Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 06:43 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,512,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
There is virtually no path forward for Biden if he loses both Pennsylvania and Wisconsin unless the Sunbelt turns sharply in his favor.
After I posted earlier today, I read in my local paper per UWM Poly-Sci Polling, there are not enough remaining GOP voters in WI to overcome Biden's early voting lead. I take that with a grain of salt. Mail-in votes could be the difference, especially if they are disqualified - a very high percentage are disqualified b/c of voter error. Mail-ins in our state are primarily Dem votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 07:00 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think there is a slight difference between when Trump's name is literally on the ballot (2016/2020) vs. when he just has Congressional Republicans as a proxy for himself (2018). There are a number of voters who have little or no interest in their members of Congress, but strong about opinions on the president, and they won't hesitate to show up for (or against) him this year. How the math works out in the key states (which absolutely includes Pennsylvania) remains to be seen.
2018 turnout was the highest in over a century. It was historic by any stretch of the definition. While generally people don't care about midterms, there was a reason that turnout was so high, and it probably wasn't because their senators were particularly exciting. The X factor was Trump even if he wasn't on the ballot by name. And it's why we're also seeing record early voting turnout now. There is no gray area with Trump. You either love and worship him, or deeply despise everything about him. In both cases, that pushes turnout. There are no guarantees, but there are more people that hate Trump than love him. As you said, it's just who shows up in the critical states.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Using common sense, which do you think is more likely:

Trump winning PA by 0.7%

or

Biden winning PA by 7%
Neither, really. I think Biden wins it by 2-3. Since I think it's more likely polls are underestimating Biden than Trump, if there is an error, Biden 4-6. The former is about what Gore and Kerry got in the state, the latter is about half of Obama. I don't think this is unreasonable, especially if you still think 2016 happens. The polling error in PA was very small.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:32 PM

13,794 posts, read 8,032,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Neither, really. I think Biden wins it by 2-3. Since I think it's more likely polls are underestimating Biden than Trump, if there is an error, Biden 4-6. The former is about what Gore and Kerry got in the state, the latter is about half of Obama. I don't think this is unreasonable, especially if you still think 2016 happens. The polling error in PA was very small.
My guess it's the opposite and Trump is doing 3 points better than the polls indicate.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
My guess it's the opposite and Trump is doing 3 points better than the polls indicate.
I mean, it's possible, but there's been little evidence for that. In 2016, there were tons of warning signs that support for him was stronger than national polling, such as Hillary's favorability ratings, early voter turnout that was very close or had Republicans up in some cases, the very high number of undecideds, very weak polling for Democratic candidates in local districts, etc. None of those things are true this year. Polls themselves are not the same, as all have made methodology changes since then to attempt to capture more Trump support.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:09 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,903,497 times
Riots in Philly. Police told to stand down by Dem mayor. Too close to election.

Politics over safety. Dems are consistent, I give them that

Old 10-27-2020, 11:32 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,445,348 times
LOL Trashfalgar

Old 10-28-2020, 01:45 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,594 posts, read 16,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
After I posted earlier today, I read in my local paper per UWM Poly-Sci Polling, there are not enough remaining GOP voters in WI to overcome Biden's early voting lead. I take that with a grain of salt. Mail-in votes could be the difference, especially if they are disqualified - a very high percentage are disqualified b/c of voter error. Mail-ins in our state are primarily Dem votes.
You would see riots in the street if Biden actually does win the electoral college and popular vote, but loses because some random GOP clerk rejects a ballot at the county court house because someone signed the "W" in their name differently than on their drivers license.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:42 AM

8,946 posts, read 2,970,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
on October 28, 2016, Hillary was +5 RCP in PA.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 AM

5,283 posts, read 6,221,083 times
If you look at the 2016 trends this close to the election, Trump was seeing a surge. HRC and DJT also were mired with low overall numbers. Biden is at/above 50% in 7 of the last polls. That means that even if Trump sees a rural surge or wins undecideds again, Biden more able to withstand the surge than someone who was polling at 45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections