Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,872,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy45 View Post
I will say this. My father and father in law never really talked much about the bad times. The majority of the time they spoke of the good things in their lives. Both are still alive. I don't think my father has voted for a dem since JFK. But this time I think he may vote for Obama. I would say neither one of them expects any money from anyone for past wrongs. Its not an issue with them. My father does wear a flag pin everyday and has already had a flag in the front of his house. He went to Korea at age 17 because of his uncle. My grand uncle was a USMC doing WW2 fighting in the Pacific. During WW2 black Marines were trained at Mofit Point. It was a part of the base at Camp Lejune NC. As a young kid I never heard him complain about racism.

And to your question. We should remember those times and learn from them. But also we must move past them. Things are much different today. Stop listening to race pimps like Al, Jackson and some of the talk radio haters also. It serves not purpose.
I heard someone say we didn't all come over the same ship but we are all in the same boat now.
Thank you for your voice of reasoning. It's much appreciated!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 PM

58 posts, read 92,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Respect, respect, respect! Kudos to you!
Thanks.
I see no good coming from Americans hating each other. It does not make sense to me at all. If I disagree with people I will do it on issues. Not talking points from race pimps or 88 groups.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,902,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
Go crawl into your rat hole with the rest of your whimpering, spineless friends who cry like babies every time somebody says something that makes you feel uncomfortable in your own (privileged) skin. You're lucky I don't sic Rev. Wright the boogeyman on you pampered little brats. What would I look like uniting with you, someone who'll probably jump up and call Obama the n-word the minute he says something you consider too pro-black or hurtful to us poor, disenfranchised Caucasians? I'll never unite with the likes of you.

See you at the polls.
You're not a very good judge of character I take it. I decided a few posts back to take the high road with you. There is no sense in spewing constant negativity so I simply say good luck to you in your future endeavours and God Bless.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,825 times
Quote:
Thanks.
I see no good coming from Americans hating each other. It does not make sense to me at all. If I disagree with people I will do it on issues. Not talking points from race pimps or 88 groups.
I wish there were more people like you in the US on both sides of the political spectrum. We could possibly disagree on issues, I don't know, but I respect people with civility and intelligence enough to know that we can't do this without respect and the ability to agree to disagree, yet still strive for the common good.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I wish there were more people like you in the US on both sides of the political spectrum. We could possibly disagree on issues, I don't know, but I respect people with civility and intelligence enough to know that we can't do this without respect and the ability to agree to disagree, yet still strive for the common good.
I feel the same way you do.
Thanks

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,825 times
Quote:
I feel the same way you do.
Thanks
Okay then, when do we start the revolution because I am not sure any other way will work.

The parties have so polarized the general public that I don't know what might work. This year we went from a 2 party system to what appears to be a
2-1/2 party system. With all the divisiveness it looks hopeless.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM

437 posts, read 631,807 times
Quote:
I will say this. My father and father in law never really talked much about the bad times. The majority of the time they spoke of the good things in their lives.
One of my senior students wrote a very interesting essay about where and how she felt the civil rights movement failed young African-Americans. She started off by saying how her family rarely discussed things like race and race relations, other than to say that it was her responsibility to work as hard as she could because she was an African-American. It wasn't until she was an adult that she learned that her family was heavily involved in the civil rights movement, primarily on the issue of voting. She mentioned how if she asked her grandparents about something like the assassination of MLK or if she asked her mother about integration, they would find ways to change the subject.

Having been in the minority (professionally) for a little more than a decade - both as a teacher in an inner city school district and a professor at a historically black college - I can honestly say that I've never felt this thick cloud of anti-white hatred that so many whites claim they feel every time they walk down the street. That doesn't mean that I wasn't distrusted, or disliked, or distrusted/disliked solely because I was a white woman. I was. But confrontations with a student were usually handled promptly by one of the administrators. For the most part, the students didn't care that I was white and wouldn't have treated me much better had I been black. I'm sure some of the students were able to get away with muttering "white b*tch" under their breaths as they left my class, but if I was ever truly discriminated against, it was obviously so minor that I didn't even notice. So when I hear white people constantly talk about the "race card" (boy, I hate that term so much), or how "all said...and s/he said OH ITS CUZ I'M BLACK AIN'T IT!?!" and somehow magically manage to get their way, I tend to raise a brow.

I'm not saying there aren't people of color (or non-color) who attempt to use their race as a crutch or an excuse or as an intimidation tactic - there most certainly are. Heaven knows I taught (or didn't teach) a few. But when I hear the same examples of black racism over and over again - "How come I can't say the n-word when they can say it?" or "Historically black colleges are racist!" or "Obama is getting 90% of the black vote and that's racist!" - it makes me wonder what their race card actually looks like. While I don't believe in black racism (I believe racism in this country is an institution, not an act) I certainly believe that blacks can be bigots, just like any and all other groups. I'm all for discussions about bigotry, black, Hispanic or otherwise. But don't be surprised if I start laughing when Ebony magazine is used as an example.

Quote:
Both are still alive. I don't think my father has voted for a dem since JFK. But this time I think he may vote for Obama. I would say neither one of them expects any money from anyone for past wrongs. Its not an issue with them.
I apologize if you thought I was actually asking you if they felt they deserved reparations. I was commenting more on this train of thought that we can't give reparations to African-Americans because slavery was so long ago, yet no one is arguing for reparations due to African-Americans who probably aren't going to die for another 10-15 years, on average. The argument of time just drives me nuts. I get so tired of moderate racists bringing up the old battle cry of "slavery is over!" while completely ignoring everything that came afterwards, from the Black Codes to Reaganomics.

Quote:
My father does wear a flag pin everyday and has already had a flag in the front of his house.
Can't say that about my husband (other than the "went to Korea" part; he's 12 years my senior). Then again, no one would question his patriotism or lack thereof over a piece of metal made in China.

Quote:
And to your question. We should remember those times and learn from them. But also we must move past them. Things are much different today. Stop listening to race pimps like Al, Jackson and some of the talk radio haters also. It serves not purpose.
I'm doing my best to stay away from American media, period, though I confess to reading a lot of Huffington Post, which I know I need to stop doing. Other than that, I get the bulk of my information from the BBC. I disagree somewhat with the idea that Jackson, Sharpton, etc. are race pimps (what the heck is a race pimp?), simply because I don't even think anybody takes them seriously. This is a little sad, because they're both smart men, but at this point, I think their break from the mainstream is pretty permanent. I do agree, however, with the notion (I think it was Tim Wise) that if more people were to stand up and publicly speak out against racism - even for the disenfranchised that aren't as pure as the driven snow, like those godforsaken pound cake thieves - then we wouldn't have to see Al and Jesse every single time. Do people really want more allies in the war against racism so those two can retire, or do people just want them to shut up about this whole "race thing" and go away?

Quote:
I heard someone say we didn't all come over the same ship but we are all in the same boat now.
Interesting theory. That one is going to roll around in my head for a minute.

Whew! Sorry about these long, rambling posts of mine. You have me in a strange past/present place that I haven't been in for a while. Consarn it, has Hillary conceded yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
You're not a very good judge of character I take it. I decided a few posts back to take the high road with you. There is no sense in spewing constant negativity so I simply say good luck to you in your future endeavours and God Bless.
See you at the polls.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Okay then, when do we start the revolution because I am not sure any other way will work.

The parties have so polarized the general public that I don't know what might work. This year we went from a 2 party system to what appears to be a
2-1/2 party system. With all the divisiveness it looks hopeless.
I have said the same thing myself. I am waiting on the start date.
Its funny but I have heard many people talk about a revolution on both sides. The bad thing is revolutions never turn out the way you want them to. It usually makes things worse. History is not on the side of the revolution. The last good one was U.S.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:36 PM

Its odd that you would write about that. Because my wife and I didn't find many things out until we were both in our thirties. My grandfather was shot in the back by a white man that owed him money. No one was ever arrested. Seventy years ago in the south this was not a big deal. My father didn't hate the south because of one evil person. On my mothers side my white great grand mother was run out of the south. This was because of her half white kids. Her father who was a big wig and died. When this happened the town came for her family. She had a choice give up her kids and husband or go to jail. Well she left in the middle of the night giving up all her wealth that her father had left to her. It was a huge farm and she lived the life of a southern belle. Her father protected her when he was alive but once he died there was no protection. So the left everything and went north. My grandmother was very young at the time and only remembers her mother letting out the kitchens and packing lunch for the train ride. My great grand mother died when I was 12 and had plenty of stories. But she would never talk about why she left the south. She did talk about her family a lot. She never went back south and she had a hatred for all white people because of what happened to her. But she was still loved by her family. I love all history. But my sister has done some research. about our family and it was very interesting. On my fathers side we have a two hundred year old grave yard.

But with all this my father still have love for the south. Even though I grew up in the north I have always liked the south. I live in socal and my wife and I plan to move south this year. One reason is socal is not the place it was twenty years ago. To many people, taxes to high etc.

I'm not saying there aren't people of color (or non-color) who attempt to use their race as a crutch or an excuse or as an intimidation tactic - there most certainly are. Heaven knows I taught (or didn't teach) a few. But when I hear the same examples of black racism over and over again - "How come I can't say the n-word when they can say it?" or "Historically black colleges are racist!" or "Obama is getting 90% of the black vote and that's racist!" - it makes me wonder what their race card actually looks like. While I don't believe in black racism (I believe racism in this country is an institution, not an act) I certainly believe that blacks can be bigots, just like any and all other groups. I'm all for discussions about bigotry, black, Hispanic or otherwise. But don't be surprised if I start laughing when Ebony magazine is used as an example.

I agree with you on the media. Sometimes its to much, radio, cable, internet oh boy.
Al and Jesse have a following I hate to say. They are both hypocrites. Sometimes their cause is just, most times it is not. The right needs people like them to complain about. And the left needs them. Hillary kissed the ring of Al when she went to NYC. She did this because she knew he could bring votes to her. For instance the Jena six situation in my opinion that was not a just cause. You can't stomp on a kids head. There was racism in the town that caused the problems to start with, but still two wrongs don't make a right.
Another example. Sean Bell. I do think the police are innocent but Al is marching. Last month a young black teenager was killed in Los Angeles by an illegal alien gang banger. The father is trying to get special order 40 rescinded. This will allow LAPD to arrrest illegal alien gang bangers. The da's office told the father that they will portray his son as a gang banger. His son was a good student and never was involved in gangs. My question is where are Jesse Al. The only ones that have taken up the fight are the local right wing talk shows.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
If people insist on acting like children, they will be treated accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections