Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 01:44 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,352,516 times

Advertisements

It turns out the mailed ballots are not forwarded. When I requested a mail ballot there was no indication that the ballot wouldn't be forwarded to my temporary address. it's now too late to fix the problem so I am a non-voter for the first time since I became eligible to vote many, many years ago. And just when the stakes were the highest ever.

So I have been disenfranchised. Is it a plot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 02:50 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,828,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It turns out the mailed ballots are not forwarded. When I requested a mail ballot there was no indication that the ballot wouldn't be forwarded to my temporary address. it's now too late to fix the problem so I am a non-voter for the first time since I became eligible to vote many, many years ago. And just when the stakes were the highest ever.

Disenfranchisement means someone deprived you of your vote, you are just a voter that didn't do their research so your possible inability to vote is your fauly. You should have immediately updated your address of where to send your ballot when you knew that you weren't going to be at the address when you are registered. You could have done at the same time you were updating the post office on your temporary change.

If you are out of state, either go back to cast your vote or you are just SOL
If you are in state and can't go back to your home precinct, you could probably go to the local precinct and cast a provisional ballot.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:08 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,986,743 times
Quote:

Why can't you go to the polls?

Old 10-27-2020, 03:35 PM

2,817 posts, read 2,126,056 times
Is there an issue with you voting in person?

Old 10-27-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Disenfranchisement means someone deprived you of your vote, you are just a voter that didn't do their research so your possible inability to vote is your fauly. You should have immediately updated your address of where to send your ballot when you knew that you weren't going to be at the address when you are registered. You could have done at the same time you were updating the post office on your temporary change.

If you are out of state, either go back to cast your vote or you are just SOL
If you are in state and can't go back to your home precinct, you could probably go to the local precinct and cast a provisional ballot.
I did my research. I went online to request a mail ballot since I would be out of town for the voting period. All my mail is forwarded and there was no indication on the Board of Elections website or the USPS website that the mail ballot would not be forwarded. In September I went online to verify that my request was recorded. it was. Later I went online to verify that the ballot had been mailed to me. It was. So i waited for the mail to be forwarded. As you probably know, the mail has been slow and forwarded mail even slower. When I didn't receive the ballot after a reasonable wait, I went online again. My status was now "Returned to Sender". I immediately called the election board to inquire about the ballot. I was told that ballots are not forwarded. When I asked if there was anything on the website to indicate that was the case, I was informed that the Board of Elections website doesn't mention this at all. The very nice lady was very sorry and agreed that it was unfortunate, but there was nothing she could do. I would be unable to vote in this election.

Because of quarantines it is not possible for me to return to the jurisdiction to vote and then return to my temporary residence.

The local Board of Elections deprived me of my vote by not specifying on their website that they would not allow ballots to be forwarded. This is disenfranchisement. Disenfranchisement can happen to anyone, even if they are not in a protected group.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:12 PM

Default Absentee Ballots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Is there an issue with you voting in person?
I am in another state, that's why I needed a mail ballot. In some states they are called Absentee Ballots.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:08 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,828,754 times
Quote:
I did my research. I went online to request a mail ballot since I would be out of town for the voting period. All my mail is forwarded and there was no indication on the Board of Elections website or the USPS website that the mail ballot would not be forwarded. In September I went online to verify that my request was recorded. it was. Later I went online to verify that the ballot had been mailed to me. It was. So i waited for the mail to be forwarded. As you probably know, the mail has been slow and forwarded mail even slower. When I didn't receive the ballot after a reasonable wait, I went online again. My status was now "Returned to Sender". I immediately called the election board to inquire about the ballot. I was told that ballots are not forwarded. When I asked if there was anything on the website to indicate that was the case, I was informed that the Board of Elections website doesn't mention this at all. The very nice lady was very sorry and agreed that it was unfortunate, but there was nothing she could do. I would be unable to vote in this election.

Because of quarantines it is not possible for me to return to the jurisdiction to vote and then return to my temporary residence.

The local Board of Elections deprived me of my vote by not specifying on their website that they would not allow ballots to be forwarded. This is disenfranchisement. Disenfranchisement can happen to anyone, even if they are not in a protected group.
This is the source of you mistake and where you need to take responsibility, you assumed that your ballot would be forwarded even though there was no indication that it would be. You should have contacted the BoE to determine, what their policy was with regards to mail forwarding. You shouldn't have even assumed that the mail would be forwarded since voting is based on a specific address. The BoE has no way to know know if a forwarding request is because of a permanent vs temporary change, in fact all they know is that person registered at X address wants and ballot sent to that address.

Again this was your responsibility and not the BoE's fault. Stop trying t make it seem like you were deprived of your vote.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
This is the source of you mistake and where you need to take responsibility, you assumed that your ballot would be forwarded even though there was no indication that it would be. You should have contacted the BoE to determine, what their policy was with regards to mail forwarding. You shouldn't have even assumed that the mail would be forwarded since voting is based on a specific address. The BoE has no way to know know if a forwarding request is because of a permanent vs temporary change, in fact all they know is that person registered at X address wants and ballot sent to that address.

Again this was your responsibility and not the BoE's fault. Stop trying t make it seem like you were deprived of your vote.

All first class mail is forwarded. The ballots are first class mail. Ergo, the ballots would be forwarded.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:35 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,989,388 times
Quote:
All first class mail is forwarded. The ballots are first class mail. Ergo, the ballots would be forwarded.
I have to agree that since voting is specific to location it would be reasonable to assume one could not have say a TX ballot sent to a CA address.. While I am sorry this happened to you, it makes complete sense.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:43 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,249,811 times
Quote:

Show up to your polling place and ask to count a provisional ballot. As long as no mailed ballot reaches them, your vote should be counter. (* just saw the other response that you are out of state, so this is not viable.)

I really do not understand why so many people treated absentee balloting as such a virtue signal this year. In truth if the election comes down to 1-2% in some states, I think Dems could lose based on the number of rejected ballots, ballots that were not sent, and ballots that did not get returned by deadlines.

My question is why you requested a ballot that had to be forwarded as opposed to sending it to your current location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections