Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:28 PM

600 posts, read 1,085,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, I know some people CHOOSE to be poor. I know some people like that.

I just don't think you can ASSUME that someone CHOOSES to be poor without knowing HARDLY ANYTHING about them.

Who are you to make that call?

Regarding Obama paving his own path - yeah he did, but clearly he was raised RIGHT, otherwise he would probably not have done so.

Ken
ok, i thought you where trying to state that people dont choose to be poor.

BUT, not everyone that is successfull comes from a good family. Some people come from awfull families that push them to become successfull and overcome their past.

Im not saying anything about his mother, i dont know her, and your right, i cant pass judgement on her. But likewise, i dont think she should be an issue in his campaign. Everything he has done, he has done because he chose to do it. thats all that matters.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:31 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,394,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I guess to this woman, her life was not a success. She did finally go to grad school, but she also had two failed marriages and then had her life cut short by cancer. As a woman, I am sad for her that she never found a good man to spend her life with. And neither of her husbands sounded worth keeping.

As to Obama doing well.. well she left him in a good prep school and to be raised by her parents, so he was all set and not left without family support. However, she was a bad mother that basically abandoned him before he was finished growing up. My definition of a good parent would be sacrificing and putting off doing what they really want to do until their kids have finished growing up.
All the more reason to respect what Obama has done with his life.

Ken

Old 05-10-2008, 11:31 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,203,673 times
I thought Obama's grandparents raised him most of the time?

Old 05-10-2008, 11:33 PM

600 posts, read 1,085,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
All the more reason to respect what Obama has done with his life.

Ken
no doubt, i have plenty of respect for the man.
wont vote for him tho :/ but that doesnt mean i cant respect him.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:36 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,394,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I thought Obama's grandparents raised him most of the time?
Yeah, after he was about 10.

Ken

Old 05-10-2008, 11:46 PM

49 posts, read 95,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
In a stump speech, Michelle Obama was at it again, yammering about the unfairness of the country, she made reference
to Obama's mother wanting to "be someting special, even though she was only from a small town in Kansas"
what is wrong about being from a small town in Kansas??
This woman is going to be to Obama what John Kerry's lovely wife was for him!
Mrs. Kerry was such a wench and she helped sink her silly husband. Michelle Obama is a lot like her. She has no idea what she sounds like and they keep letting her talk.
The general election is going to be interesting indeed!!
Relax... It's just a woman thing!!

In the law of the jungle however, female Lions duties are basically to fetch food for the pride and take care of the young. The male Lions duties are primarily to sire and protect the pride.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:14 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,407,612 times
Barack Obama may have to have a little sit down with his wife and explain to her she isn't helping him and for the general campaign he's taking her off the campaign stump speeches. She comes off as an unlikeable and angry person. If he wants to win, he needs to reduce any negatives around him and only he can tell his wife this.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,132,874 times
I think what it really boils down to is that Georgia Dem needs a hug.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,595,496 times
boy some of you are overly sensitive! What did Michele Obama say that was so offensive? I wouldn't want to live in a small town either but hey that's just my preference. Seems some of you take offense to a opinianated women or would some of you prefer our first ladies turn out to be Stepford wives?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:16 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,125,312 times
I agree that Michelle Obama may be the broken spoke in the Obama wheel. She gives people the impression that she is arrogant and angry. She was very rude to the NC press during her 2 visits here and the story about her first visit here centered more on her huffiness and rudeness than her husband's candidacy. Local radio personalities did a parody of her visit that got more air time than her comments. During her second visit here she read most of her speech and seldom looked up or into the crowd. It was not well received.

Stanley Ann Dunham-Obama chose to be poor? I never thought of her as being poor despite her being a short term welfare recipient. The fact that she was a devotee of Marxist Communism does underscore her reluctance to achieve wealth. Like a lot of children, Stanley Ann constantly fell back on her parents in time of financial crisis.

I'm not so sure "CHOSE" to be poor is the correct verbiage. Perhaps she was incapable of supporting herself and her children.

To label her as a "poor little girl from Kansas" is incorrect. The Dunhams were not poor. They were middle class and both parents were gainfully employed. They moved to the west coast when Stanley Ann was 14. The reason for the move has been debated but regardless, Stanley Ann attended a high school that taught Marxist ideology. The Dunhams moved again to Hawaii when Stanley Ann was accepted at the University of Hawaii. The U of HI was a gathering place for "Fellow Travelers". The "Fellow Travelers" were Communists and Communist sympathizers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections