Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:59 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times

Advertisements

I have some questions about Employee Retirement Accounts, anybody with the answer, please reply!
1. Are the Employee Accounts going to replace Social Security? Are they an alternative to 401K? Are these accounts going to be managed by employers themselves or some government entity?

I like the bankruptcy change a lot. The Health Care problem touches so many aspects of our lives.
Quote:
Obama said he would reverse recent changes in the nation's bankruptcy laws that he said favored credit card companies over consumers, giving new protections for those who go into debt for medical expenses.

Under Obama's plan, people who demonstrate they went bankrupt because of medical expenses could get back on their feet with help from the government.

"I don't accept an America where we let someone go over a cliff just because they get sick," he said.

Obama said his credit card bill of rights would ban unilateral changes to a credit card agreement, prohibit changes in interest rates in debt already incurred and ban interest on late fees. Such changes would ensure Americans paid what they owed but would ensure a fair process, he said.
As far as this,
Quote:
In his speech, Obama said much of his effort toward ending income inequity was tied to expanding access to higher education.

"That's the best investment we can make in our future," said Obama. "I'll create a new and fully refundable tax credit worth $4,000 for tuition and fees every year, which will cover two-thirds of the cost of the tuition at the average public college or university."

In addition, Obama said he would expand programs for community colleges, with programs helping those schools line up programs for local industries and rewarding schools with high graduation rates.
What about vocational training? Many people choose not to go to college but still are quite productive and they have meaningful careers in other fields. Can we provide tax incentives for them as well?

Sioux City Journal: Obama calls for bankruptcy overhaul, offers tuition plan (http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/11/08/news/iowa/1d54e6ac96eb6c2a8625738d000ec3a5.txt - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 11:47 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,364,565 times
I don't know the answer to your questions.

You made a REALLY interesting post though and they sound like pretty intriguing ideas - as Obama's often are.

I'd be curious to learn more myself.

I'd give you a point but I can't right now.

Ken

Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,189,518 times
That bankruptcy thing he wants -- I find that interesting.

So I go out and spend tons and tons of money that I can't repay -- then I go out and get a bunch of plastic surgery I can't afford (like a boob job, a face lift), then I go and declare bankruptcy -- and Obama is going to let me off?!! Woohoo! Sign me up for plastic surgery!! I can look 20 again!!

I love it!!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:11 AM

Medical bills are the leading cause of bankruptcy in the US - and MOST of those folks HAD medical insurence. The problem is, since the medical insurence is tied to their jobs, once they got too sick to work, the medical insurance goes away (once the COBRA expires) - or often doesn't provide enough coverage of the catastrophic cost to prevent the folks from being driven into bankruptcy.

And this can happen to ANYONE - including YOU.

Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy, Harvard Study Finds

Ken

Old 05-25-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I don't know the answer to your questions.

You made a REALLY interesting post though and they sound like pretty intriguing ideas - as Obama's often are.

I'd be curious to learn more myself.

I'd give you a point but I can't right now.

Ken
Why Thanks!

The Health Care Issue is among the 3 biggest issues to me. Iraq and The Economy are the other 2.

1. Why is medication so expensive in this country? Its immoral that busloads of senior citizens, people who've dedicated their lives to building this country, should now be forced to go to either Canada or Mexico to get affordable meds. I cant stand that.

2. Why is medical treatment so expensive? I once read that hospitals charge consumers paying out of pocket nearly twice as much as they charge insurers for surgeries and other procedures? Why?

3. What answer aside for Nationalized Health Care would solve all of these issues? I cant think of any solution as comprehensive and all endcompassing.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
That bankruptcy thing he wants -- I find that interesting.

So I go out and spend tons and tons of money that I can't repay -- then I go out and get a bunch of plastic surgery I can't afford (like a boob job, a face lift), then I go and declare bankruptcy -- and Obama is going to let me off?!! Woohoo! Sign me up for plastic surgery!! I can look 20 again!!

I love it!!
That's easy. Just add a provision that excludes any cosmetic surgery that isnt part of facial or body reconstruction as a result of an accident, disease or natural deformity.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 05-25-2008 at 01:35 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 01:33 AM

Yeah Health Care is a HUGE problem. The American health care industry does a good job of treating MOST people, but the costs are rising incredibly fast. Unfortunately a lot of people (including MANY on this board) have their heads buried in the sand on this issue. They seem to think that because THEY have good health care at the moment (usually through work) they seem to think they have nothing to worry about personally. The problem is, they DO, they just haven't realized it yet.

For one thing, health care costs are rising so fast, that more and more companies are cutting back on coverage, and many are trying desparately to find a way out of providing coverage AT ALL. Those companies that have not yet brought it up to their employees, almost certainly WILL at some point - for the simple reason that it's becoming unaffordable for them to NOT consider that option. Futhermore, more and more companies are starting to renege on promises to provide such coverage to their retirees - and it would likely surprise most people that it's ENTIRELY LEGAL for them to do so (even if they'd promised to provide that to current or past employees as a retirement benefit).

The truth is, at the rate current costs are rising, it's a simple fact that the current system CANNOT continue much longer.

The other interesting thing to note is that back when Hillary was first proposing her health care plan (during Bill's administration) Health Care costs mysteriously leveled off - only to start shooting back up again when the "threat" of a "socialized" health care system had gone away.

Take a look here:
http://angrybear.blogspot.com/hins1.jpg

Hmmmm....

Ken

Old 05-25-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's easy. Just add a provision that excludes any cosmetic surgery that isnt part of facial or body reconstruction as a result of an accident or disease.
Indeed.

Ken

Old 05-25-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The other interesting thing to note is that back when Hillary was first proposing her health care plan (during Bill's administration) Health Care costs mysteriously leveled off - only to start shooting back up again when the "threat" of a "socialized" health care system had gone away.

Take a look here:
http://angrybear.blogspot.com/hins1.jpg

Hmmmm....

Ken
Very telling graph. It seems that collusion to manipulate prices is a huge problem across the board in so many vital industries.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:44 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,189,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's easy. Just add a provision that excludes any cosmetic surgery that isnt part of facial or body reconstruction as a result of an accident, disease or natural deformity.
Ha! You are kidding, aren't you? All plasitic surgery is a result of accident, disease or natural deformity. Are your breasts too big? Natural deformity. Are they too small? Natural deformity.

If your previous surgeon did a bad job -- then the next surgery would be due to "accident."

In Los Angeles, lots of plastic surgery is considered to be "work related" since it has to do with your ability to keep a job.

I only hope they include Dental in all of this. After all, in Los Angeles, you need to have perfect teeth to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections