Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 11:17 PM

10,546 posts, read 6,191,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What sour grapes are you talking about? Do you even know what that expression means because it certainly doesn't apply.

Here is one definition from https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sour-grapes

pretended disdain for something one does not or cannot have:
Example: She said that she and her husband didn't want to join the club anyway, but it was clearly sour grapes

And here is another:

From this link https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/sour+grapes (my italics):

COMMON If you describe someone's attitude as sour grapes, you mean that they are jealous of another person's success and show this jealousy by criticizing that person. These accusations have been going on for some time now, but it is just sour grapes. The government says that Mr Fedorov's criticisms are mere sour grapes. Note: In one of Aesop's fables (= traditional stories, usually with a moral), a fox tries several times unsuccessfully to reach a bunch of delicious-looking grapes. In the end he gives up, telling himself that they are probably sour and inedible anyway.

Trust me: Trump is NOT jealous of Biden, and Trump's supporters are not jealous of Biden supporters.

The only way "sour grapes" would apply is if Biden actually wins, and then Trump supporters would say something like, "Well, actually, it's good that Trump lost because the years ahead will be so terrible, that who would want that job, anyway?"
Yes I know exactly what the term sour grapes means.

Cambridge dictionary:
"If you describe someone's behavior or opinion as sour grapes, you mean that that person is angry because they have not gotten or achieved something that they wanted:"

ie Trump supporters know they are not winning this election and are angry about it.

Like I said. Sour grapes.

It's a shame they feel the need to resort to threads like this one to find a way to vent.

Happy to educate you on other elements of the English language.
You're welcome anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Sometimes they just need to be educated.
Yes 'they' do don't 'they'?

Old 10-29-2020, 12:02 AM

19,921 posts, read 9,479,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
From Corn Pops?
Sorry, I don't get the reference. Can you enlighten me?

Old 10-29-2020, 12:05 AM

19,921 posts, read 9,479,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Yes I know exactly what the term sour grapes means.

Cambridge dictionary:
"If you describe someone's behavior or opinion as sour grapes, you mean that that person is angry because they have not gotten or achieved something that they wanted:"

ie Trump supporters know they are not winning this election and are angry about it.

Like I said. Sour grapes.

It's a shame they feel the need to resort to threads like this one to find a way to vent.

Happy to educate you on other elements of the English language.
You're welcome anytime.
It is not at all certain that Trump will lose, and so, right now, saying that he will lose is just a guess or an opinion; and that being the case, neither of your assertions are valid.

However, of course and as always, you are free to disagree.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-29-2020 at 12:28 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 07:43 AM

26,051 posts, read 22,250,461 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't get the reference. Can you enlighten me?
Here is a video of the story, he'll also talk about the kids playing with the hair on his legs, and calls the kids to the stage with him, you know, he really has a preference for kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oihV9yrZRHg

Old 10-29-2020, 08:25 AM

13,093 posts, read 9,634,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I really believe he is seriously ill and in rapid decline but it’s hidden as much as possible. His “campaign” is one big void. He’s probably sorry he got himself into this considering the truth is being found out about his probable money laundering China deal, and the toll this is taking on his health. He’s living a lie. That causes chronic stress.
The look on Jill's face a few days ago was priceless, when he was sitting next to her and referred to Trump as "George". I wonder if he was talking about George Bush, or maybe even George Washington ....

I don't want to make fun of a person with dementia. It's a serious and heartbreaking disease, and that's coming from someone who has dealt with an afflicted family member. The disease is terrible, and progresses rapidly in many instances. So it's not making fun of him to say that he's not capable of being president. And I think the Democrat leaders know that - they just itching for the chance to declare him incapable, and slipping unelected Kamala Harris in as President. And God help us, Pelosi is still 3rd in line.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:26 AM

282 posts, read 113,787 times
Biden is the weakest candidate in my lifetime. Even weaker than Dukakis. At least Dukakis didn't have dementia

Old 10-29-2020, 08:31 AM

13,641 posts, read 4,363,100 times
Biden said a few months back: "I was arrested in Africa with Nelson Mandela" This is the grandpa that Democrats want holding the nuclear codes and making trade deals with China. This is scary. He has 1,000 more brain fart moments that is scary. (lies)
/

Imagine if Bill Clinton said in 1992, "I was with JFK when he was shot in Dallas, I was holding his hand" Will you people vote for somebody with dementia?

Old 10-29-2020, 08:43 AM

4,918 posts, read 2,713,148 times
yes!!!!...

BIDEN for win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It is not at all certain that Trump will lose, and so, right now, saying that he will lose is just a guess or an opinion; and that being the case, neither of your assertions are valid.

However, of course and as always, you are free to disagree.
My assertions are valid based on the fact that there are more sour posts on here from Trump supporters than there usually are.
And that's saying something.

I'm free to make any assumptions I like.
And my assumption is that Trump supporters suspect they are going to lose.

Hence weak threads like this one.

It's clutching at straws in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections