Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 04:25 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times

Advertisements

Interesting article in The Economist. They are adjusting for the chance in their model.

https://www.economist.com/united-sta...-than-it-looks

Quote:
Accordingly, our model is slightly more bearish than others on Mr Biden’s position in national polls. Whereas the New York Times and FiveThirtyEight.com, a data-journalism website, give Mr Biden a lead of nearly 11 percentage points nationwide, our model puts him nine points ahead. Still, even after giving the president a relative boost in the averages, our election model assigns Mr Trump only a one-in-ten chance of winning the election. It would take a massive polling error—considerably larger than in 2016—for Mr Trump to pull off an upset victory again. Partisan non-response bias could account for some of the gap the president needs to make up, but nowhere near all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 04:41 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,731,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Interesting article in The Economist. They are adjusting for the chance in their model.

538 is doing something similar, they show Biden with over 10.5% national lead but if you look at their projected popular vote they have it coming in at 8%.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/st...87466354630656

Quote:
Our *forecast* of the popular vote is Biden +8.2. That's mostly based on state rather than national polls. And it still prices in a tiny bit of tightening/mean reversion.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DortonStance View Post
Trying to save face after Trump wins. Hillarious

The polling industry should be ashamed of themselves
You clearly did not read the article.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housebrook View Post
It is hedging closer trying to save face.

Even Nate Silver tweeted yesterday that Trump can win
Of course he can. That’s how probabilities work.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:03 PM

107 posts, read 60,820 times
Some things just shouldn't be. Let the numbers be what they are -- good or bad. This is another reason why I -- and many others -- no longer believe in any validity when it comes to polls.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
Some things just shouldn't be. Let the numbers be what they are -- good or bad. This is another reason why I -- and many others -- no longer believe in any validity when it comes to polls.
It’s kind of sad to me because you and many others have chosen cynicism over understanding how polling works. Polls are quite accurate if you understand how probabilities work.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housebrook View Post
Not very accurate when they oversample democrats.

Obviously not much they can do If they can't reach rural voters-Shy Trump vote
Again, people who say things like that haven’t taken any time to understand how polls work and prefer to take the route of cynicism instead. Sad....and intellectually lazy.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:03 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
I think Shy Trump voters are more or less a myth or greatly overblown.

The fixation on them is due to an overreaction of 2016 when a narrow polling lead was vastly misinterpreted and the fact the media personalities live in a generally democratic bubble.

In highly educated professional circles in Manhattan and DC there probably are Shy Trump voters since they’re in such a stark minority. This is true even for Conservative columnists. Those don’t exist in say Central Wisconsin where being a Trump supporter is not socially stigmatized because like everyone does it.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM

107 posts, read 60,820 times
Quote:
It’s kind of sad to me because you and many others have chosen cynicism over understanding how polling works. Polls are quite accurate if you understand how probabilities work.
You underestimate me. I fully understand how they work and cynicism has nothing to do with it, but go ahead and accuse. As to their accuracy...that's your opinion.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:08 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 16 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Quote:

As I've said so many times, polls mean nothing. People are foolhardy to even pay attention to those things. I don't. Most of them are manipulative and simply designed to sway public opinion. My mind's made up who my vote goes to whenever I head to the precincts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections