to ever have run in modern times.

Pence, may rub people the wrong way, but his innate decency may pay huge dividends from a country weary of gotcha-you-scum politics. In the end, if Pence remains loyal, Trump will back his boy. And by then, I am betting the country will like the clean wholesome decency of the very humble Mike Pence.

On another note, Trump will be a huge force once he leaves the presidency. It is rather obvious he will start a media organization and do some pay back on politicians and fake news. They have it coming and Trump is a master at labeling folks and needling them. With his bank roll and talent for getting under people's skin we are looking at years of popcorn theater.

Donny may run in the future but as Governor or Mayor, not President. Ivanka is even money to run for President as a Democrat. If she makes it out of the primary I doubt she could be beat, as long as she runs as a Democrat. She is formidable, she is not my cup of tea, but cripes running as a Democrat she is pure poison for the Republican party. And people may not be able to see it, but the Democrats are really just a bunch of tribal coalitions and Ivanka checks the right box with many of them, without respect for what people want to think. She is young and accomplished, in both business and now politics, that will catch the eye of a lot of women. She is hot, a packed and stacked blonde, she will have no trouble getting the black male vote nor the male hispanic vote. Then she has a record of standing up for women's issues in terms of pay, family leave etc. That is formidable.

As I pointed out, Nikki Haley is good on paper, she has great talent, but her history of extramarital affairs are problematic. It is sexist, I know, but men can get away with it. A philandering woman running for President under the Republican banner won't make it. No great loss as she is just another neocon.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 05-12-2020 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 08:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I think Trump's name will be around in 2024, but not the way some think. He'll be running for President to reclaim it from Biden. Maybe he'll be the second President to serve non-consecutive terms.
It would be interesting to see such a race. I doubt Trump would win though in 2024 after a term of Biden. By 2024...hopefully the economy will be showing signs of life and people will remember who got us into the four painful years we will have just experienced. It would end up like the 2012 election and Biden would be elected to a second term, though it will be much closer in the EC than it will likely be in 2020. By 2028 the economy should be starting to rev up again. It’s unlikely Biden makes it though eight years though. I question whether or not he will last four. His VP pick will be very important.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:11 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It would be interesting to see such a race. I doubt Trump would win though in 2024 after a term of Biden. By 2024...hopefully the economy will be showing signs of life and people will remember who got us into the four painful years we will have just experienced.
You mean three painful months? And yep, we all know the answer of “who”

Old 05-12-2020, 09:53 PM

356 posts, read 121,495 times
Biden may not be alive until the convention.

Who would be his replacement?

Old 05-12-2020, 11:24 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
Nikki Haley has always had my vote. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump made her Secretary of State to bring her back into the spotlight before 2024. I don't think any Sec. of State lasts more than one term. The job is exhausting - chronic jet lag and stress.

I'd like to see Don Jr run for mayor of NYC or Gov. of NY after the fiasco of the Covid-19 response there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.