Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 02:37 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
How is the current system working for you? How do you think its working for most Americans?
The current system is working pretty well for me.
I received around $2,000 in federal tax rebates to tide me over when I was in quarantine, was given free inoculations from a deadly disease, my federal taxes were cut by around 30% in last year's legislation, American heavy industry is being revived and moving out of China, and my country is protecting me from nuclear war at the moment.

That's a lot of stuff that I ever got from the federal government before in such a short time.

I've always paid more that what I've received in the past, so the current system has been good for me so far.

There's plenty of trouble all around. All over the world. No nation and no nation's leaders can fix all the trouble that's here, but I think my country and my leaders are doing as good as they can.

And I would rather pay for the worst trouble we face with dollars instead of lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 05:33 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I like Rand Paul’s ideas, a lot of people do. But he isn’t very likable for some reason. He has no chance in 2024.
He’s very likable. Perhaps you just have the news people putting that in your head. I can’t think of a single thing he’s ever said that is offensive. He seems like a nice guy to me.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:43 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
My first choice is DeSantis, but if it is a race between Trump and any Democrat other than Gabbard, I would definitely consider voting for Paul if he runs as an Independent or Libertarian.
I like DeSantis too, and just the mention of his name got several rounds of applause at a big political event I was at recently so we are not alone. I dont know if DeSantis can resist the spending and DC influences though. I know Rand Paul can. I'll only vote for Trump if he wins the candidacy, but I wont vote for Trump in the Primaries. I didnt vote for Trump in the primaries the 1st time either because I was worried about his spending, and unfortunately I was right.

I think Americans are getting very close to accepting a 3rd party. I don't know what the name of it is, or would be, but fiscal conservatism, and anti-corruption, had better be 2 major parts of its platform. Using one of the already established parties would be the fastest path to take.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Only person who has ran in the last 2 elections that I'd vote for. His policies work and are Constitutional. It's always about policy.
It always supposed to be about policy, but policy seldom gets lost, and it becomes a popularity contest,or something else....like vote for this turd because that turd is worse.

If we do not elect the best possible people in November '22 and '24, our decline will hasten.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I love Rand Paul but if you think the Deep State hated Trump, imagine what they’d do with Rand Paul? I think they’d assassinate him if he got close to getting any of his agenda passed. This country obviously thrives on war. We can’t seem to keep out of the generational wars. A few years after the Cold War ended and all those bases closed and defense contractors laid off we managed to find another generational war, on terror this time. Now that’s over so next up Russia…again (God help us all).
I dont see Russia as a threat to us at all, I only see China.

You are right about the deep state though. They'd HATE Rand Paul because he would dismantle the federal gov't, starting with the fed. They probably would kill him, but who knows how Americans would respond to that. I feel a huge anti-government movement coming.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:54 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I like Rand Paul’s ideas, a lot of people do. But he isn’t very likable for some reason. He has no chance in 2024.
Ditto. He would not get nominated.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
He’s very likable. Perhaps you just have the news people putting that in your head. I can’t think of a single thing he’s ever said that is offensive. He seems like a nice guy to me.
Everyone in DC hates him, but that doesn't mean he's not a likeable man. They hate him because he wants to put an end to their gravy train. If he could get some strong like-minded people supporting him, he could turn it all around. Here's who I'd like to see on his team:

Trey Gowdy-clean up corruption
Darrell Issa-clean up corruption (yes, a former car theif)
Marsha Blackburn - suply chain czar
Kristi Noem - ag
Nikki Haley - foreign relations
Ron DeSantis - chief of staff
Ted Cruz - doj
Ben Carson - healthcare czar
Thomas Massie - budget czar
Mike Pompeo - defense
Larry Elder - media & tech clean-up czar
John Durham - clean up FBI, & DOJ
Gen Patreus - campaign finance clean-up

Old 03-26-2022, 07:38 AM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
My first choice is DeSantis, but if it is a race between Trump and any Democrat other than Gabbard, I would definitely consider voting for Paul if he runs as an Independent or Libertarian.
It'd be very expensive for him to campaign not in the R party, and he'd split the Republican vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I think Americans are getting very close to accepting a 3rd party. I don't know what the name of it is, or would be, but fiscal conservatism, and anti-corruption, had better be 2 major parts of its platform. Using one of the already established parties would be the fastest path to take.
The only way there'd be parity is if the Democrat party also split and you have 4 parties.

A - Party with Rand Paul. More fiscal conservative. No more NATO.
B - Existing R Party members (Mitch McConnell, Susan Collins to name a few)
-----
C - Existing D Party (Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Gavin Newsome to name a few)
D - Party with Tulsi Gabbard, maybe Andrew Yang

I'm not sure where Tea Party Republicans would go if between A&B.

A&B would be more alike each other, and C&D would be more alike each other.

But,
Parties B&C would be more pro war, or US as world police. The moderates/centrists will be in B&C.

Parties A&D would share characteristics would prefer scaling down military industrial complex, and Party D might be more pro 2nd amendment than C.

But Party D would be more Left in other ways, for higher government spending in certain social platforms (Medicare For All, etc).

Old 03-26-2022, 08:16 AM

Rand Paul would get most Tea Party votes by far. The Tea Party is for a much smaller Federal Gov't, & so is Paul.

I don't think the Dem party needs to split for a 3rd party to gain prominence. Centrist Dem & Indy voters just need to retake their party from the Uber-left, or they need to leave for a different party. While some will migrate to the Republican party, I think a 3rd party would better suit them.

A Centrist party based upon a balanced budget and paying down the debt would be very popular imho. Cutting every fed dept and program by equal %'s across the board (aka The Penny Plan) is the least contentious way to do so.

Rand Paul would fit into that role well. He leans Libertarian, & they tend to ignore social issues, & leave those up to other non-gov't groups to resolve....not the federal gov't. Rand would mostly focus upon shrinking spending, & the power & size of the federal gov't. I think he'd let the rest of the chips fall where they may....down to the state level.

I see Rand Paul as a guy who would drain the swamp, w/o alienating the American public, like Trump did.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:25 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
I loved how he stood up to fauchi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections