Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:25 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,023,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Face it, the shoe's on the other foot. Now it's McCain with the pastor problem.

Yea Ok because it is blowing up all over the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,235,714 times
Well I don't think for a moment that McCain holds these kinds of views that Hagee does. McCain seems rather moderate in his religious beliefs to be honest, although I may be wrong.

I realize that McCain needs to appeal to social conservatives which was the whole point of his seeking out Hagee in the first place. Matter of pragmatics or pander depending on how you look at it. Here nor there, Hagee's comments are rather radical and out of the mainstream for American Christians and represent a very small minority of the Christian population. Even still, McCain will need to at some point distance himself from Hagee because the mainstream Christians, Jews, Catholics, and most moderate people find this man extremely offensive.

So the question for me, is when. Does he hold out and risk alienating many mainstream folks or does he count on the rather extremist evangelicals to make up the lost votes?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:33 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,023,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I don't think for a moment that McCain holds these kinds of views that Hagee does. McCain seems rather moderate in his religious beliefs to be honest, although I may be wrong.

I realize that McCain needs to appeal to social conservatives which was the whole point of his seeking out Hagee in the first place. Matter of pragmatics or pander depending on how you look at it. Here nor there, Hagee's comments are rather radical and out of the mainstream for American Christians and represent a very small minority of the Christian population. Even still, McCain will need to at some point distance himself from Hagee because the mainstream Christians, Jews, Catholics, and most moderate people find this man extremely offensive.

So the question for me, is when. Does he hold out and risk alienating many mainstream folks or does he count on the rather extremist evangelicals to make up the lost votes?
Until their is more of a cry out then I doubt it will happen. It has not taken off like the Wright controversy. It might be because all the Obama supporters where saying that it Obama can't be held accountable for those remarks. How bad would it look it they brought this up?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Until their is more of a cry out then I doubt it will happen. It has not taken off like the Wright controversy. It might be because all the Obama supporters where saying that it Obama can't be held accountable for those remarks. How bad would it look it they brought this up?
Well truth be known, I think Hagee is a complete and utter kook-a-doodle-do. The guy is really out there and in my opinion he is more of a cult than a Christian but that matters not.

In fact it does not matter who brings it up, who mentions it, it is what it is and will be perceived differently by different folks. I don't think this has any real connection to McCain, nor did I think the whole Wright thing have anything to really do with Obama. These issues are those fluffy, juicy sensational pieces of nothing. However the bulk of people will carry on for the next few months as though they really do mean something. In the course of doing this they will miss all those tiny issues, you know... economy, issues of peace and war, energy needs, social security, health care, you know, the little things.

My reasons for this is to see the kind of reception this gets among the more evangelical types and how social conservative respond and react to whatever McCain will do, if he does anything. Since they seem to be the ones on the right that are most holding their noses when they pull that McCain level in the first place.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,626,492 times
When someone post a fact or proof that McCain has attended one of his churches, donated thousands per month, called him a hero, a mentor and a father like figure like the "other" one did, then we can discuss it, until then it is a non issue.

If you want to get into wars with who went after who to backing then your boy Obama will be the one with mud on his face.

Keep digging Obamakins, keep digging.

By the way, what happen all those years ago and in a foreign land has nothing to do with right now, today in America. He is entitled to his opinion. What we can and should not tolerate is anti Americanism like the "other" ones pastor spews.

When Hagee says GD America then we can talk.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
When Hagee says GD America then we can talk.
So then you are ok with the idea that Hitler was really acting on the will of God in order to herd the Jews into the new land of Israel then? Just as long as he doesn't say GD.

I think Ann Coulter has a warm spot on the bench you can occupy since you two seem to share the same sentiments.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,626,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
So then you are ok with the idea that Hitler was really acting on the will of God in order to herd the Jews into the new land of Israel then? Just as long as he doesn't say GD.

I think Ann Coulter has a warm spot on the bench you can occupy since you two seem to share the same sentiments.
I am not ok with that at all. But what I am not ok with is the facts of your posting, when he is in fact known to have been involved with this pastor and has went to him for advise and has attended his church, then and only then will I believe that what you state is his pastor. McCain has not that I know of personal said he has attended his services, ask for advise or has seeked his personal help with his beliefs.
I think what you are doing is comparing what Hagee has said and putting it with McCain to counter the fact that Obama and his pastor have been together for 20 years.
Countering with an attack towards McCain like this without factual background to counter what we all know is facts about Obama is ridiculous.
Sorry, I am not an Ann Coulter fan, but like the fact that she is a kick butt woman!
McCain owes us nothing until we find out the association he has with this man.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
I am not ok with that at all. But what I am not ok with is the facts of your posting, when he is in fact known to have been involved with this pastor and has went to him for advise and has attended his church, then and only then will I believe that what you state is his pastor. McCain has not that I know of personal said he has attended his services, ask for advise or has seeked his personal help with his beliefs.
I think what you are doing is comparing what Hagee has said and putting it with McCain to counter the fact that Obama and his pastor have been together for 20 years.
Countering with an attack towards McCain like this without factual background to counter what we all know is facts about Obama is ridiculous.
Sorry, I am not an Ann Coulter fan, but like the fact that she is a kick butt woman!
McCain owes us nothing until we find out the association he has with this man.
Well after looking at your posting history (and anyone can view another persons post history) the one thing I notice is that you seem rather obsessive about Obama as I think nearly every post you have here mentions Obama. Such is your right and you are free to do so. However this thread is not about Obama or Wright, it is about how McCain will manage the impact of the latest Hagee comments that have come to light. Now I realize you so badly want to change the subject and make this about Obama and Wright but that is not going to happen.

However I do welcome the response from the right as how they will digest this latest commentary.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:59 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,095,549 times
Maybe it is finally time to put the pastors out to pasture? If I actually thought that either of these pastors had any real influence there might be a story, but except for a minority of very devout people, most people are content to go to Church on Sunday and try their best to live a good life the rest of the week. Few of us are able to carry the full message of our faith, every day, in every way, because we live in a secular society. I have to imagine that since we have not heard of massive protests following any of Reverend Wright's sermons or people burning down Catholic or Jewish places of worship after Hagee's that the people in the pews are taking the words, processing them and then not acting on them at all.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:30 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,651,095 times
As I've said before, personally I could care less about the views of ones pastor. He can't sign a bill or right a check. However, I do think this will be an interesting debate because it exposes the objectivity of the electorate. The shoe now on the other foot so to speak.

The defense supported by the right - he didn't attend the church is akin to a child saying "he hit me first". Who cares, that never worked and neither will this.

The weight of this discussion is free will, and Senator McCain exerted free will in seeking out Mr. Hagee's endorsement, as well as pride in the man and his accomplishments, which in effect is an endorsement of his views to less discerning folks.

How will this play out? Dramatically - The US political system would have it no other way. For those of you who started to stand....you may wish to stay 'till the end of the credits...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections