Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:10 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times

Advertisements

Some people seem to be insulted by the term "Obamakins" and "Obamaton". Am I missing something? Is there some sort of an acronym or a slang reference?

Because I think Obamakins is cute. Sort of like saying we're part of a big family (the "kin" of Obama"). I'm not that keen on "Obama Fan" because it's awkward sounding and sounds like a term for a movie star, not a politician. And let's face it "Obama Supporter" just sounds so stiff and stuffy.

Or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 02:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Some people seem to be insulted by the term "Obamakins" and "Obamaton". Am I missing something? Is there some sort of an acronym or a slang reference?

Because I think Obamakins is cute. Sort of like saying we're part of a big family (the "kin" of Obama"). I'm not that keen on "Obama Fan" because it's awkward sounding and sounds like a term for a movie star, not a politician. And let's face it "Obama Supporter" just sounds so stiff and stuffy.

LOL I'm not insulted by it at all, just was looking for a definition. I like yours about the kin of Obama - you know all us black folk are related anyway

I know. I shouldn't be making racial jokes but you know somebody was thinking it

Old 05-23-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOL I'm not insulted by it at all, just was looking for a definition. I like yours about the kin of Obama - you know all us black folk are related anyway

I know. I shouldn't be making racial jokes but you know somebody was thinking it
LOL--you know a clever pr guy could run with this idea.

I can see the ad campaign now. In the background, you'd hear "We Are Family" by Sister Sledge. You'd see images of all different types of voters, all different races, all working together for Obama.

The slogan's a little trickier. Maybe:

"Let's put aside our differences, we're all part of the Obama kin."

Or maybe "Barack Obama, it's all about kin, not skin."

Old 05-23-2008, 02:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
LOL--you know a clever pr guy could run with this idea.

I can see the ad campaign now. In the background, you'd hear "We Are Family" by Sister Sledge. You'd see images of all different types of voters, all different races, all working together for Obama.

The slogan's a little trickier. Maybe:

"Let's put aside our differences, we're all part of the Obama kin."

Or maybe "Barack Obama, it's all about kin, not skin."
They wouldn't play Sister Sledge, they'd play "Family Reunion" by the O'Jays.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,699 times
Quote:

Not I'm not insulted, I understand they are envious. We as a group are well educated, open minded, well versed on the issues, and have a quality to our being which allows us to support such a man as Obama. In short, we get it, they don't.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:48 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,136 times
It's not uncommon for a group of people to come up with a name to insult people who they feel are superior to them: look at all the things they call black people

Old 05-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
We as a group are well educated, open minded, well versed on the issues, and have a quality to our being which allows us to support such a man as Obama. In short, we get it, they don't.
Hmmm, considering the dictionary definition maybe we should change it to ObamaKEN!

ken: noun
1. knowledge, understanding, or cognizance; mental perception: an idea beyond one's ken.
2. range of sight or vision.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:02 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,724 times
I googled it, an Obamakin is actually a sort of stuffed toy in the likeness of Barack Obama. maybe natalay could send one to her friend who likes to drive by welfare offices is her shiny SUV

Old 05-23-2008, 05:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
It's just one more way to keep the flock - those who get energized by the likes of Rush and Sean and whoever came up with "egghead" for Adlai Stevenson - in the schoolyard where theyre comfortable, not in the library where they feel out of place. I wonder who came up with it and how it spread...'s innaresting.

I like "Obamakins" too, I like fluffy cuddly. "Obamaton" - haha, a contributor to the extremely vivid Urban Dictionary dot com gives as an example of correct usage "Oh my G-d, **** about HOPE and CHANGE, you freaking Obamaton!"

Love it.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:39 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Not I'm not insulted, I understand they are envious. We as a group are well educated, open minded, well versed on the issues, and have a quality to our being which allows us to support such a man as Obama. In short, we get it, they don't.
I'm a Texan. Outside of Austin, we think people like y'all are a bunch of lightweights who can talk a good game but couldn't survive if times get tough. All hat, no cattle.

Envious? Nope. Unfortunately, the West Coast latte-lovers are the ones moving to Texas in droves for our reasonable cost of living and fiscal responsibility. I think we need to round them up and send them back. Make 'em live in what they created and, for God's sake, don't let them take over D.C.! At the very least, they should be confined to Austin city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections