Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 07:16 AM

690 posts, read 1,018,622 times

Advertisements

I just heard about this on FOX news this morning...
Could this be the straw that broke the camels back?

Judicial Watch Calls on FEC to Investigate Elton John’s Fundraising Concert on Behalf of Hillary Clinton’s Presidential Campaign

“Sir Elton John is not a citizen of the United States and is therefore prohibited from making any contribution to Senator Clinton’s presidential campaign.”

Judicial Watch Calls on FEC to Investigate Elton John̢۪s Fundraising Concert on Behalf of Hillary Clinton̢۪s Presidential Campaign | Judicial Watch (http://www.judicialwatch.org/judicial-watch-calls-fec-investigate-elton-john-s-fundraising-concert-behalf-hillary-clinton-s-presi - broken link)

FEC investigation urged over Elton John, Hillary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 07:29 AM

31,702 posts, read 41,187,301 times
Wow and double wow. I hope this doesn't raise any questions about their integrity?

Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,856,270 times
He will argue that he was merely a performer at the concert and that he did not personally make a contribution to the campaign. I am sure his lawyers and her lawyers hashed all this out before.
The law as written probably violates the Constitution's First Amendment when it comes to the "time and talent" thing. First Amendment rights apply to foreigners as well as US citizens on US soil and they have as much right to advocate for a candidate as any citizen does. It would even effect members of my family who, while not giving money- do sport Obama bumper stickers and have canvassed for him in South Carolina. That is a fundamental right of all Americans whether we are citizens or not.

Last edited by KevK; 05-10-2008 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-10-2008, 08:14 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,461,406 times
Judicial Watch is a RW group. That being said, I never have like Elton John and his peculiar brand of bubble gum music. I liked him even less after he, at the fund raiser, basically accused everyone that didn't support Hillary as being a misogynist. People like John and the Clintons seem to feel rules and regulations apply to everyone but them.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 AM

607 posts, read 925,724 times
As a member of the gay community I'm a little put off by Elton John's continuing support of Hillary Clinton, as well as the gay community at large. Are these not the same Clintons who threw the gays under the bus with DOMA and Don't ask, don't tell? However, this investigation is a joke - none of the money came from Elton John's pockets, how can they make the claim that he is providing this donation? If I pay to go to "Hillary Clinton Fundraiser Night feat. Elton John" I think I know where my money is going... BUT, if this is just a sneaky way to get around the $2,300/person rule, then sure, gut Hillary. Actually go ahead and do that anyway.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,652,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He will argue that he was merely a performer at the concert and that he did not personally make a contribution to the campaign. I am sure his lawyers and her lawyers hashed all this out before.
The law as written probably violates the Constitution's First Amendment when it comes to the "time and talent" thing. First Amendment rights apply to foreigners as well as US citizens on US soil and they have as much right to advocate for a candidate as any citizen does. It would even effect members of my family who, while not giving money- do sport Obama bumper stickers and have canvassed for him in South Carolina. That is a fundamental right of all Americans whether we are citizens or not.
Huh....You lost me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections