Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,053,291 times

Advertisements

well,...

I don't know but I think he's saying that even if she doesn't get the candidacy, she's not lost any credibility. She has at least 1/2 of the popular, national vote of the entire Democratic party - which earns respect of her party - and that makes her a force to be reckoned with in the Senate.

Only small-minded, mean people who are revelling in some new found sense of power would be wallowing in the idea that she might have problems with her home state because of the mud slinging that's been done in this primary...

It really doesn't matter how classy Obama appears, his supporters are another breed !

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-27-2008 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,071,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
well,...

I don't know but I think he's saying that even if she doesn't get the candidacy, she's not lost credibility. She has at least 1/2 of the popular national vote of her party - which earns her the respect of her party - and that makes her a force to be reckoned with in the Senate.

Only small-minded, mean people who are revelling in some new found sense of power would be wallowing in the idea that she might have problems with her home state because of the mud slinging that's been done in this primary...

It really doesn't matter how classy Obama is, his supporters are another breed !

A force to be reckoned with in the Senate? CBS news online has an interesting analysis of that. Yes she will have increased clout and will be a force but she is still a junior senator in seniority with a number of folks ahead of her and Harry Reid having solidified power.

She obviously has choices and will be interesting what she does. The article is an interesting read:

With or without a prominent post, Clinton will possess unrivaled clout, her colleagues said. "She is the single most powerful woman in America, and that will be solidified by this race, not diminished by it," said Biden, who has not endorsed a candidate after dropping his own bid earlier this year.

Regardless of which route she now chooses, colleagues who have run failed campaigns said she must first readjust to life in the Senate.

"When you're out on the campaign, you've got to make decisions every hour, every minute," said Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa). "Then you come back to the Senate and

What's Next For Clinton?, Washington Post: If She Loses Nomination, There Is No Clear Map For Her Political Future - CBS News (broken link)

Then the New York folks mentioned in the artlcle are mean spirited and single minded because their constituents are upset. Or are we who post mean spirited because we give folks articles to read instead of just flinging opinions?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 PM

It's interesting the double standard that's demonstrated here...

Mr. Obama and his supporters have crucified Ms. Clinton but they feel she's not been nice... every "wrong word" spoken is being held against her...

that's where we're at

Old 05-27-2008, 01:35 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times
Quote:
every "wrong word" spoken is being held against her...

that's where we're at
"Assassination" isn't merely a wrong word. It's a loaded word. It's not a mere slip of the tongue, it's a Freudian slip.

Any politician needs to be held accountable for using language like that. So you're right, that's where we're at.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 PM

Default oh please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
"Assassination" isn't merely a wrong word. It's a loaded word. It's not a mere slip of the tongue, it's a Freudian slip.

Any politician needs to be held accountable for using language like that. So you're right, that's where we're at.
normie,

You know it wasn't a freudian slip.... an unfortunate example, maybe, but her point was that anything can happen over the next few months... and she's not quitting!

Within a couple hours of the South Dakota remarks drawing attention, Clinton decided to make a personal apology.

"I was discussing the Democratic primary history and in the course of that discussion mentioned the campaigns of both my husband and Senator (Robert) Kennedy waged in California in June in 1992 and 1968 and I was referencing those to make the point that we have had nomination primary contests that go into June. That's a historic fact," she said.

Clinton regrets RFK assassination remark - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times
Quote:
normie,

You know it wasn't a freudian slip.... an unfortunate example, maybe, but her point was that anything can happen over the next few months... and she's not quitting!

Within a couple hours of the South Dakota remarks drawing attention, Clinton decided to make a personal apology.

"I was discussing the Democratic primary history and in the course of that discussion mentioned the campaigns of both my husband and Senator (Robert) Kennedy waged in California in June in 1992 and 1968 and I was referencing those to make the point that we have had nomination primary contests that go into June. That's a historic fact," she said.

Clinton regrets RFK assassination remark - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Obviously I don't know that at all.

You know what else? I don't appreciate being bullied and told I know something--when in fact I do not know that at all. How arrogant of you! That's the kind of presumption that has irked me about the Clinton campaign all along. It's the kind of problem you have when a candidate feels "entitled" to a job.

And here's something else that I hope the Clinton campaign learns. I didn't buy her pathetic explanation the first 10 times I heard it. Merely repeating it over and over and over won't change anything. You can say something a thousand times, that does not make it true. Just like she can deny something a thousand times, but denial will not keep it from happening.

When I said she permanently lost my support with this mistake, I meant it. And so did a lot of other people, no matter how much people try to tell them they should "know" something different.

I'm not a sheep. I think for myself. I research candidates and follow them for years. I know a Tonya Harding tactic when I hear it.

Last edited by normie; 05-27-2008 at 02:48 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wow and triple wow, wow, wow wow. Ok I see it now Hillary moves from New York and heads to Texas so she can help liberate them from tyranny. The Texas Republic shall be saved by Hillary. That would be consistant with her previous history.
What does Texas have to do with anything in this discussion? Ah, yes. You don't want to talk about the billions of dollars the Clintons brought to Harlem so you'd rather rant about me and my state.

If you want to bring up something off-topic in another thread, you might want to recall that it had nothing to do with Hillary. I suggested that Ron Paul, A TEXAN, could be our president of the Republic of Texas. And, no, I'm not working for the secessionist movement. That was a sarcastic remark I made when you suggested that I was going to be in Washington, D.C., to protest with "the ladies." But, frankly, when I see the liberal idiocy spouted here, I'd vote a resounding YES to any referendum that would make Texas independent once again.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM

268 posts, read 100,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oh, they mean the comments Obama operatives spun so they could accuse the Clintons of racism, huh? And, yes, by all means let them picket in front of the Clinton offices (and shops and condos) that the Clintons located in Harlem to revitalize that area. Perhaps the "whiteys" should take their investment money elsewhere and let the black community take over. After all, they've done such a stellar job making Harlem a desirable address!
Clinton chose his office to Harlem for (what's new? any move he makes or statement he utters) political reasons i.e. planning his wife's run for office. And, what makes you think it's been "whiteys" investments? Are you insinuating that blacks have no investments to make there? Are whites the only ones with money? Be careful of stereotpying.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleomayline View Post
Clinton chose his office to Harlem for (what's new? any move he makes or statement he utters) political reasons i.e. planning his wife's run for office. And, what makes you think it's been "whiteys" investments? Are you insinuating that blacks have no investments to make there? Are whites the only ones with money? Be careful of stereotpying.
Uh, it was Pastor Manning (who is black) who said that Bill Clinton brought a quarter of a billion dollars in funding to the development in Harlem. I wasn't "insinuating" or "stereotyping."

Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,461,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A force to be reckoned with in the Senate? CBS news online has an interesting analysis of that.
Yes she will have increased clout and will be a force but she is still a junior senator in seniority with a number of folks ahead of her and Harry Reid having solidified power.
"She is the single most powerful woman in America,
So what that means Oprah is out now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections