Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:18 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times

Advertisements

[quote=mimberly;3828247]Again big deal she had a win last week and after the next day it wasn';t even a story anymore. All we hear about now and we should is Obama and McCain. I thought what was interesting is that in exit polls in both states today they both said that people thought Obama would get the nomination. It will be a few more hours before the polls close in Oregon and that win will over shadow her's. Many people are wondering what Obama will say in his speech tonight, if he will claim victory. Again I hear that Bill Clinton is trashing their own party again about the Michigan and Florida thing. Why when you listen to McCain you feel like you want to fall asleep. His voice doesn't command and he sounds like a mouse and stumbles over his words.[/quote

well, to me is was a big deal
she did not "just win" she WON HUGE
she has gotten millions of votes because we that support her, feel
she would make the best pick as president.
our vote for her is just as valid and just as important as your vote for Obama.
part of the reason I get so turned off is comments like yours.
Only Obama is important, bull crap.
you might not think Hillary's supporters are not worthy, but come Nov
let's see about that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
John Kerry was sooooooooo sure he would be president
Al Gore was soooooooo sure he would be president
Obama thought sure that John Edwards would deliver him Ky
He is running around acting like he is president and flipping:
he says Iran in tiny and NO threat, two days later he says "Iran is a GRAVE threat"
good grief, which way is it??
he will loose the white house, when the GOP unites he will be history
thanks Obama

Old 05-21-2008, 07:38 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillaryduck View Post
It really really really isn't a big deal Sanrene. Do you really really think that KY is gonna go Blue in November. He will be the nominee and he will beat McCain in November like it or not.
I have no horse in this race to be honest but Obama wins states that are going to be red states,SC for instance.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
THat is two big wins . Obvama has no chance ti win qwithout teh suoer delegates. It also seems Obama can't win in big states or amonug the working class.His strength rae with teh youth vote and elitist of the party and blacks.
i agree. OBAMA NEEDS TO GET OUT NOW!!!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I have no horse in this race to be honest but Obama wins states that are going to be red states,SC for instance.
So how important is it for a democratic candidate to win states that are going to be blue anyway, for instance CA, MA, PA?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
So how important is it for a democratic candidate to win states that are going to be blue anyway, for instance CA, MA, PA?
Well that would matter I would think...

SO those of you on the left who are interested should perhaps tally up how many blue states each of your candidates have won...

As it stands now of the three I do not care which one wins,all are too similar in their views
Obama red state wins(that I know are red states..):

Alaska
Alabama
Georgia
Idaho
Louisiana
Mississippi
North Carolina
South Carolina
Texas
Utah

Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
Obama thought sure that John Edwards would deliver him Ky
Really? When all the polls showed clearly that Hillary had a huge lead?

You claim that Obama was so confident about winning Kentucky because of the Edwards endorsement that he didn't even bother to campaign there?

Are you serious?

Quote:
He is running around acting like he is president and flipping:
he says Iran in tiny and NO threat, two days later he says "Iran is a GRAVE threat"
good grief, which way is it??
he will loose the white house, when the GOP unites he will be history
thanks Obama
Let's wait until November before making bold statements, shall we...

It's over five months until the election and that's a very long time in a political campaign. Right now, all indicators point to an electoral disaster for the Republicans. But that could certainly change.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
From what I gather, Hillary's last-ditch hope in Kentucky was that turnout would be extremely high, and that she could therefore cut several hundred thousand votes off of Obama's national vote lead. This was inside the realm of possibility, since Kentucky has 1.63 million registered Democratic voters.

However, according to the Kentucky Secretary of State, (broken link)only 668,962 of those 1.63 million actually cast ballots. Which is to say, 41%.

So, Hillary won 459,093 compared to Barack's 209,869, for a gain of 249,224 votes.

However, due to a wider-than-expected win in Oregon (about 17% rather than 9-12% that polls anticipated), and due to somewhat higher voter turnout than Kentucky, Oregon's smaller Democratic delegation gave Obama a win by about 95,000 votes. That cuts Hillary's Kentucky gains down to slightly less than 155,000.

Kentucky appears to be the last state on the primary calendar that would be so overwhelmingly favorable to Hillary.

As a matter of math, what she really needed was 65-70% Democratic voter turnout in Kentucky, combined with her margin of victory. That would have given her a win margin of about 400,000 votes, which would only be reduced to 305,000 by Oregon.

So, if anything, Hillary should blame Kentucky's voter apathy for her current plight. They chose not to intervene in high-enough numbers to rescue her chances mathematically.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM

430 posts, read 1,175,039 times
I support Obama and I have from early on. I know many people don't. But... it is a fact that he is going to be the nominee. After reading the different posting everyone can go back and forth but he will be the nominee. If you are democrat I guess that you will need to decide if youy want another 4 years of Bush like ways or are you going to support Obama. I hear all this talk about Hillary supporters not voting for Obama. I think they will once she gets out and she then stands behind Obama as well. I don't like Hillary I don't like the Clinton's but I have nothing against a women running for president as I'm a women. I just don't think she is the right women. I looked at Obama saying his speech last night and what brought me to tears was the mix of women, different races coming together to support him. Him as a black man all I can say is don't you think it's time.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well that would matter I would think...

SO those of you on the left who are interested should perhaps tally up how many blue states each of your candidates have won...

As it stands now of the three I do not care which one wins,all are too similar in their views
Obama red state wins(that I know are red states..):

Alaska
Alabama
Georgia
Idaho
Louisiana
Mississippi
North Carolina
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
He has a shot at every one except TX, UT, AL, and AK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections