Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:38 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,374,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
As long as consumers are willing to pay for the increased cost, then so be it. The key is that businesses should be allowed to pass the cost on to consumers. There's nothing in Obama's plan which says you can't raise your prices, and you should be able to. Let the market sort it out.
Actually - the goal is to bring the cost of access to healthcare DOWN, and to make health insurance more affordable, and to have a way to assure that those who cannot afford health insurance can obtain it for little or, in some cases, no cost.

Not to increase costs - REDUCE them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,825,886 times
I work for a company that provides insurance for approximately 300 employees. Every year we have to go with a different insurance carrier because the previous years carrier has increased rates sometimes DOUBLING them. This years version is a high deductible policy.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:47 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,544,233 times
Quote:
Actually - the goal is to bring the cost of access to healthcare DOWN, and to make health insurance more affordable, and to have a way to assure that those who cannot afford health insurance can obtain it for little or, in some cases, no cost.

Not to increase costs - REDUCE them.
You are talking about two different animals here. The cost of healthcare will go down as more people participate in the insurance pool, but the cost of other things may go up as businesses pass on the cost of doing business to consumers. The net effect will be a wash or an increase in inflation perhaps, but that's the price to pay for making people healthier and less miserable.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
You are talking about two different animals here. The cost of healthcare will go down as more people participate in the insurance pool, but the cost of other things may go up as businesses pass on the cost of doing business to consumers. The net effect will be a wash or an increase in inflation perhaps, but that's the price to pay for making people healthier and less miserable.
No - if the cost of healthcare, and health insurance go down, the costs to the employers (those that offer health benefits - fewer are these days) will also go down. Therefore, the would not be the necessity of passing through higher costs to the ultimate consumer because of healthcare / health insurance

Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
... but that's the price to pay for making people healthier and less miserable.
Interesting you say the above.

We read a study where a significant number of those with fantastic health insurance - no or very low deductible, low or no copays, are actually the least likely to go see their doctor. They don't get annual physicals. They don't get suggested immunizations and so on.

AND, of the 40 Mil reported to be uninsured - a good 10 million of this number are illegal immigrants.

12 million (of the 40) are estimated that they CAN AFFORD health insurance (the 20 / 30 somethings) and have VOLUTARILY chosen not to get health insurance. They don't want it -

Old 05-11-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
No - if the cost of healthcare, and health insurance go down, the costs to the employers (those that offer health benefits - fewer are these days) will also go down. Therefore, the would not be the necessity of passing through higher costs to the ultimate consumer because of healthcare / health insurance
Hmmm....seems like you are contradicting yourself. At first you said that you opposed Obama's plan because it will cause the cost of business to go up. Now you are saying the cost of health care (and by extension, the cost of business) will actually go down? Okay, so let's clarify this: do you think Obama's plan will make health care costs go up or down?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
We read a study where a significant number of those with fantastic health insurance - no or very low deductible, low or no copays, are actually the least likely to go see their doctor. They don't get annual physicals. They don't get suggested immunizations and so on.
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying those with fantastic health insurance are just wasting their money coz they don't actually need them?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Hmmm....seems like you are contradicting yourself. At first you said that you opposed Obama's plan because it will cause the cost of business to go up. Now you are saying the cost of health care (and by extension, the cost of business) will actually go down? Okay, so let's clarify this: do you think Obama's plan will make health care costs go up or down?
If you had read all my posts, I noted in one about the committee I am on, working with the Congress - and the proposals that are being made, to the Congress, that would bring (in our opinion) health insurance / healthcare (not the same thing) costs down.

It has nothing to do with Obama's plan.

Obamas plan would, IMO, raise healthcare costs substantially and be inflationary in nature.

Re-read my previous post

Old 05-11-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying those with fantastic health insurance are just wasting their money coz they don't actually need them?
No - I'm saying that while you have a laudable goal of helping people be healthy by making sure they have health insurance, having health insurance is no guarantee that people will do what is necessary to be healthy.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
If you had read all my posts, I noted in one about the committee I am on, working with the Congress - and the proposals that are being made, to the Congress, that would bring (in our opinion) health insurance / healthcare (not the same thing) costs down.

It has nothing to do with Obama's plan.
Then you are in the wrong thread, since this thread is about Obama and Healthcare. May I ask you to stay on topic, or move to a different thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections