Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 08:36 AM

16,631 posts, read 8,636,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I'm not sure how you consider Flroida anywhere near as safe of an R state as Texas. It actually has 1 staewide D in office and has pretty much been a 1/2 to 2 point state the last half dozen years (aside from Rubio) That tight of a margin means it really comes down to turn out and massaging a specific demographic or two.

I do not think Biden will win Texas but he will come closer than Clinton and in 2024 that state will be the new Florida in terms of competitiveness. The big question is Biden gets Trumps margin down to 5 or something astounding like 2.
Take a look at the last time FL had a (D) governor or (D) controlled House or Senate.
It was a long time ago.
The entire state is red with maybe 5 counties (mostly made up of liberal snowbirds).
Now Bill Clinton did win it once, when he was running against Dole, and Obama did win it twice, but that was based more on poor candidates, rather than an ideological shift in the state.

Granted TX is more red than FL, but my money is on FL & TX staying red, and MI staying blue.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 08:50 AM

14,036 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Take a look at the last time FL had a (D) governor or (D) controlled House or Senate.
It was a long time ago.
The entire state is red with maybe 5 counties (mostly made up of liberal snowbirds).
Now Bill Clinton did win it once, when he was running against Dole, and Obama did win it twice, but that was based more on poor candidates, rather than an ideological shift in the state.

Granted TX is more red than FL, but my money is on FL & TX staying red, and MI staying blue.

`
Bush only win Florida by 573 votes.

You could also say that Clinton Lost it because she was a bad candidate if you’re applying that logic to why Romney and McCain both lost it.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:05 AM

22,194 posts, read 19,481,704 times
Quote:
It was a long time ago.

As far as the State Senate and House, the Republicans had control in 2000 and 2010 and were able to gerrymander the districts which certainly helped.

Regarding the Governor races, yes the GOP has won those, but we aren't talking any big margins here. During the last 3 races for Governor, the largest margin was 1.15%.

You might be able to make an argument that the state as a whole liens GOP, but it would be ever so slightly so.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:04 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
New Texas poll released Sunday 9/6/2020
900 Likely Voters - Dallas Morning News

Let's see how much support Trump loses in the next week or two due to calling soldiers losers and suckers. Texas has a lot of active military and veterans.

Trump +2

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...iden-6818.html

Old 09-06-2020, 09:06 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,423,176 times
Quote:
It was a long time ago.

Trump's failed pandemic response is hurting him in FL, since there is a lot of at risk population there.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:39 AM

10,805 posts, read 4,362,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

Let's see how much support Trump loses in the next week or two due to calling soldiers losers and suckers. Texas has a lot of active military and veterans.

Trump +2

The military veterans are aware of all the military upgrades President Trump funded, when no other previous President would (and Biden certainly won't).
Also, military veterans aren't stupid enough to believe anonymous sources, especially when 11 named sources have confirmed the story is completely false. And several of those 11 sources were former staff, including the anti-Trumper John Bolton!
-Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Former White House Press Secretary
-Hogan Gidley, Former Deputy White House Press Secretary
-Dan Scavino, White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications
-Jordan Karem, Personal Aide to President Trump
-Johnny DeStefano, Former Counselor to the President
-John Bolton, Former National Security Advisor
-Mick Mulvaney, Former Acting White House Chief of Staff
-Stephen Miller, White House Senior Advisor
-Tony Ornato, Then-Secret Service Special Agent In Charge Of The Presidential Protective Division
-Derek Lyons, Staff Secretary and Counselor to the President
-Dan Walsh, Former White House Deputy Chief of Staff
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/w...tory-is-false/

Old 09-06-2020, 10:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:

Trump +2

this is not true or let's just say no one so far has been able to find someone who was there that actually heard him say this. Think, yes his mouth can run astray but do you really think he made the comment as it was reported?

BTW who much do you know about politics and polls? You are saying how much will he lose in the next week or two:: the way polls and politics work any loss will show up on the very next polls, which will probably be released in the next 48 hours.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Trump's failed pandemic response is hurting him in FL, since there is a lot of at risk population there.
This may hurt him in the long run, but I still think he will win there. It may be very close. In fact I feel certain it will be close.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:23 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,021,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Just yesterday, I told a pollster, calling for me by name, that I was voting democrat and was all in for Joe.

Do you think I lied?

You got called again? Here is your posting from July 26th:

"Tonight, I answered a telephone poll as a democratic 30-40 year old woman with a master's degree. Polls are SOOOO accurate."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/elec...l#post58749683

Fortunately, most people that take a poll over the phone do not lie. It seems odd to do so.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:44 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times
Quote:

Trump +2
They did two polls. The other one interviewed 1,176 RV and the result was Biden +1

... and the Univ of Texas also polled for senator and they have Cornyn with a solid +11 lead. That tells me there are a lot of Repubs/Independents who are voting Biden but sticking with Republicans down ballot.

Last edited by Elliott_CA; 09-06-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections