Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 04:56 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,868,494 times

Advertisements

Anybody who got covid or has a close family member who went through a bad case sees these rallies as being extremely stupid. It may turn off voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 04:57 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,721,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofan View Post
Trump may be ending his chances of winning the election by creating a spike of Covid cases within his own base with his late campaign rallies which will spread the virus within the rally attendees and preclude a considerable amount of his own base from voting in key battleground states (which is even more crucial since most plan on voting on election day).

Totally absurd how he doesnt see this.
Translation: How dare Trump keep campaigning in the midst of a “pandemic” caused by a virus with a 99.5% rate of survival? Doesn’t he know he’s supposed to lose because it’s Biden’s turn?

Old 10-29-2020, 05:01 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Anybody who got covid or has a close family member who went through a bad case sees these rallies as being extremely stupid. It may turn off voters.
I think he gains more than he turns off with his rallies. I voted for Biden, but I don't think his drive-through rallies pack quite the same punch, although they are safer.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:12 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,868,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I think he gains more than he turns off with his rallies. I voted for Biden, but I don't think his drive-through rallies pack quite the same punch, although they are safer.
Let me rephrase. There are a number of people for whom covid is their single voting issue. I don't see how they would interpret the President's behavior as someone who is actively trying to reduce the impact of this on our lives by flaunting his disregard for the public health.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:17 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,721,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
We lost my wife’s aunt to Covid. Never got mad at the place she contracted it. Nor do I know anyone who is mad at the grocery store, hardware store, etc. where a family member contracted the virus. The only people angry at Trump for holding rallies are the Democrats who are starting to realize that Biden’s win isn’t quite as guaranteed as they’ve been led to believe.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:47 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,470,290 times
Trump rallies will backfire

I think the biggest impact will be on independent voters who see how irresponsible Trump is ... and it doesn't make his base look too good either.

One can get sick anywhere, of course, by almost anyone who may not be showing overt symptoms ... even an in-law or a niece or nephew. But multiple super-spreader attendees take that stuff home with them and can pass it on to total strangers at the ... grocery store, hardware store, etc.

There ARE signs that the independents are breaking for Biden.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:53 PM

2,082 posts, read 925,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

I think the biggest impact will be on independent voters who see how irresponsible Trump is ... and it doesn't make his base look too good either. One can get sick anywhere, of course, but super-spreader attendees take that stuff home with them and can pass it on to total strangers at the ... grocery store, hardware store, etc.

Nice to have a link, so it just anecdotal.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Two points I would make here:
  • This is the internet age, and communication does not require big rallies. Even email is starting to look archaic, but the personalized communication medium is very sophisticated now.
  • Rallies are typically for the party activists, hence the attendance is rather limited. In a normal political environment the ordinary local voter is unlikely to even be aware there has been a public appearance until they see the evening news, and they will hear some sound bites. Trump rallies are something of an exception, and can't be compared to normal political rallies. Trump rallies are the outreach to ordinary voters, not specifically campaign workers, most of these people are not going door to door or doing anything else beside putting up yard signs.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:11 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Ask Herman Cain how he's doing!
Would that be the same Herman Cain who had stage 4 colon cancer?

Old 10-29-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

I think the biggest impact will be on independent voters who see how irresponsible Trump is ... and it doesn't make his base look too good either.

One can get sick anywhere, of course, by almost anyone who may not be showing overt symptoms ... even an in-law or a niece or nephew. But multiple super-spreader attendees take that stuff home with them and can pass it on to total strangers at the ... grocery store, hardware store, etc.

Nice to have a link, so it just anecdotal.
A lot of people who identify as independents today are former Republicans. How many? ... I don't know. But they have left the party for a reason, and that reason usually is Trump, or the feeling that they and their values have been disdained as RINOs by Trump supporters, and as a result have lost a sense of loyalty they once had for the party.

I don't want to overstate this, but we keep encountering the phenomena even on the forums here. It certainly would help Trump to broaden his appeal and reach out, but he seems unable to even try. Perhaps he is so afraid to alienate his base that he dare not pivot? Perhaps he doesn't know how? I don't know.
The third point seems very telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections