Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM

524 posts, read 839,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Because we need an end to the fear and pitting of one group against another that has been the hallmark of this presidency!
The democrats are split down the middle right now. They have pit one group against itself. What was that quote about a house divided cannot stand?

Republicans are united, for the most part, behind a single candidate. Democrats are destroying their chances with all of the infighting.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:06 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Please do not cut off our noses to spite your face! We need every vote to ensure a democrat is in the whitehouse. These are manufactured differences and we will always be better off with the democrat than another republican. Please!
I'm not entirely certain this would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. If HRC wins by unethical means, I won't have such a great opinion of the Dem. party. Though I've almost always voted for the Democrat candidate for POTUS (but many times have voted for Republican candidates in other races), I haven't always. It's not that cut and dried for me.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:07 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
You might as well give up on the "if Clinton gets the nomination" meme. It's not going to happen. The super delegates are no longer undecided; they're simply undeclared (meaning that they have made their decision, they're just not saying until the last primary). And the media are simiarly giving her a chance to exit as she sees fit.

But make no mistake, there are no "ifs" about her candidacy any more.
I'm glad if that's all true.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM

524 posts, read 839,415 times
Originally Posted by backfist
You might as well give up on the "if Clinton gets the nomination" meme. It's not going to happen. The super delegates are no longer undecided; they're simply undeclared (meaning that they have made their decision, they're just not saying until the last primary). And the media are simiarly giving her a chance to exit as she sees fit.

But make no mistake, there are no "ifs" about her candidacy any more.

Ummmm, you must know something she doesn't. Please, educate us.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,087 times
I've come to a conclusion that perhaps Hillary supporters need the "video proffesor". It seems that all the things that they learned at school, that's if they went to school at all, just weren't able to stick in their heads.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:11 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Not on the Democratic side - in fact, judging by the primary turnouts, I suspect just the opposite is true.

For the Republicans - yeah, turnout could be a big problem.

Ken
Only time will tell obviously, but I think the primary turnouts may be misleading on both Dem and Rep side. On the Rep side, turnout was probably suppressed because the contest was decided before all the primaries were conducted. In addition many states like mine have open primaries which could mean that many of those voting in the Dem primary were Independents or Republicans who voted in the Dem primary because the Rep was already decided, but may/will not vote Dem in November. In addition many Dems have stated that they will not vote or will vote Rep in Nov if there candidate does not win the nomination. Also due to the extended Dem primary, Rep may have more incentive to vote once the final pairing is decided. Add to that the fact that the Rev Wright issue came out after many primaries had been conducted and that might act to increase Rep turnout. Only time will tell.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:27 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I don't think there will be low voter turnout...there may be record turnout with the Obama nuts showing up to vote for their "messiah," and everyone else showing up to make sure Obama doesn't get elected.
So this is the one, eh? The official line against Obama? A lot of the other stuff isn't sticking, so folks are going after his supporters for being too enthusiastic? I like Obama. He's the best available candidate, I think. He's not the Messiah or anything close. He's just a smart dude who I think will do the best job with the country of the three running. Most Obama supporters I know feel the same way. No need to put words in the mouth of supporters with the intent of discrediting their candidate.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:28 PM

532 posts, read 859,205 times
Thumbs down It could go either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Anyone think we could make this argument? I believe that come fall, we will see one of the, if not the lowest voter turnout in the history of presidential elections.
If there is a low turn-out, it will be because both parties are so much alike, that it makes no difference who wins. On the other hand, Dems may want to make sure they win. Repubs are so disatisfied with McCain that they don't know what to do. some of them may stay at home.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:02 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
He's the best available candidate, I think. He's not the Messiah or anything close. He's just a smart dude who I think will do the best job with the country of the three running. Most Obama supporters I know feel the same way. No need to put words in the mouth of supporters with the intent of discrediting their candidate.
Nicely said. I second that emotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections