Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 02:46 PM

215 posts, read 46,836 times

Advertisements

https://mobile.twitter.com/KamVTV/st...27624310112256

Can I taste those sweet liberal tears

Old 08-29-2020, 02:51 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,123,803 times
It is starting to come together. The leftists thugs are about to reap the whirlwind, and hard.

Did you really think that riot-America was going to be a thing? did you really think that citizens were going to tolerate a country where you can't open your business, but no one will stop communist thugs from burning it down?

Old 08-29-2020, 02:54 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
As I stated in another thread, this is actually pretty significant, especially considering the unrest in Democrat cities across Minnesota and given how close Minnesota was last time around. Out of all the political endorsements on both sides these past few months, this is perhaps the most significant; Billy Graham's granddaughter and losing McCain and Romney campaign aides endorsing Biden certainly were not significant.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:54 PM

853 posts, read 337,579 times
Unfortunately nobody lives in the Iron Range anymore. Minnesota will be decided in the Twin Cities metro.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Unfortunately nobody lives in the Iron Range anymore. Minnesota will be decided in the Twin Cities metro.
Keep in mind that Hillary only won Minnesota by 45k votes. The Iron Range has tens of thousands of residents (close enough to 100,000 per my basic calculations), of course some of them not voters. I say every vote will count.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:12 PM

853 posts, read 337,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Keep in mind that Hillary only won Minnesota by 45k votes. The Iron Range has tens of thousands of residents (close enough to 100,000 per my basic calculations), of course some of them not voters. I say every vote will count.
No Republican has gotten more than 46% of the vote in a Minnesota statewide election since 2006. 2016 was so close because 7% voted 3rd party. Minnesota tends to go with mavericks and populists, Hillary was about as unpopular as an establishment Democrat can be in Minnesota and she still won. Biden's greatest threat isn't the Iron Range, losses there have been offset by significant Democratic gains in Rochester and the Twin Cities suburbs. His greatest threat is that disaffected leftists in Minneapolis will vote Green Party in significant numbers as a protest vote. If that doesn't happen he will win.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
No Republican has gotten more than 46% of the vote in a Minnesota statewide election since 2006. 2016 was so close because 7% voted 3rd party. Minnesota tends to go with mavericks and populists, Hillary was about as unpopular as an establishment Democrat can be in Minnesota and she still won. Biden's greatest threat isn't the Iron Range, losses there have been offset by massive Democratic gains in Rochester and the Twin Cities suburbs. His greatest threat is that radicalized and disaffected leftists in Minneapolis will vote Green Party in significant numbers. If that doesn't happen he will win.
As I mentioned in another thread just a little while ago, that third party argument assumes that these third party voters would have voted for one of the two main party candidates had they not had third party options. I don't think we should be making that assumption.

Every vote will count in states like Minnesota, whether we are talking about voters in the Iron Range or voters elsewhere who are put off by the rioting and looting and talk of defunding police (in terms of voters most gainable for Donald Trump).

I'm not convinced that third party candidates are going to be doing as well as they did in 2016 either. We heard a lot more about Gary Johnson and Jill Stein by this stage in the game in 2016. I could be wrong, though (I hope I am and hope that you are right and that these leftists do vote for the Green Party).

Old 08-29-2020, 03:21 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,123,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
As I stated in another thread, this is actually pretty significant, especially considering the unrest in Democrat cities across Minnesota and given how close Minnesota was last time around. Out of all the political endorsements on both sides these past few months, this is perhaps the most significant; Billy Graham's granddaughter and losing McCain and Romney campaign aides endorsing Biden certainly were not significant.
McCain and Romney are losers, democrat-light candidates, and will not cost Trump a single vote. Trump has buried their political reputations by doing better with minority voters in the LAST election. It goes to show that no one respects men without convictions.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
McCain and Romney are losers, democrat-light candidates, and will not cost Trump a single vote. Trump has buried their political reputations by doing better with minority voters in the LAST election. It goes to show that no one respect men without convictions.
I agree. Look, I've long said that there is plenty to criticize Donald Trump on. But much of the criticism directed his way is based on rank lies and distortions. Plus, much of the criticism is often hypocritical, which cheapens it IMO.

I have said it many times, I believe that the attacks we saw from McCain (RIP) and Romney against Trump stem from their jealousy that Trump was able to actually succeed where both of them had failed in terms of winning the White House. And, like you mentioned, he did so by winning a larger percentage of the minority vote than they did.

Romney's criticism was/is particularly interesting as this is a man who auditioned to serve as President Trump's Secretary of State. Why in the world would you audition to serve under a man you find so morally objectionable?

Old 08-29-2020, 04:59 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
As usual with these Twitter threads started by Greenpastures/Route#s or whatever sock they happen to be using on a given day, there are no links to the actual news.

So here is the link: https://www.postbulletin.com/news/go...ump-with-Pence

And here is the supposed reasoning: "Like many in our region, we have voted for Democrats over many decades. We have watched as our constituents' jobs left not only the Iron Range, but our country. By putting tariffs on our products and supporting bad trade deals, politicians like Joe Biden did nothing to help the working class. We lost thousands of jobs, and generations of young people have left the Iron Range in order to provide for their families with good-paying jobs elsewhere."

I had to check to make sure this site wasn't satire because they're literally describing the situation under Trump with the tariffs, bad trade deals and historic jobs losses. In fact, the article even specifically fact checks how it was the Obama administration that started going after Chinese steel dumping, a move that benefitted this same area that was supposedly harmed by Democrats. Obama never put tariffs on those products. Trump did. So what we have here are a bunch of people who have no idea what they're even talking about and buying into complete lies. It's a pretty standard case of literally supporting those that are actively harming them, and then projecting that harm onto the ones who were helping. Republican voters have some serious cognitive dissonance issues.

Also, the mayors don't even seem to be Democrats as far as I can tell. One said he was an independent who hasn't been an actual Democrat since the 1970s, and the others didn't say who they've been voting for or how they're registered. They're not all even current mayors.

In any case, I must be missing something... we're talking about 6 votes. Even in the closest county in this region in 2016, 6 votes was less than 0.001% of the more than 6,500 votes cast. Clinton won that county by over 24x that number, and the other counties in the region are significantly more blue than that. Furthermore, 2016 was not even the closest election in these counties in modern elections. W Bush lost Cook County by 7% in 2004, but Trump lost it by 22% in 2016. In fact, Bush won Cook County in 2000 by more than 4 points. Other counties in the region only went more red relative to Obama's 20-35 point wins. So yeah, these mayors don't speak for their regions at all and this seems like much ado about nothing.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 08-29-2020 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections