Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:05 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,697,780 times

Advertisements

In one of his ads BO states he was raised by a white mother and white grandparents who struggled to do so. Yet he says he is black and married a black woman. He has 90% of the black vote which shows that black voters are not voting for a candidate but instead for a black man. I can hear the echo's of the OJ Simpson murder trial.
The only stand Obama ever took was on a bathroom scale. He is worse than a politician. He is a used car salesman selling lemons. Obama is a man who speaks out of both sides of his mouth and he can do it at the same time. He first defends his pastor and when the going gets tough, off with his head. BO has clearly demonstrated he cannot be trusted. He will always opt out for his greater good and sacrifice any one who gets in his way.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:15 AM

437 posts, read 631,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
He has 90% of the black vote which shows that black voters are not voting for a candidate but instead for a black man.
And this is a problem...how? Do you honestly believe that Kennedy didn't get the Catholic vote in droves?

Quote:
I can hear the echo's of the OJ Simpson murder trial.
Sounds like laughter, doesn't it?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:41 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,618,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
Still here, I see.
And you kinda forgot this is my thread, look at the OP....

You are still here causing trouble I see and I thought maybe they had turned off your power by now for non payment.

Nobama 08
He still cannot win the big ones!!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,618,264 times
Quote:
In one of his ads BO states he was raised by a white mother and white grandparents who struggled to do so. Yet he says he is black and married a black woman. He has 90% of the black vote which shows that black voters are not voting for a candidate but instead for a black man. I can hear the echo's of the OJ Simpson murder trial.
The only stand Obama ever took was on a bathroom scale. He is worse than a politician. He is a used car salesman selling lemons. Obama is a man who speaks out of both sides of his mouth and he can do it at the same time. He first defends his pastor and when the going gets tough, off with his head. BO has clearly demonstrated he cannot be trusted. He will always opt out for his greater good and sacrifice any one who gets in his way.

Exactly!!!!

He can only win the states with a large black population and still has not won a major state that matters.

Nobama 08
Go McCain....
Anyone but a racist rat like Nobama

Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 AM

437 posts, read 631,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
I thought maybe they had turned off your power by now for non payment.
Wow, that made sense.

Quote:
He has 90% of the black vote which shows that black voters are not voting for a candidate but instead for a black man.
Earth to HillBillies: a person can vote for a candidate for whatever reason they want to.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,402,292 times
Quote:
Sounds like he's finished reading "How to be a Typical Politician" then. This statement would be the same for Hillary, McCain, or any other politician of the last 50+ years.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,825 times
Quote:
And you kinda forgot this is my thread, look at the OP....

You are still here causing trouble I see and I thought maybe they had turned off your power by now for non payment.

Nobama 08
He still cannot win the big ones!!
It is the left behind old white woman syndrome. Tired of soap operas, nobody to play with, too old to get out of the house, etc...

Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM

58 posts, read 92,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
I thought that stuff happened wayyyyyy back in the old days, like horse buggies? Oh, that's right. It wasn't even 50 years ago, which means that the majority of your family that lived through that time is still alive. Say, you think the government will pay them reparations for all those years they paid taxes for roads they couldn't drive down and schools their children couldn't attend? Or is that "too long ago," like slavery and anything else people of color have suffered from in the past two weeks?

If I sound angry, it's because I AM angry, probably much angrier than I have the right to be. I know nothing of the fear your family faced in those times, and the turmoil I faced as a young, white mother of (eventually) four in a working class white neighborhood. What I DO remember was people actively resisting change, wasting time that could've been spent getting to know one another (or at the least, spending time with our respective families), and going out of their way to prevent the inevitable. All it did was tear us apart, right down the middle. Even families were divided. It took my husband years to accept that the man who taught him how to shave and drive and the man who hated blacks, Jews and Hispanics to his dying day was the same man, his father. (He hated them so much that he spent his last days screaming about how one of the nurses was a dirty Jew-with-a-capital-K. I don't even think she was Jewish.) Very painful to have those kind of last memories of your father, but it hardly compares to being denied the right to sit where you please.

I feel like grabbing everybody under 60 and screaming, "Didn't you people learn ANYTHING from us?" Because none of this is new. Race baiting, class baiting, gender baiting, this is all old style politics, and it's working even better now than it did 50 years ago. When three out of then people polled believe that the guy with the wacky Christian preacher is a Muslim, you know that something is TERRIBLY wrong. In fact, I don't remember any time of anti-Muslim movement before 9/11, and I still can't believe sometimes the hatred and distrust people have over an entire religion because some evil people drove planes into the WTC. I know this is going to sound dramatic, but it almost feels like 1968 all over again, only this time people can openly talk about their disdain for Muslims. I'm not coming from a place of privilege, or of an inner city schoolteacher turned HBCU professor, or white guilt, or whatever these sniveling C-D white trash racists-in-denial Frepublicans (fake Republicans) claim I'm coming from. I'm coming from the point of view of a (formerly) young mother watching my world change for the better, wondering why so many people I loved were wildly against it, and worried about how it would affect my children (none of them over 50), who were also affected by these things and have stories of their own to tell.

Up until very, very recently, my sister was a Hillary supporter. If Hillary was going down with the ship, my sister was the captain; she didn't bail out of that boat until the water was up to her eyes. If you asked her why (because Lord knows I did), she could tell you without using the words "bitter," "elitist," or "Muslim." A lot of her points were very valid, such as Barack's handling of the Rev. Wright ordeal being because of his lack of experience. So I don't believe that all Hillary supporters are HillBillies, nor do I believe that all Obama supporters are the educated elite. But I DO believe that the Hillary supporters who claim that race isn't a factor in this election are very suspect, especially the ones who cry "racism" at 90% of African-Americans voting for Obama, but say nothing of the 60+% of whites voting for Hillary. Believe me, white people don't like Hillary that much, and McCain even less. And by no means am I trying to say that I'm one of the few enlightened. There are LOTS of us - regardless of political party - who are sick of dog whistle racism and sexism, who could care less what Barack's middle name is, who don't think that Hillary's marriage to Bill has a thing to do with her running the country, who can forgive McCain the occasional mind hiccup. We're screaming this at the top of our lungs - all of us - and are left wondering why Rev. Wright got more coverage than Sen. Clinton last week. THAT, I think, is what's causing so much ill will. We're not at each other's throats as much as we appear. I think we're all just burned out.

I guess my question is this: have we, as a nation, forgotten this turbulent time, or are we just ignoring it? Because only the most hardcore bigots can look back at the 1960s and say, "We should go back to that!" Those who talk about "the good old days" either weren't there, have very selective memories or were on the wrong side.

We get called baby rapists from time to time, but like with anti-white rhetoric, anti-Catholic rhetoric isn't going to affect my life any any manner other than occasionally hacking me off. Maybe I should take a page from the City Data handbook and start whining about how hard it is to be in one of the largest, richest, and most influential religions in the world because people sometimes say mean things about us.
I will say this. My father and father in law never really talked much about the bad times. The majority of the time they spoke of the good things in their lives. Both are still alive. I don't think my father has voted for a dem since JFK. But this time I think he may vote for Obama. I would say neither one of them expects any money from anyone for past wrongs. Its not an issue with them. My father does wear a flag pin everyday and has already had a flag in the front of his house. He went to Korea at age 17 because of his uncle. My grand uncle was a USMC doing WW2 fighting in the Pacific. During WW2 black Marines were trained at Mofit Point. It was a part of the base at Camp Lejune NC. As a young kid I never heard him complain about racism.

And to your question. We should remember those times and learn from them. But also we must move past them. Things are much different today. Stop listening to race pimps like Al, Jackson and some of the talk radio haters also. It serves not purpose.
I heard someone say we didn't all come over the same ship but we are all in the same boat now.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:20 PM

58 posts, read 92,990 times
Quote:
Exactly!!!!

He can only win the states with a large black population and still has not won a major state that matters.

Nobama 08
Go McCain....
Anyone but a racist rat like Nobama
Reading a book is not against the law. Stop the hate and think.
Obama calls himself a black man because in America he is considered a black man. This one drop rule was not invented by black people. Do you know anything about the one drop rule? It would be nice if some people would bother to read a history book once in awhile. Stop getting all your information from talk radio.
He won in Iowa. Gee weez catch a clue.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy45 View Post
I will say this. My father and father in law never really talked much about the bad times. The majority of the time they spoke of the good things in their lives. Both are still alive. I don't think my father has voted for a dem since JFK. But this time I think he may vote for Obama. I would say neither one of them expects any money from anyone for past wrongs. Its not an issue with them. My father does wear a flag pin everyday and has already had a flag in the front of his house. He went to Korea at age 17 because of his uncle. My grand uncle was a USMC doing WW2 fighting in the Pacific. During WW2 black Marines were trained at Mofit Point. It was a part of the base at Camp Lejune NC. As a young kid I never heard him complain about racism.

And to your question. We should remember those times and learn from them. But also we must move past them. Things are much different today. Stop listening to race pimps like Al, Jackson and some of the talk radio haters also. It serves not purpose.
I heard someone say we didn't all come over the same ship but we are all in the same boat now.
Respect, respect, respect! Kudos to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections