Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,009,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
You are indeed correct flindras...he/she is clueless!! It's ridiculous. Denial is a state that only oneself can get out of.
It is he and try reading my post in this thread so you can then have a bit more informed comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 PM

437 posts, read 631,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
A year ago, I was thrilled. For the first time in my fairly long life, a woman was conducting a campaign to be nominated for the presidency of the United States! -- a smart, wealthy, well-connected woman. As a woman, I thought that was wonderful, and I felt proud of my country.

And by some months ago, certainly by a few months ago, I felt ashamed, appalled, sickened at the deceptions her campaign was practicing day after day, topic after topic...
Try being a Boomer! (Or maybe you are one.) A part of me says that women under 40 have a very good chance of seeing a woman president in their lifetimes. But us ol' folk? Hillary was it! The only real shot we ever had at me being able to say "Madam President" and not only did Hillary blow it, but she managed to nearly wreck the entire party for her ridiculous kamikaze Presidential mission.

Another part of me says that Hillary has run such a horrific campaign that she has made it extremely difficult to have another woman's Presidential bid taken seriously. People can say what they want about Jesse Jackson, but at least the country merely found him irrelevant. So Obama running 20 years later made a lot of us shrug our shoulders (myself included), but didn't fill us with utter disgust. Thirty years from now, Hillary's run will be studied in textbooks all through the nation. How you lose a nomination when all you had to do to get it was SHOW UP?

Still, I remain optimistic for women in the future. Hillary will be forgiven (eventually) because she's Hillary. I think the next woman will have a time even tougher than Barack is having now. Still, if we pick the right woman (my money is on Kathleen Sebelius; I'd LOVE to see her as Obama's running mate), she'll be able to overcome just as Barack did, and that'll make the victory that much sweeter. We Dems don't want any ol' woman in the White House.

Last edited by LauraKGrisgby; 05-07-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,841,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Did you notice how sad the (republicans) news anchors on FOX sounded? They know its over for Hillary and they wanted a Hillary/McCain match up because they know McCain will beat Hillary.
Not just Fox anchors, but all news anchors. They want Hillbilly to go on through the convention and cause a huge problem and fight. These scumbag journalists live for that. They would love nothing more than another Chicago (1968). They're sick.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Not just Fox anchors, but all news anchors. They want Hillbilly to go on through the convention and cause a huge problem and fight. These scumbag journalists live for that. They would love nothing more than another Chicago (1968). They're sick.
You obviously weren't watching MSNBC. Those folks were jubilant.

Ken

Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,099,218 times
LauraKGrisgby - I really, really want to someday see a woman president in my lifetime. In fact, I'd love to see one right this very moment. I really wanted to like Hillary Clinton and support her for the job, and I wavered quite a bit on that issue but ultimately had to be honest with myself and recognize that I could vote solely on gender (or ethnicity) and live with myself, and threw my hat in with Obama. I'd love to see Obama choose a woman for his running mate, and then perhaps she can run for president when his term is up. How's that for a nice pie-in-the-sky scenario. I think that it is a damn shame that the first time a serious female candidate made a bit for the white house it is ending up as it did, and honestly, I'm even sadder that I was not able fully (in good conscious) throw my hat in the ring with the woman who made this historic run, I would have loved to.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM

5 posts, read 4,950 times
chelsea knew the writing was on the wall when the First lady took her 16-year old daughter into sniper fire. SO much for judgment !!!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 5,449 times
Default Human History and Women

Looking back on human history being almost exclusively written and controlled by men, I find it strange that women don't unite in their support of Hillary and this opportunity to make a real historical change.

Think about it from a global perspective: Women and children in developing countries are now suffering from unprecedented rates of suicide and depression, and in China female suicides account for half of the world total suicide rates for women (58% by drinking pesticides). Hillary would be a role model for women everywhere, and coupled with Bill they are the team we need to guide us through the rough times of climate and industrial change ahead:

YouTube - Non-Zero Sum Solution

Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 4,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan77 View Post
Looking back on human history being almost exclusively written and controlled by men, I find it strange that women don't unite in their support of Hillary and this opportunity to make a real historical change.

Think about it from a global perspective: Women and children in developing countries are now suffering from unprecedented rates of suicide and depression, and in China female suicides account for half of the world total suicide rates for women (58% by drinking pesticides). Hillary would be a role model for women everywhere, and coupled with Bill they are the team we need to guide us through the rough times of climate and industrial change ahead:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnLosZVG54k]YouTube - Non-Zero Sum Solution[/url]
Are we talking about the HillBilly team that refused to send in troops to stop the Rwandan Genocide??
great role model

Old 05-07-2008, 05:05 PM

437 posts, read 631,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
LauraKGrisgby - I really, really want to someday see a woman president in my lifetime. In fact, I'd love to see one right this very moment.
If I could bring Ann Richards, Eleanor Roosevelt or Barbara Jordan back from the grave, sister...

Quote:
I'd love to see Obama choose a woman for his running mate, and then perhaps she can run for president when his term is up. How's that for a nice pie-in-the-sky scenario.
I think it's very doable! YES, WE CAN! Unfortunately, Barack will probably have to bring a white male on board in order to secure some badly needed working class white votes. Change is good and all, but c'mon now! Next thing you know, you girls will want equal pay for equal work!

Actually, I get the feeling that Bill Richardson is his first choice, and probably his best. John Edwards is probably second. But I see Sebelius being a very realistic second or third choice, and an Obama/Sebelius ticket would bring back us typical white women in droves. Richardson or Sebelius - either of them would make excellent vice-presidents. But just like with JFK, the Irish Catholic in me would have to go for Sebelius first. (My husband says I have a crush on her. I told him "I got a crush on Obama!")

Quote:
i think that it is a damn shame that the first time a serious female candidate made a bit for the white house it is ending up as it did, and honestly, I'm even sadder that I was not able fully (in good conscious) throw my hat in the ring with the woman who made this historic run, I would have loved to.
I still don't get how it came to this. When things get this bad, isn't it usually because an entire group of people screwed up royally, and not just one person? Had they both run clean campaigns and Hillary won (as nearly everyone suspected would happen), I don't think Obama voters would've had any problem supporting her. Hey, it's a primary. Somebody has to lose, right? But not only did Hillary's scorched earth campaign cost her the presidency, it cost her the VP nod as well, and possibly her Senator's seat come reelection time. Honestly, would you even vote for this woman as president of your child's PTA? Now Hillary's just hanging around waiting for someone to pay off her debts. Or maybe we'll get a picture of Barack with a hooker. Doesn't anyone know any of his old drug buddies? Did he fill in all the circles in a clockwise motion with a #2 pencil on his SATs? Does 2+2 still equal 4? Yes? Well, what's this about him being the father of some black babies? ANYTHING!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM

775 posts, read 580,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
LauraKGrisgby - I really, really want to someday see a woman president in my lifetime. In fact, I'd love to see one right this very moment. I really wanted to like Hillary Clinton and support her for the job, and I wavered quite a bit on that issue but ultimately had to be honest with myself and recognize that I could vote solely on gender (or ethnicity) and live with myself, and threw my hat in with Obama. I'd love to see Obama choose a woman for his running mate, and then perhaps she can run for president when his term is up. How's that for a nice pie-in-the-sky scenario. I think that it is a damn shame that the first time a serious female candidate made a bit for the white house it is ending up as it did, and honestly, I'm even sadder that I was not able fully (in good conscious) throw my hat in the ring with the woman who made this historic run, I would have loved to.
Honestly, it's not a woman - it's THIS woman. You have to believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections