Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,611,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Don't attack the other candidates in this thread. Stay on topic here!

My point is that Obama is the one promising hope, change and rainbows but I see zero evidence that he's accomplished that on his home turf. And why not? Because he doesn't have a clue as to how to deliver his promises. And he or Axelrod has cleverly twisted his message have the fine print of that he's only the inspiration, but that it's the people that will have to be doing all the work for it. So that makes his campaign promises cheap and empty ones.
Your point is ineffective in it's scope because of shortsighted memory. All of the candidates conveniently adopted the platform of Change. You see what you wish to see. Here is a brief synopsis.

"As an associate attorney with Miner Barnhill & Galland (fka Davis Miner Barnhill & Galland) from 1993 to 2003, Obama spent about 70% of the time represented community organizers, discrimination claims, and voting rights cases"

From 1984 to '88 Obama built an organization in Roseland and the nearby Altgeld Gardens public housing complex that mobilized hundreds of citizens. Obama says the campaign experienced "modest successes" in winning residents a place at the table where a job-training facility was launched, asbestos and lead paint were negotiated out of the local schools, and community interests were guarded in the development of the area's landfills.

As the $13,000 a year Director of the Developing Communities Project,[25] a faith-based community-organizing agency on Chicago's far south side, funded by an arm of the Catholic Church and overseen by a coalition of black churches,[26] he worked with the low-income residents of Chicago's Roseland community and the Altgeld Gardens public housing development to counteract the dislocation and massive unemployment caused by the closing and downsizing of southeast Chicago steel plants.

Woods Fund of Chicago is a grantmaking foundation whose goal is to increase opportunities for less advantaged people and communities in the metropolitan area, including the opportunity to shape decisions affecting them. The foundation works primarily as a funding partner with nonprofit organizations. Woods supports nonprofits in their important roles of engaging people in civic life, addressing the causes of poverty and other challenges facing the region, promoting more effective public policies, reducing racism and other barriers to equal opportunity, and building a sense of community and common ground.

The Joyce Foundation supports efforts to protect the natural environment of the Great Lakes, to reduce poverty and violence in the region, and to ensure that its people have access to good schools, decent jobs, and a diverse and thriving culture. We are especially interested in improving public policies, because public systems such as education and welfare directly affect the lives of so many people, and because public policies help shape private sector decisions about jobs, the environment, and the health of our communities. To ensure that public policies truly reflect public rather than private interests, we support efforts to reform the system of financing election campaigns.

In 1992 Obama took time off to direct Project Vote, the most successful grass-roots voter-registration campaign in recent city history.

Developing Communities Project (DCP) is a faith-based grassroots organization organizing and advocating for social change in the Greater Roseland Community.

He helped train 700 deputy registrars, out of a total of 11,000 citywide.[Chicago]

Additional Comments and Facts regarding community organizing & Senator Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,213,136 times
America’s Mayors Applaud Hillary Clinton’s "Solutions For Safe & Secure Communities Now" Plan

Mayor Ron V. Dellums
Oakland, CA
Sen. Clinton has displayed a profound understanding of the root causes of crime and violence, and I commend her commitment to coordinating efforts at the federal, state, and local levels to better serve local communities. The weight of this ongoing tragedy of crime and violence gives context to the urgency of this issue. This is a multi-dimensional problem that requires a multi-dimensional response that includes strategies on prevention, intervention, enforcement, and sustainability. I am confident that Sen. Clinton represents the greatest opportunity cities have to expand and strengthen our federal and local partnerships and improve the quality of life for all Americans.
Mayor Willie W. Herenton
Memphis, TN
As our troops honor America with their service abroad, our peace officers in major American cities also need support to keep our neighborhoods safe. Our families want to feel safe in communities where they live, work, learn, recreate, worship, and invest every day. Public safety employees are our ground troops for cities. Restoring COPS and other elements of Sen. Clinton's plan are real solutions in maintaining safe communities. The next President of the United States must keep a watchful eye on issues abroad and our homeland.
Sen. Clinton's plan for safe communities extends beyond these good public safety initiatives. In Memphis, some youth are at high risk of turning to crime and lack many resources that are proven protection from such risk. Her Presidential candidacy also speaks to reducing poverty, high-school drop rates, unemployment, and family violence. As an advocate for the Children's Defense Fund, she understands these issues. We must help our youth to develop life plans that inspire and give promise for tomorrow. This is what we must do today.
Mayor Douglas H. Palmer
Trenton, NJ

I strongly support and applaud Sen. Clinton's comprehensive plan to reduce crime, which will make our cities safer for families and children. I particularly commend her for including in her plan an issue that is important to Trenton and other cities – the issue of how to help former inmates find steady jobs after their release and avoid returning to prison.
Recently, the United States Conference of Mayors, of which I am privileged to serve as president, convened a meeting to address this crisis of mass incarceration and prisoner relapse. Sen. Clinton's plan to create a $1 billion "Closing the Prison Revolving Door" competitive grant is a big step in the right direction to reducing the number of repeat offenders and reducing the prison population, while cutting crime in our communities. I support her ideas of reforming states' parole systems and drug diversion programs, providing productive in-prison programs for inmates, and providing meaningful services and economic opportunities for ex-offenders.
Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa
Los Angeles, CA

Hillary Clinton has the right priorities and the right plan to make our communities safer.
She understands that the federal government needs to invest more in local law enforcement and less in a wasteful war overseas.
In Los Angeles, Chief William Bratton and I have made reducing gang violence our number one priority. I commend Sen. Clinton for making it an important part of her plan, and I strongly support her Gang Reduction Grant program, which will help cities like Los Angeles fight gangs and reduce violent crime.
There is a growing consensus in Los Angeles and cities across the nation that we need to change the way we reduce gang violence, and I am encouraged that Sen. Clinton's plan will empower cities to tailor their anti-gang programs based on their specific needs. Gang violence affects all members of our society – families, schools, faith organizations, community organizations – and we must all work together to reduce it.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,617,990 times
A vote for Obama would give the gangs an open field day.

NOBAMA
We cannot afford him

Old 05-06-2008, 11:27 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,387,821 times
Quote:
georgia dem's question is valid. Obama, not Hillary or McCain is running on a platform of bringing change and uniting everyone into one happy group of Americans. He's the one promising us hope and to cure our bitterness and racial divisiveness.

I say that he should prove himself first in Chicago and IL before taking the reins of our country.
So McCain and Hilary are against bringing change and unity and hope? How have either of them proved themselves in their cities and states? If you do have some examples which relate to gang violence since that's what this thread is about please share them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
America’s Mayors Applaud Hillary Clinton’s "Solutions For Safe & Secure Communities Now" Plan

Mayor Ron V. Dellums
Oakland, CA
Sen. Clinton has displayed a profound understanding of the root causes of crime and violence, and I commend her commitment to coordinating efforts at the federal, state, and local levels to better serve local communities. The weight of this ongoing tragedy of crime and violence gives context to the urgency of this issue. This is a multi-dimensional problem that requires a multi-dimensional response that includes strategies on prevention, intervention, enforcement, and sustainability. I am confident that Sen. Clinton represents the greatest opportunity cities have to expand and strengthen our federal and local partnerships and improve the quality of life for all Americans.
Mayor Willie W. Herenton
Memphis, TN
As our troops honor America with their service abroad, our peace officers in major American cities also need support to keep our neighborhoods safe. Our families want to feel safe in communities where they live, work, learn, recreate, worship, and invest every day. Public safety employees are our ground troops for cities. Restoring COPS and other elements of Sen. Clinton's plan are real solutions in maintaining safe communities. The next President of the United States must keep a watchful eye on issues abroad and our homeland.
Sen. Clinton's plan for safe communities extends beyond these good public safety initiatives. In Memphis, some youth are at high risk of turning to crime and lack many resources that are proven protection from such risk. Her Presidential candidacy also speaks to reducing poverty, high-school drop rates, unemployment, and family violence. As an advocate for the Children's Defense Fund, she understands these issues. We must help our youth to develop life plans that inspire and give promise for tomorrow. This is what we must do today.
Mayor Douglas H. Palmer
Trenton, NJ

I strongly support and applaud Sen. Clinton's comprehensive plan to reduce crime, which will make our cities safer for families and children. I particularly commend her for including in her plan an issue that is important to Trenton and other cities – the issue of how to help former inmates find steady jobs after their release and avoid returning to prison.
Recently, the United States Conference of Mayors, of which I am privileged to serve as president, convened a meeting to address this crisis of mass incarceration and prisoner relapse. Sen. Clinton's plan to create a $1 billion "Closing the Prison Revolving Door" competitive grant is a big step in the right direction to reducing the number of repeat offenders and reducing the prison population, while cutting crime in our communities. I support her ideas of reforming states' parole systems and drug diversion programs, providing productive in-prison programs for inmates, and providing meaningful services and economic opportunities for ex-offenders.
Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa
Los Angeles, CA

Hillary Clinton has the right priorities and the right plan to make our communities safer.
She understands that the federal government needs to invest more in local law enforcement and less in a wasteful war overseas.
In Los Angeles, Chief William Bratton and I have made reducing gang violence our number one priority. I commend Sen. Clinton for making it an important part of her plan, and I strongly support her Gang Reduction Grant program, which will help cities like Los Angeles fight gangs and reduce violent crime.
There is a growing consensus in Los Angeles and cities across the nation that we need to change the way we reduce gang violence, and I am encouraged that Sen. Clinton's plan will empower cities to tailor their anti-gang programs based on their specific needs. Gang violence affects all members of our society – families, schools, faith organizations, community organizations – and we must all work together to reduce it.
That's a handy dandy list right there but wasn't your question "why hasn't he sat down with the gangs"? Has Hilary actually sat down with the gangs or did she have someone type up a nice little plan to emai lto all of her supporters? And isn't she from NY...where's her plan for a safe & secure community there?

I don't care who you support but if you're going to expect something from one candidate then you should expect it from all 3.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 AM

439 posts, read 606,334 times
Quote:
Don't attack the other candidates in this thread. Stay on topic here!

My point is that Obama is the one promising hope, change and rainbows but I see zero evidence that he's accomplished that on his home turf. And why not? Because he doesn't have a clue as to how to deliver his promises. And he or Axelrod has cleverly twisted his message have the fine print of that he's only the inspiration, but that it's the people that will have to be doing all the work for it. So that makes his campaign promises cheap and empty ones.
After being involved in these forums I've come to one conclusion here. You anti Obama people here are scared shi*less that he is gonna be President and show ya that he means what he says. Anyone for McSame and Clinton are voting for the same old corrupt Washington that we have had for the last 30 years. Clinton has to win to make this Fraud charges go away. Why does he scare you so much? You know someone from outside the US once said to me that most Americans are stupid and naive, I was upset at the comment but judging from this forum they weren't far off IMO.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Nice. Endorsements. Now tell us what she has done.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times
walidm - Gang violence is at an all time high in Chicago right now... so it doesn't say much for Obama's skills in quelling violence or bringing unity to his hometown unity... does it?

Yes, our country is hungry for change... we are tired of Bush politics and attitude, and especially his Patriotic act. Anyone of the three candidates will bring some sort of change in America and the world.

Obama says he's not about the past, but the future. And I say that Hillary is about the present and she will do a better job with dealing with our immediate issues. And to be honest, I care less about the future and more about the immediate present. And I feel that most of our country feels the same way.

Maybe the 20-30 is willing to wait for some glorious future, but I want our problems solved sooner than later. And Obama talking about the future is akin to some church pastor telling me how to get into heaven. But I don't want heaven or the concept of blissful peace and white fluffy clouds, just give me a decent reality to live in.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,387,821 times
Quote:
walidm - Gang violence is at an all time high in Chicago right now... so it doesn't say much for Obama's skills in quelling violence or bringing unity to his hometown unity... does it?

Yes, our country is hungry for change... we are tired of Bush politics and attitude, and especially his Patriotic act. Anyone of the three candidates will bring some sort of change in America and the world.

Obama says he's not about the past, but the future. And I say that Hillary is about the present and she will do a better job with dealing with our immediate issues. And to be honest, I care less about the future and more about the immediate present. And I feel that most of our country feels the same way.

Maybe the 20-30 is willing to wait for some glorious future, but I want our problems solved sooner than later. And Obama talking about the future is akin to some church pastor telling me how to get into heaven. But I don't want heaven or the concept of blissful peace and white fluffy clouds, just give me a decent reality to live in.
Oh that's right you never hear about any gang violence in any other city in America. I asked you to provide me with an example of Hilary or McCain "skills in quelling violence or bringing unity to his hometown unity" and you have not which either means you're searching the internet to find some obscure example or you don't have one. If the thread is going to ask a question, then lets try to address it:

The question was why hasn't Obama sat down with gangs in Chicago and my response why do we expect him to? And if the only answer you can provide is because he wants to be president, then why hasn't Clinton or McCain sat down with gangs? And if they have then show me the article.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Time is Relative and I'm certain it's theory is one in which you'd prefer we didn't discuss, i.e. the future became present in the time it took for me to write this sentence. With this is in mind what you do today and the decisions made affect the future. Reality is what you make it, you - not anyone else, which is why we see what we wish to see, and everything is relative.

In examination of the Candidates one has to examine how and why they have arrived at the decision to approach a policy in a particular manner and how it relates to the problems posed today, in order to change the future. I have been critical of the Senators economic policy because she admittedly has based much of it on her husbands prior economic policy.
Economies evolve and the answers for her husbands years do not address the concerns of todays monetary and economic issues. This is different economy - it is a war-time global/export driven economy that has failed to capitalize on a massive amount of in-house talent.
Many say economies are cyclical and improperly state "we are doomed to repeat the past" - a brief study of dialectics proves this assumption fundamentally flawed.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,095,672 times
Quote:
No it isn't. I've lived in Cook County my entire life and in Chicago since 1992. Murders in 1992 were almost 1000 people a year, it is now less than half that. Crime has decreased significantly since the 80's and 90's. I've watched it happen in my own neighborhood, so it is patently false to say that gang violence and crime is at an all time high.

There was some recent publicity about a spat of shootings a couple of weeks ago, but the statistics don't bare out any massive spike in crime, yes, there has been a recent increase in violent crime (6%), but other cities have seen a more significant increase recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections