Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 09:02 PM

900 posts, read 375,717 times

Advertisements

Why do Republicans and their supporters dream of ruling California again? You don't keep saying California is liberal garbage awake and blah blah blah....

wake up! your conservative ideology don't fly here, less immigrants and less taxes won't make you buy the house of your dreams in the golden state.... Living in California is not for those who want it is for those who can.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:09 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I gave up voting in CA. The last time I voted, I turned in the ballot at the local library at 11:00AM and the results were announced on the news at 5PM. There was no way they could have counted my vote between 11AM and 5PM. My conclusion is they already picked the winners and disregarded votes that came in later.
Nope, it doesn't happen that way. And you can go to the Secretary of State website and track your ballot, find out when it was collected and when it was counted.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
This is why I've said that we need a system of voting that allows each voter to confirm their vote was counted. A way to see an image of your ballot and at what NUMBER in the count it was added. For example if there were 102359 votes counted for candidate X, what number was YOUR ballot counted at? You should know. NOT ONLY THAT, but you should SEE the counting take place and know for sure your ballot was counted.
You can confirm your vote in California https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov/en/Details

Old 06-19-2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
If you think voting isn't worth the time, then you shouldn't be voting anyway. Voting used to be citizens making decisions that, right or wrong, they felt were good for the nation. Now voting a team sport where partisans throw their allegiance behind a team and hope they get a payoff of some sort like "relief" checks.
Voting should be hard, inconvenient, require IQ testing, photo ID, and proof you are supporting yourself. If you can't hold a job, support yourself and follow the law, you have no business voting. Conflicts of interest like welfare recipients, drug dependents and criminals voting are a major part of the problems in the United States today.
Voting needs to be hard to do, not easy. I don't want people looking for the easy way setting the policies of the nation. I want people willing to go the extra mile for the country, not looking for the extra handout from the country, voting.
In other words, you want fewer people to vote, right?

Old 06-19-2022, 11:44 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I gave up voting in CA. The last time I voted, I turned in the ballot at the local library at 11:00AM and the results were announced on the news at 5PM. There was no way they could have counted my vote between 11AM and 5PM. My conclusion is they already picked the winners and disregarded votes that came in later.
I hate to ruin a good story, but no official vote counts are announced in CA until AFTER the polls close at 8PM. It would be impossible to hear results at 5PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Please give a reference to the election law change, and your explanation.
Ballot harvesting. It allows a 3rd party, not related to the voter, to handle and return ballots. This was illegal in CA prior to 2018, and for good reason.

Democrat activists in Orange County CA dropped off 250,000 harvested ballots on election day 2018. Those votes swung several elections to the Democrats in formerly GOP seats. The GOP won a couple back in 2020, and may win back more this year, but this year is additionally effected by redistricting.

Harvesting Democratic Votes

Quote:
Counts are reported all day long.
Not in CA. There are no official counts announced until the polls close at 8PM and I think all news media outlets do not make any announcements/projections before the polls close.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:33 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Voting should be hard, inconvenient, require IQ testing, photo ID, and proof you are supporting yourself. If you can't hold a job, support yourself and follow the law, you have no business voting. Conflicts of interest like welfare recipients, drug dependents and criminals voting are a major part of the problems in the United States today.

Says who? You?

Did you just make this up, or did you read that in the constitution?
I would assume anybody with common sense. Why should people who are not willing to put the effort into getting to the polls be allowed to vote? Why should criminals be allowed to vote? Why should illegals be allowed to vote? Why should the chronic welfare recipients with no intention of ever working be allowed to vote?

I want the decisions made by hard working, tax paying, and law abiding people who value the right to vote enough to get off their butt and go do it in person. As to the The Constitution of the United States, don't throw it up to me unless you are 100% in favor of the 2nd Amendment. Liberals love to pick and choose.
Your entire post is built upon false premises.

Clearly you have not read the constitution and you are just flailing here. Illegals don't vote, and the provisions regarding ex-felons voting is set by the various states.

I, for one, would prefer if all of those SOB's who stormed the capitol building January 6th were never allowed to vote again, but that is actually determined by their states.

I am in favor of the 2nd Amendment the way it was written, for a well-regulated militia.

Don't throw the 2nd Amendment to me unless you are 100% in favor of regulating.

Quote:
They are always talking democracy, which the United States is not. And The Constitution of the United States until they don't like what it says. Then they want it redefined even if it means packing the courts.
The USA is most certainly a democracy.

Republics and democracies are not mutually opposed concepts. It is the ideal combination.

This is how the Democrats got their name.

In the early days there were a lot of uber conservative monarchists, and there were republicans who did not believe in inherited power, but the selection of leadership by the people. Of course, many believed that the selection should be limited to those who had wealth and power, not to the riff-raff like farmers and warehousemen.

The followers of Thomas Jefferson were known as the democratic-republicans, because they believed in universal suffrage and worked toward that end. That's what we have today, but you would take us backward to a simpler time when women were confined to the kitchen stove and working men were confined to the fields and factories. It hasn't been that way for a long time, we are a democracy, and all the better for it.

Last edited by Hesychios; 06-20-2022 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: spelling and grammar

Old 06-20-2022, 04:57 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,837,430 times
So elections are only legit if a Republican wins?

Old 06-20-2022, 07:59 PM

1,139 posts, read 449,413 times
Quote:
Your entire post is built upon false premises.

Clearly you have not read the constitution and you are just flailing here. Illegals don't vote, and the provisions regarding ex-felons voting is set by the various states.

I didn't say they did or didn't vote. I asked why should they be allowed to, and apparently you agree they shouldn't be, which is exactly why proving citizenship with photo ID is a good thing.

I, for one, would prefer if all of those SOB's who stormed the capitol building January 6th were never allowed to vote again, but that is actually determined by their states.

The 4hr protest on Jan 6th was minor, and mostly peaceful. Compared to the massive rioting democrats supported over felons like george floyd and the gentle giant mike brown Jan 6th was a festival of love. The only one killed in that riot was an unarmed female veteran, who the libs have completely forgot about. I am sick of hearing about Jan 6th and would prefer to focus on the fiasco brought on by the election.

I am in favor of the 2nd Amendment the way it was written, for a well-regulated militia.

Don't throw the 2nd Amendment to me unless you are 100% in favor of regulating.

The reason for the right is often cited, but the reason and the right are different. The right to keep and bear arms is what is not to be infringed. Their reason may or may not be outdated, but the right is absolute. The right is there not for hunting, not for sports, not for even home defense. It is there to allow us some form of protection from the abuses of government.

The USA is most certainly a democracy.

No it isn't. There are some democratic processes in the USA, but it is a representative republic, and set up that way on purpose to avoid the steamrolling of small and sparsely populated states by large and heavily populated ones. This is why the Senate has two members per state, and the House has a number based on the Census. This system is also used for Electoral voting to attempt to equalize things between the less populated states and the more populated ones. You're wrong, and I am glad we are not a democracy. I would not want the ignorant buffoons of New York and California setting policy for the entire nation. The fools there have done enough damage as it is.
My responses in bold.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Exactly. I mean this is how a seven-year-old thinks.

Republican wins: "I win! I'm the best."
Republican loses: "You won? No fair, you cheated!"

Old 06-20-2022, 08:28 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
No, elections are legit when an engaged, informed citizenry votes. Voting should take some engagement and effort from citizens. Follow these steps.

First California registers people to vote EVEN IF THEY DON'T WANT TO REGISTER.

People in CA are registered when they get a state drivers license or state ID. Bear in mind that ANYONE in CA can get a drivers license or state ID, even an ILLEGAL alien. (before you ask, yes, illegal aliens have been illegally registered to vote ans yes, some have voted illegally)

Step two, California passes a state law to allow anyone to collect ballots from voters. In the past this was illegal due to the potential for fraud and improper influence.

Step three, California passes a state law to mail ballots to EVERYONE on the state registration, even though they know the state registrar is hopelessly corrupted. LA County ALONE was forced to purge, 1,500,000 voters off the rolls (as required by law) in 2019. What would happened in 2020 to those 1.5 MILLION ballots that would have gone to ineligible voters?

Again, there should be some effort involved in voting. Those who care will register, go vote or request an absentee ballot. There should not be ballots floating around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections