Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2024 Republican Primary Who would you choose and why
Donald Trump 27 25.23%
Mike Pence 6 5.61%
Ron DeSantis 47 43.93%
Adam Kinzinger 13 12.15%
Ted Cruz 2 1.87%
Liz Cheney 12 11.21%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 06:56 AM

13,458 posts, read 4,292,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Random, crazy, and corrupt is no way to run a country...

that's why Biden and his sidekick have to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 10:41 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

That said, I will vote for the Republican most able to defeat Trump in the primary. We can have Trump’s policies without Trump.

Then why did no one else accomplish it until President Trump?

Old 06-05-2022, 02:27 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Trump brought some relatively new things to the table all in one package.

Name recognition and showmanship. People love to be associated with a celebrity and that opened the door for him.

An astounding ability to lie as he has no mental guardrails. He will lie about little insignificant things and really big things with the same aplomb. It comes as naturally to him as breathing.

The ability to treat the whole presidency as a reality show where he would write the script and everything would go accordingly. And when it didn't happen that way, to be able to convince a certain segment of the population that it always had to be the fault of someone else; never his.

And probably most important, he was able to tap into the fear and anger of a segment of the population and convince them that he, and only he, could be their savior. He pretty much followed the playbook for so many others throughout history who ascended in times of unrest.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:36 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Because he OWNS the swamp and has everybody in his back pocket. He rambled on calling them all stupid in the primary's and then they all sucked up to him when he was elected.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Trump brought some relatively new things to the table all in one package.

Name recognition and showmanship. People love to be associated with a celebrity and that opened the door for him.

An astounding ability to lie as he has no mental guardrails. He will lie about little insignificant things and really big things with the same aplomb. It comes as naturally to him as breathing.

The ability to treat the whole presidency as a reality show where he would write the script and everything would go accordingly. And when it didn't happen that way, to be able to convince a certain segment of the population that it always had to be the fault of someone else; never his.

And probably most important, he was able to tap into the fear and anger of a segment of the population and convince them that he, and only he, could be their savior. He pretty much followed the playbook for so many others throughout history who ascended in times of unrest.

Old 06-05-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post

What are you talking about? Trump didn't put the flag on the moon in how to win as a challenger. That's the blue print for any politician wanting to win power as a challenger . FDR did it, JFK, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bubba Clinton did it, both Bushes did it and Obama. You tell the crowd how bad the administration has done and who to blame and offer them hope but the catch is they have to vote for you.

You think these people won as challengers without riding the fear and anger population? well duh! A challenger doesn't win an election by telling the country how great things are. Democrats have been doing it for the black vote. "whites (not us, them) are screwing you and fear them but vote for us, We will protect you"o

Why the hypocrisy and double standards on Trump? Obama ran that McCain would start WW 3 and he would end the wars. What do you call that? You think he ran telling the nation that Bush did great and McCain will be a great President?

W Bush ran as a passionate conservative than turns around and invades the wrong country and totally destroys Kerry's character in 2004 and ran on fear. LOL. You can't make American politics up. When Trump came to politics he didn't do anything new that hasn't been done before.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 06-05-2022 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-07-2022, 09:28 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Silly post and far from reality. Every Republican President once office will get constantly attacked with controversies and with craziness. Democrats with the media will attack whoever is the GOP President. If they made Judge Kavanaugh into a serial rapist since High School with NO evidence for a hearing imagine what they would do to Desantis for 1 full term.

To pretend Democrats will allow a Republican President to have a normal presidency and respect them is on crack.
Trump and DeSantis may both appear to champion conservative policy and values, but they have little in common at a personal level, which will greatly impact the type of attacks they receive.

DeSantis is a far more serious and methodical politician who has no significant personal controversies. He is aggressive and highly partisan on many issues that resonate with both sides. Even those of us who may dislike his policies perceive him as intelligent and accomplished, and dedicated to his family. The same was not true of # 45 long before anyone conceived of him becoming a politician, let alone a Republican.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Trump and DeSantis may both appear to champion conservative policy and values, but they have little in common at a personal level, which will greatly impact the type of attacks they receive.

DeSantis is a far more serious and methodical politician who has no significant personal controversies. He is aggressive and highly partisan on many issues that resonate with both sides. Even those of us who may dislike his policies perceive him as intelligent and accomplished, and dedicated to his family. The same was not true of # 45 long before anyone conceived of him becoming a politician, let alone a Republican.

If you are attacking a person be specific not what you read or because you don't like their tweets or combs their hair or their policies. How do you know that Trump is not dedicated to his family? Because he got a divorce? you talked to any of the family members. You know something that they don't know?

Since I don't know them on a personal level, it would be silly of me judging a person. I go by policies that affects everyday people and how he fights to push those values. That's why Trump is popular with the base. They are not voting for the Pope or a Mormon prophet. They tried before and they got buyer's remorse.

Example: Having affairs in a marriage is something between 2 adults or in this case 3 adults. That doesn't concern me. Affairs out of office is not a conservative or liberal thing unless it affects the job in the W.H. which I believe they have to resign something the Clintons never did and the Democrats defended to the core. I guess country before party is selective for them.

Reagan, HW Bush and W Bush were all nice people on t.v. (I'm assuming) but I have a bigger issue with selling arms to terrorists, running cocaine to fund an illegal war, and pardoned people to close the investigation or start wars and military debacles than if Trump was mean or he slept with women before he got to the W.H. or that Trump said means things to Rosie O'Donnell or his campaign style.

Trump is intelligent just not your typical politician. How can 1 outsider with less money win a 17 candidate primary and win it easily and them wins 30 states in the general against the heavy favorite when the establishment was against him and he almost pulled it off for re-election and still has command of the base of the party while the establishment banned him from social media and are doing everything in their power including throwing the kitchen sink at him to deny him to run again? Sorry, DeSantis can never do that and nothing against him. Trump did all that by killing the Bush dynasty in the party and made the Neo Cons a minority of the party. If that's not intelligence and good moves, then I don't know what is.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:23 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Thanks for your explanation of where you stand.

I lean towards Adam Kinzinger over everyone else, I think Trump is old republic and that ship has sailed he will have his place in history, everyone else is eligible. I made this poll to keep it realistic and include everyone that might be reasonably eligible for a run.
I agree, but Trumpism still rules the Republican Party.
If it continues to rule, then DeSantis would be the most likely to get the nomination.

But Kinzinger, in his opposition to Trump, has increased his favorability among all the voters who want a conservative in the White House who isn't a Trumper.

That could include a lot of the independents who voted for Trump once, and won't again, and voted for Biden once, but won't again.

That bunch is a growing voting demographic force that's being overlooked.
They're overlooked because they're the silent ones these days.

I don't know if they're a majority or not, like the old phrase.
But, for a fact, Trump's influence is fading, and so has Biden's popularity. Kinzinger has more of the right stuff for them than anyone else in either party, I think.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I agree, but Trumpism still rules the Republican Party.
If it continues to rule, then DeSantis would be the most likely to get the nomination.

But Kinzinger, in his opposition to Trump, has increased his favorability among all the voters who want a conservative in the White House who isn't a Trumper.

That could include a lot of the independents who voted for Trump once, and won't again, and voted for Biden once, but won't again.

That bunch is a growing voting demographic force that's being overlooked.
They're overlooked because they're the silent ones these days.

I don't know if they're a majority or not, like the old phrase.
But, for a fact, Trump's influence is fading, and so has Biden's popularity. Kinzinger has more of the right stuff for them than anyone else in either party, I think.
The more information that comes to light and the conduct of his family behind doors shows why we have Nepotism Laws in government that Trump ignored.

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse 2024 is going to be a disaster unless Trump is held accountable for what he has done. His ex-wife falling down the stairs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections