Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 AM

36,707 posts, read 67,806,508 times

Advertisements

Welcome back to the 1950s.

I really wish people would stop dancing around the 800-lb gorrilla sitting in the middle of the room.

Quote:
The Washington Post -- Obama's campaign workers often confront "raw racism:" "For all the hope and excitement (Barack) Obama's candidacy is generating, some of his field workers, phone-bank volunteers and campaign surrogates are encountering a raw racism and hostility that have gone largely unnoticed -- and unreported -- this election season. Doors have been slammed in their faces. They've been called racially derogatory names (including the white volunteers). And they've endured malicious rants and ugly stereotyping from people who can't fathom that the senator from Illinois could become the first African American president.
On Politics - Breaking News, Election 2008 & Presidential Candidates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,531,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I really wish people would stop dancing around the 800-lb gorrilla sitting in the middle of the room.

Yes the Washington post, such a beacon of truth and American journalism. I wish the Obama people would stop being so desperate. They seem to be just throwing a bunch of things at the wall trying to make something stick! By the way, the article talks about Obama people complaining of racism. That would be the pot calling the kettle black since alot of the Obama crowd (inc. a number of posters on here) are the most racist people I have ever encountered!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:44 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,424,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Yes the Washington post, such a beacon of truth and American journalism. I wish the Obama people would stop being so desperate. They seem to be just throwing a bunch of things at the wall trying to make something stick! By the way, the article talks about Obama people complaining of racism. That would be the pot calling the kettle black since alot of the Obama crowd (inc. a number of posters on here) are the most racist people I have ever encountered!
How many times has this been said about Clinton and McCain. We al need to realize this is politics for better or worse and try to refocus on the issues. The only way we'll ever get the candidates to takes us seriously is if we start asking serious questions.

Admit it: someone in this forum knows the women who asked that flag pin question! Someone does!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
This is the Hillary mantra as of late: Obama is an elitist who could never relate to hard working white people.

No racial undertones there.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:02 PM

2,284 posts, read 5,558,816 times
Quote:

While this is perhaps true, it's not much different than Harold Washington running for mayor of Chicago, or Tom Bradley running for mayor of Los Angeles. Or even voting rights workers back in the '60s.

There's always going to be a slice of the population who's deathly afraid of a changing face of power, and there will always be people who are sympathic to those bigots.

Our (White, Black, Brown, young and old) job is to keep our eyes on the prize, and never allow a few people's fears to change our course.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,840,297 times
Quote:

Would you expect anything else from the Republicans?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Our (White, Black, Brown, young and old) job is to keep our eyes on the prize, and never allow a few people's fears to change our course.
Excellent point.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM

152 posts, read 336,375 times
I read this article earlier this morning and it did not surprise me. I know that some people will never vote for Obama because he is black.

But what does surprise me are some people's automatic reactions to the possibility that Obama campaign workers face some racism; either some form of denial that it's true or its totally ignored.

Ironically, Obama's actual campaign does not want this to get a lot of press. It seems like they want to gloss over it, at least from the article said.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 8,527 times
Obama is on his way to the white house and we will have southern tea, collard greens, smothered pork chops and yams to celebrate...

Old 05-13-2008, 12:18 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,066,528 times
Quote:
Would you expect anything else from the Republicans?
Knock, knock Kev. Come out of that fantasy land you are living in. If I may remind you (and the rest of the Obamatons) it was the Clintons that started the race thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections