Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 10:14 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,137,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I mean the stuff like expanding the Supreme Court, Green New Deal, election reform, Medicare for All, student loan forgiveness, etc. Most of that’s a nonstarter even with Dems in control of Congress. The moderate R’s and more moderate D’s like Manchin won’t pass any of it. Some less controversial items will be easier though. Nominating justices (inc. Supreme Court of anyone retires), confirming cabinet members, and even passing more advanced pandemic relief should be easier.
I don't think expanding the court was ever a serious proposal. The Green New Deal is basically just an outline and has no real details behind it, so I don't know why everyone gets so bent out of shape with it. It's been vastly misrepresented. On election reform, what would be objectionable? I think most Americans support M4A, so that wouldn't be radical. Student debt is a massive problem, so it has to be addressed to some degree, and college has to be made more affordable at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 10:17 PM

11,986 posts, read 5,324,601 times
At 12:07 Eastern, David Perdue leads Ossoff by 1,888 votes with an estimated 73,000 left, with 20,000 in DeKalb. DeKalb, Fulton and Chatham are the 3 largest counties with remaining votes.

Warnock leads Kelly by 35,000.

Decision Desk has already declared Warnock the winner, but no mainstream source has of yet.

It looks likely that Ossoff will pass Perdue when the remainder of the vote comes in from those three Blue counties, but there are potentially 17,000 votes from Americans Abroad (mostly military) that have until Friday to be received. Loeffler looks like a sure loser, but the military vote could still save Perdue and with him the Republican majority in the Senate.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:18 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,396,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Trump's not the smartest tool in the shed but continually lying about how this voting process was rigged and then begging them to go out and vote in the senate runoff in the next breath definitely wasn't the smartest thing to say.
With Trump out of office in two weeks, the guy probably could care less at this point if the Republicans kept the Senate or not, and maybe he actually wanted the Democrats to win both seats, basically one giant middle finger to the Republican Party on his way out the door!

Old 01-05-2021, 10:19 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,691,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I don't think expanding the court was ever a serious proposal. The Green New Deal is basically just an outline and has no real details behind it, so I don't know why everyone gets so bent out of shape with it. It's been vastly misrepresented. On election reform, what would be objectionable? I think most Americans support M4A, so that wouldn't be radical. Student debt is a massive problem, so it has to be addressed to some degree, and college has to be made more affordable at the very least.
Many Democrats don’t support Medicare 4 all, canceling student loan debt, or the Green new deal, forget most Americans.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:21 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,039,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Lux Mea View Post
north idaho is nice...
At one time I wanted to move to the NorthWest. I would love to stay in the south but who knows. I will have a bachelors degree next June so I may apply for jobs all over the country and in Europe. Talk to the wife see what she wants and thinks. I know 1 of her best friends is moving to Florida and another's husband is being stationed to Oklahoma so I dunno.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:22 PM

20,135 posts, read 16,243,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
At 12:07 Eastern, David Perdue leads Ossoff by 1,888 votes with an estimated 73,000 left, with 20,000 in DeKalb. DeKalb, Fulton and Chatham are the 3 largest counties with remaining votes.

Decision Desk has already declared Warnock the winner, but no mainstream source has of yet.

It looks likely that Ossoff will pass Perdue when the remainder of the vote comes in from those three Blue counties, but there are potentially 17,000 votes from Americans Abroad (mostly military) that have until Friday to be received. Loeffler looks like a sure loser, but the military vote could still save Perdue and with him the Republican majority in the Senate.
Warnock has won. Just FYI, he does not like you white people. On the positive side, that is a two years seat. I look to see Perdue run for it in 2022.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:23 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,449,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
At one time I wanted to move to the NorthWest. I would love to stay in the south but who knows. I will have a bachelors degree next June so I may apply for jobs all over the country and in Europe. Talk to the wife see what she wants and thinks. I know 1 of her best friends is moving to Florida and another's husband is being stationed to Oklahoma so I dunno.
You're leaving Georgia because it's too left leaning but are open to moving to Europe? lolol

Old 01-05-2021, 10:24 PM

19,930 posts, read 22,865,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

Military vote is usually a 60/40 split leaning R. A lot of service members are non-white. It'll be interesting this Purdue/Ossoff race.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:27 PM

13,010 posts, read 22,191,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I’m not debating the merits of these issues and don’t disagree with your opinions on most of those items. But national opinion doesn’t matter as much as the opinion of the Senator’s constituency when items are presented to the Senate. If, for example, voting for student loan debt forgiveness is unpopular among his constituents in W. VA (where the percentage of residents with degrees is low), he won’t vote for it. And his one “Nay” vote would kill it given the 50/50 split. Same for something like election reform which may be popular nationally, but could take away some voting power from smaller, more rural states if adjustments are made to the electoral college - Manchin would be killed in W. VA for helping push that through.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:28 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,137,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Many Democrats don’t support Medicare 4 all, canceling student loan debt, or the Green new deal, forget most Americans.
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...dicare-for-all

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/st...203543149.html

So you're definitely wrong on those. The GND is not even a real plan, so we can't exactly gauge support for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections